Anyone else notice how crappy the audio is in the camcorder?General

Last Updated:

1. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Went to Rock on the Range over the weekend, recorded quite a few videos and the audio is absolutely terrible....all you can really hear is static noise from the crowd. You can make out the songs a bit but nothing great, my buddy was rocking a nokia 5800 xpress and the video and audio on it are amazing compared to the Eris.

Pretty disappointing, anyone else experience this or have any tips to make it better?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Peaser

Peaser Well-Known Member

Yeah, same experience. Recorded my kid's concert and while I realize that's a noisy type of environment in a big auditorium, it was really crappy.

3. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Well-Known Member

wow you're right, I just recorded a conversation last night in a bar to show the phone off... standing inches away from my friend. The bar wasn't overcrowded and not that loud... All you can hear is static and background noise, and you can't even make out the words we're saying and we're literally right next to the phone...

4. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

yep.. tried recording myself playing a couple songs the other day. I think I could get better sound quality from a soup can

5. Scouter

Scouter Member

I would expect it to be bad. The camera is facing one way and the mic is facing the other.

6. Nabraham

Yea but it is awful, i mean really sub-par, i think my old razor had better audio recording.

7. Pinkkfrost

Pinkkfrost New Member

Agreed. My kid makes videos and uploads em to Youtube. She'd usually rather just use her webcame we got from a yard sale for a quarter. True Story.

8. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

It's a phone. If you want good audio and video, use a real videocamera.

9. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

Point taken but the microphone on the Eris is capable of good audio. I use Droid Record for recording seminars and things and it works great. It would be nice to have some of that quality incorporated into the native video recording app.

10. Nabraham

Holy crap, Captain Obvious has made an appearance. Thanks for the info! I know it won't blow a camcorder away, but the audio on this is terrible for a smart phone.

11. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

I noticed this as well. what I also noticed it when upgrading to 2.1, the speaker as well seemed to crap out, it has this weird echo now. was never there in 1.5. driving me nuts

12. afharmer

afharmer New Member

It sounds like the microphone is too sensitive and is picking up all the ambient sound. Is there a way to turn down the recording volume? This might help.

13. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Well, first off, its because it uses the horrid AMR audio format for audio. They should really used something like on my Nokia which uses compressed WAV and yeilds much higher audio quality without impacting the file size too much.

The Eris is capable of higher audio quality. Its just the format it saves it in is what holds it back.

14. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

I actually found this out yesterday as well... i recorded a bands acoustic set (it probably didn't help that I was standing so close to the speakers) but the audio was absolutely unbearable... I thought it would be cool to post on youtube since it was a special set (not for the general public) but I would be embarrassed to post something with such crappy sound...