Anyone else re-considering?

Last Updated:

1. dampchimp

dampchimp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I ordered the Desire through T-Mobile direct after getting fed up with O2 mucking me about with release dates.:rolleyes:

Now with the much rumoured delay I am starting to re-consider, not sure if I will just cancel my order if they call me and tell me it isn't out till next week and buy through a third party or through the shop when they release...

I am also losing a bit of interest in this phone in general.

My initial interest in Android was really peeked by the Nexus One. I had pretty much decided that that would be my next phone until the Desire was announced with mild tweaks to hardware and more importantly an official release date.

Some of the recent announcements are starting to put me off though. No docking connectors and more importantly no voice to text are big losses, these were a couple of the things watching the N1 videos that really attracted me.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I will be getting the Desire still.

Any firmware issues will probably be sorted via HTC or a custom made ROM.

3. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

4. dampchimp

I am still getting confliciting views on this. There is no mention of this in any of the specs on the phone and it is mentioned specifically that the Legend doesn't have it. Can't find it on the HTC now, but found it last night.

Would certainly seem odd if it didn't given it is in the Desire ROM for the N1, but guess we will just have to wait and see.

5. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

Yes, I also noticed further posts seem to indicate that it might not be present.

Kind of annoying as I have seen some videos demonstrating the function as surprisingly accurate.

6. gogol

gogol Well-Known Member

7. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

I'm still undecided on this. A few weeks ago after the announcement I was pretty certain I'd get one, but I'm vavering slightly.

I still like my Hero, and the upcoming 2.1 update will make it even better. I'm wondering what extra I'll get out of the desire to make it worth it.

I've compared the screen on my Hero to a friend of mine's N1 and the difference, although definitely there, isn't massive. A nice fast 1Ghz processor looks great, but if the biggest practical upshot is that I get a reduced battery life then I wonder if it's an advantage or a disadvantage.

If I had to pull out

8. dampchimp

It's not just the 2 day delay (or actually 5 day, ordered on the assumption I would get it tomorrow, now seems I won't get it till Thursday or maybe even next weekend at the earliest as no-one would be in to sign for it during the week).

But also some of the features being dropped etc.

That and some of the recently announced phones make it not seem like such an invincible handset anymore Samsung S with it's 4" Super AMOLED display 720p video recording and playback 8GB internal memory, DivX out the box...

Ok, there will always be something round the corner, but that is why I was hoping to get the Desire now and then at least I would have made my decision. :(

9. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

Just out of interest Dampchimp, what phone are you using at the moment?

10. nekromantik

nekromantik Well-Known Member

I agree the Samsung sounds better with bigger screen and internal mem and HD video recording BUT i have had so many issues with Samsung handsets in the past that its putting me off. I still am going for the Desire I think. I been wanting a new phone since January but cant upgrade till mid April so Orange should have Desire by then.

11. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

Check out people's experiences with Samsung. For instance you will see on the 7500 galaxy forum a lot of unsatisfied customers. I for one will not buy their phones again as their support is nearly non-existent.

12. dampchimp

My comment about the Samsung is just an example. I have read that a lot of folks have been really unhappy with their products... So it's probably not a serious option.

I was quoting the above purely from a specification perspective to try and get an idea of what we could expect in say 3-6 months from now.

13. dampchimp

I have a 4 year old Samsung P300 at the monent with which I can just about text or phone someone and that is about it.

I have had a long list of smart phones and others down the years, most recently an iPhone 3G. :eek:

Not having a decen phone at the moment is one of the reasons I am getting impatient as I have a 2 hour daily commute and a decent phone to muck about with is a real time killer.

14. nekromantik

exactly what I said. ha ha

Samsung should stop making phones and just concentrate on TVs.

15. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member

yes i am reconsidering, but not because of delays or anything, but because of this

[​IMG]

I would be devastated if i buy the desire, and a couple of months down the line they announce a european gsm version of the EVO. I have the patience so i'll just wait it out.

16. nekromantik

if they do it will be 3G still and only diff will be bigger screen and 8MP cam.

17. wankingweiner

im very happy with that. I want the screen space, and the 8 MP cam with 720p recording is a big thing for me.

edit: i dont care for 4g either because i dont even have a data plan at all lol. I use wifi..

18. Proudest_Monkey

Proudest_Monkey Well-Known Member

The engadget review (Desire v Evo) just said that everything on the screen (text and pictures) so not really more "screen space"

You would be waiting for a bigger phone with a slightly better camera...

19. wankingweiner

yeah they have the same resolution, but with the extra cm of space, it will be easier to use imo because things are easier to press etc. Also its awesome for movies, and games will look nicer too.

20. Proudest_Monkey

Proudest_Monkey Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

You have to think though - there will always be something better being released a couple of months later... If you are waiting for the evo because it is better, there will be another phone announced that will trump the Evo, it will be released a month later though etc etc

21. nekromantik

Ditto well said

Plus no AMOLED on Evo