Anyone Else think HTC are a bit out of order?

1. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

Seems to me everyone is so grateful for the Rom update that we haven't had time to be hacked off about it.
    I work in software and the size and number of these updates says to me that HTC knew about many of these issues before the handset shipped and were already working on fixes them. There is no way things like the camera upgrade are bug fixes found after go live. Someone (probably an accountant) decided that it was OK to ship even with the defects and that when they were fixed it was OK to have an update system that forced us all to completely rebuild our phones or partly rebuild them if we were prepared to buy a third party app to back them up.
    If HTC seriously want to take on the Iphone they are going to have to be a lot slicker in future. Just having a great product is not good enough you need the whole package if you want mass market appeal.
    In the end they may have shot themselves in the foot. This update may have largely fixed the lag but all those early reviews are still out there and people concidering this phone will still find them and be put off for months or years to come. Don't get me wrong I love it and would not change it for an Iphone or anything else I am just sad that such a great product has been so badly tainted by poor customer service and niggling faults.
    Rant over

Advertisement
  2. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Just be happy its fixed now.
    Most things start out like this on the software side, live with it.
  3. malbon

malbon Well-Known Member

Maybe if you had to pay for it but you don't ! Annoying all the same but its of no financial gain to them. Maybe to engage users to add on products was the strategy
  4. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

It is an awesome phone with the minor glitches. Now its better. There will never be a bug free smartphone. So the decision of when it is "good enough" is subjective and will differ from person to person.
  5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

PDA/Smartphones are extremely software dependent. They have thousands of separate functions, so of course there will be bugs. At least HTC admits to their error(unlike Apple) and at least HTC doesn't charge you to upgrade (again, unlike Apple).
  6. unknown-singh

unknown-singh Active Member

Everything starts with issues, just how things work in life they release the first batch get feedback on issues then release update or new version.

you should be glad HTC have worked out these issues and have released a free update/patch, were as other phone companies just release devices with several software/ hardware issues with no support whatsoever.

I've had a few HTC devices (all windows mobile) sure they had a few problems but knowing there will be a update sooner or later to improve the device is great. HTC are a decent company and offer some great devices with the best UI's i have seen, and now that there releasing android devices just makes them better.

HTC Hero FTW!!!
  7. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

The phone was totally useable before the update IMO. I've had slower phones that everyone accepted as they were.

As for the iPhone, that gets updates near constantly, doesn't it? It's just done via iTunes with little updates instead of massive fanfares and multiple fixes in one hit.
  8. ndall

ndall Member

I agree. For the mass market appeal needed to take on the iphone you want a product that just works out of the box. The "we can just patch it later" attitude (which isn't restricted to HTC, it seems to be almost ubiquitous in the software world) really won't wash when you're competing against a product like the iphone.

The other major drawback vs the iphone is the quality of apps in the market. Obviously the range of apps will improve over time, but whilst android's freer system has its advantages, a decent proportion of the apps there are buggy, force-close regularly, hog resources for no good reason, and/or have specific problems on certain handsets. With Apple's approval system (and the fact that there are only 3 hardware iterations for developers to consider), downloading apps is a slightly less hit-and-miss process.

On the plus side, we get multitasking, all that nifty facebook integration, a beautiful Sense UI spattered with cool widgets, a compass, better keyboard, 5 megapixel camera...
  9. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

Multitasking and Widgets are what the Hero is about and reason to have one over and iPhone.

In six months the iPhone will do it better though, probably.
  10. unknown-singh

unknown-singh Active Member

Android, will grow and get better over time,

i think Android will come out on top, once a few more devices are released some improvements to the app store, and some general tweaking, early days for android yet but there is great potential, especial as Google is behind it, look at what they have acheived so far:

Search engine
    maps
    Google Earth
    Gmail
    Google Videos
    Google Chrome browser
    Google sketchup
    Google Android
    Google OS (under development, gonna give Microsoft a run for their money!)

and more ...

Sure the iphone looks great, and is doing well sales wise, but its had more time in development and has grown with users. The only thing iphone users have a up on us is with the app store, and possibly itunes (but that's a whole other thing)

other than that the Hero can do all the iphone does and more.
  11. ButchersBoy

ButchersBoy Member

"I work in software"

I also work in software, and to be honest 99% of systems wouldn't go live if people hung around trying to tidy up every bug before go live. That is just the world we live in. Software is organic.
  12. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

It's the way of the world these days, a deadline is a deadline as far as the money men are concerned. I personally don't have a problem with it, my phone works fine without the ROM (I'm T-Mobile and am still waiting for the official update from them - I'm not considering rooting as I'm really having no problems and don't require any software the needs a rooted phone to use). However, I'm sure, like me, you all read plenty of reviews on the Hero before taking the plunge, right? And I'm sure 99% of those reviews only had a handful of bad things to say about the phone, with the biggest one being the laggy performance. The phone may possibly have been considered by the media as a much stronger iPhone competitor than many reviewers gave it credit for if it were released post ROM update.
  13. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

To answer the question, no, I don't think HTC should release stuff when everything is ironed out, otherwise, it would be out of date when released. It is a bit like Agile, when small interative improvements are made.
  14. chrisjenx

chrisjenx Member

I work in software, we have months of testing going back and forth and bugs still make it into production. Really the main difference is apple started out with a lot less on the table. less features less bugs. android offered a lot from the start, there are going to be teething problems.

Mature software is still buggy, to be honest I'm amazed android works as well as it does now. and the awesome amount of custom ROM's for the dream and magic is something apple wont let you do (easily) with there phone.

But to answer the initial point, there were no noticeable (HTC) bugs which would be called 'show stoppers'. So its really hit and miss, but yes i do think they should of been on the ball a bit more.
  15. alistair182

alistair182 Member

I agree to some extent with the opinion that bugs are always going to exist and it is better to get something to market mostly working and iron out the smaller kinks with updates to keep competition moving, new functions and features coming to market etc.

However, the fact my T-Mobile G2 Touch has NEVER received all messages sent to it (I would certainly call that a "Show stopper", and indeed some people after updating are still suffering this problem) is completely and entirely inexcusable. When HTC responded to me they said they "believe" the new update fixes my problem. Why only "believe"? Surely they built the thing and as they claimed they were aware of this fault it should surely be a priority?

Don't care about lag, don't care about silly little annoyances here and there, but major functionality issues such as this could and should be getting taken more seriously by HTC (as well as all carriers of the handset in its various guises).

Would definitely call them a bit out of order on that one.