• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else sort of over the Red?

Looks awesome! What type of paint did you use?

Thanks! Glad you like it. I used Krylon spray paint. I sanded down the surface first to bare metal to get a good surface for the paint to stick to. Just did lots of light coats. If you try and go too heavy with the paint on the coats, you will end up filling in the holes in the screen. I still had a few holes that got filled after I was done, but I just took a pin through the back of the screen and pushed the excess paint out.

ShortBusHEMI: I took a small sewing needle and went in the from one of the top corners (being very careful). Once you get needle underneath the corner, you just pry out a bit, being very careful not to bend the screen (it's very thin). Go all the way across the top and loosen the screen from the adhesive. Then once you have the top pryed back, you can pull up and the screen will pop out (there are two tabs at the bottom that hold it in). Goes back in the same way.

Now for the bad news; I didn't re-glue the lens cover back down and it started to come loose. So I took my thumb nail and tried to push it down, putting a nice bend in the lens cover (It's made of two very, very thin pieces of stamped aluminum. It bends super easy). But the good news that I found a suitable replacement in the local hardware store (This is steel so it won't bend and sits a bit more flush), but I still need to paint it again. Or I might go a different route (still seeing if it will work). I post a follow-up pick with the results once I am done.

Upvote 0
But the good news that I found a suitable replacement in the local hardware store (This is steel so it won't bend and sits a bit more flush), but I still need to paint it again. Or I might go a different route (still seeing if it will work). I post a follow-up pick with the results once I am done.
You found something the exact same shape as the red lens cover in a hardware store? How?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones