• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else only get 2 bar 4G reception?

earsly

Sep 16, 2010
Hello All,

I just upgraded (possibly downgraded) from a Thunderbolt to a SGN. The phone is awesome except for reception and possibly battery life. Still have to break in the battery life. My question is....Is anyone else getting a maximum of 2 4G signal bars on their phone. My phone hasn't gotten more than 2 4G signal bars. The only time it gets more than 2 signal bars is on 3G. I'm on 3G quite often and I live in San Jose, CA. I'm thinking I may have a defective phone but I bought it brand new on craigslist so I would probably have to go straight to manufacturer.

the nexus reports signal differently than other phones. it is actually more accurate this way.

with that said, the nexus does not have as good of radios as the Thunderbolt does. however, radio updates have helped out a bit and will continue to help the signal "issues" this phone has. never once have i been in a spot where my thunderbolt had 4g and my nexus doesn't. and never have i been without cell service. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

there is a couple things you can do.
1. wait for the 4.0.5 OTA update...coming in April probably.
2.Root the phone and throw on the 4.0.4 radios now, they do help. (you can later throw on the 4.0.5 ROM and radios simply
3. remove your battery and sim card, replace the battery, and boot up the phone without the Sim card.
power down the phone again, remove battery, re-insert the SIM card, replace battery and reboot. this should update the PRL of the phone and you may/may not see a difference. i actually got 4G in areas i could never get 4g even with my thunderbolt. so this method helped me out a lot.

Upvote 0
Turd gave you all great suggestions! I personally had a Thunderbolt and loved it a lot, but I must say this phone has been smoother from the get-go than the Thunderbolt was, I get much better battery life on this phone than the good ole 'bolt. I personally don't consider it a downgrade, but for sure an upgrade! Hope you get your problems fixed and you don't have to replace it or anything.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips. I did the battery/sim switch out (PRL update). Hopefully it helps. I'm considering rooting it as I did with my thunderbolt. If it weren't for the reception and battery life, I would consider this phone usable for years to come.

This phone is in reference to VZW.

I take back what I said about this phone being a downgrade. DEFINITELY an upgrade. =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones