Anyone else not very impressed with Project Butter?General

1. Fred G. Vader

Fred G. Vader Well-Known Member

Got the Jelly Bean update from Verizon yesterday and I was just expecting things to be a lot more snappier and quicker than ICS. When I had my Galaxy Note I was running CM9 and later CM10 and there was noticeable differences between ICS and JB. Folders would expand and disappear much snappier than what I'm seeing on the TouchWiz/JB update.

Now opening a folder of apps actually seems slower than ICS. Not only that the way they jumble the apps together to represent a folder just seems messy to me. I have noticed that apps launch a bit quicker and scrolling is a bit smoother.

Another pet peeve I have noticed is that folders stay expanded after launching an app i.e. tap a folder, launch an app, hit the back button and you're back to the home screen with the expanded folder showing. That didn't happen on ICS. None of these are a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Maybe my expectations were too high for JB. :D

Advertisement
    :
  2. pinaklonkar

pinaklonkar New Member

To original poster,

I somewhat agree with you. I wonder if it has to do with fewer cores as compared to the international version of this phone. Albeit USA version has twice the system RAM, but not sure if that memory (or even half of it) is even being utilized by the processes and applications. I am starting to think that USA version got shortchanged, on a side note. And when I upgraded to Jelly Bean yesterday, it only made me think about this again and again.

I believe the BIGGEST issue however is the absolutely ridiculous TouchWiz that Verizon uses. I am sure the vanilla version of 4.1.1 (or 4.1.2 some million years in the future on Verizon) must be significantly faster. I cannot root my phone and thus can't get rid of that launcher.
  3. Fred G. Vader

Fred G. Vader Well-Known Member

Loaded the free version of nova launcher and it resolved all of my complaints. It's crazy fast now.