Anyone else think Auto-Correct sucks?

Last Updated:

1. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I keep auto-correct and quick fixes on in Captivate, using the stock Android keyboard over the Samsung one. Today it swapped "Cya" for "Cyanide". Seriously?

Anyone else think the autocorrect just sucks ass all around? I know I can add words that I commonly use, but some of it's suggestions are still mind boggling. What are some alternative options?

Advertisement
  2. kollarism

kollarism Well-Known Member

Use Swype...one of the best features of the phone.

3. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

Yah swype rocks. I couldn't go back to anything else. However, its corrective text prediction has its flaws. No predictive txt will be flawless.

4. Komodo Rogue

Komodo Rogue Well-Known Member

Personally swipe isn't my thing, so I'm using the android keyboard (the samsung one is okay but android's seems better). For me, the auto prediction is EXCELLENT, better than iOS by a mile, and bbOS, and all the dumb phones over the years, but that might be because I just type in standard English; I don't use the cell phone/internet slang like "ttyl" or "bc" or those things. I'm NOT slamming those terms, they're perfectly understandable and to each his/her own, but I think that the auto prediction probably is more suited to standard english.

Maybe they could have an option where you could enable a "shorthand" or "cell jargon" mode so that things like "cya" would auto write "see you" and the standard would make "cya" into "cyanide."

5. cmt074

cmt074 Well-Known Member

I don't have any complaints about it. For the most part it works great when I'm typing in longer words and it spares me from having to type in the latter half of it.

Occasionally an odd word will slip into a text message but it's usually more humorous than anything else. 90% of the time though it's accurately correcting a typo. For instance turning 'thr' into 'the'.

6. Alpha Frog

Alpha Frog New Member

...I installed an app called, "Better Keyboard". So far, it's been decent. I don't remember how much it was - but, I'm cheap...so, it wasn't that much. It has an auto-correct that seems to work pretty well. I don't know if it's using the stock engine or not.

7. Sheon

Sheon Member

+1 on swype ever since i learned it i love it and will never use another touch screen keyboard again i hated it at first but now swype is so damn amazing

8. malibu_rapper

malibu_rapper Well-Known Member

Swype is just as bad sometimes IMO. Not to mention the fact it gets difficult to use sometimes when your fingers are covering the keys you want to swipe to.

I would urge you to try Swiftkey. The autopredict is incredible and you find yourself having to type only a fraction of the keystrokes you normally would.

9. callihan_44

callihan_44 Well-Known Member

i turned auto correction off, I like to abbreviate words because i get lazy and got tired of it filling in the blank with something else...

10. jblaze5779

jblaze5779 Well-Known Member

yeah I switched to the android keyboard

11. AriCaptivate

AriCaptivate Member

I like using swype and just typing anything I know it won't pick up, quite the time saver and fun to show friends when you swype without looking!

12. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I like the Android keyboard the most. The auto-correction only annoys me when it capitalizes the word when correcting. For example, "tou" would be corrected to "You" instead of "you". Why it wants to capitalize, I don't know :confused:

13. Thuneau

Thuneau Member

Cya is recognized by swype. I just typed it using swype here.
    Btw, cya is cover your ass.

14. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

With swype, you can remove words like cyanide that you don't use so it won't pop up anymore. You can always add it back if need be.

To remove it, just Highlight it by tapping it a couple times then hit swype button.

bishop92t likes this.
  15. rfound

rfound Well-Known Member

I haven't tried swype yet for one reason: No voice input. I'm sticking with the stock android one (I like the predictive better than iOS because it gives you more choices along the top).

16. Smoghog

Interesting, around my parts it's just shorthand for "see ya." I hadn't thought about using it as CYA... =)

17. Quackattack99

Quackattack99 Member

I know dumb questions, but how do you turn "auto correct on"?

18. Smoghog

Settings>Locale and Text

Check to see which keyboard is set as your default on the second line, then choose that keyboard and edit its settings. For example, if your current default keyboard is the android one, choose Android Keyboard at the bottom and change its settings.

19. iploya

iploya Well-Known Member

What about this, Auto-Correct seems to have added all my misspellings to its dictionary so that the misspellings are now regarded as "correct." So, it often "recognizes" crap like yhe (for "the") and substitutes that. Thus, it gets progressively worse (not better) with use - the more words I mis-type and don't catch, the more new wrong words it adds to the dictionary.

I haven't gotten around to trying to figure out the settings for this. Anyone know?

20. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

Swype has its problems. Instead of selecting the word "Call" it does "Cal" I know im suppose to do that little swirly thing over the C but it doesnt always see it. Why the hell did they put "Cal" in the dictionary. That is something that should me manually added if you have a friend Cal or talke about calories or california all the time.

21. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

Another vote for swype here. I switch back and forth between my captivate and my BB Bold (for GPS reasons) and I hate typing on my BB now.

22. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

It does suck! It'll correct similar words to something I don't want yet won't correct words that are obviously misstyped. It actually gets in the way more than it helps.

23. MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01 Well-Known Member

Adding a word takes two seconds. Problem solved.

24. automagrt

automagrt Well-Known Member

Yes, this is so annoying! It doesn't do this all the time but for a lot of words it capitalizes them when it auto-corrects.