Anyone else thinking of waiting for the 3.0 devices?

Last Updated:

1. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was excited to sell my incredible and get the X, but after the announcement that the 3.0 devices will probably be out around Christmas, I think I'm going to wait and see if a higher res phone comes out. The X looks great but there are enough features that it doesn't have that are important for me to warrant waiting. Anyone else feel the same way?

Advertisement
  2. X.droid.X

X.droid.X Guest

what features does the droid x not have that you want?
    also, yeah i sort of agree with you

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Technology changes everyday.

When 3.0 comes out, 3.5 may be on the horizon as well.

4. 8-Bit-Soldier

8-Bit-Soldier Well-Known Member

it's too true.... :( I was in love with my Droid till June 28th when Google said the 3.0 requirements. *sigh* Why does tech evolve so fast?

5. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

If you keep postponing buying a phone you like in order to wait for a better one, you'll never buy a phone. I've been doing the same thing for 2 1/2 years now.

6. jhut

jhut Active Member

In the past I've always wanted the latest and greatest gadgets, but I'm probably waiting on 3.0 or even longer. Phones are just too expensive for me to keep upgrading all the time. When I was stuck with AT&T using the iPhone it was one thing. An upgrade once a year isn't so bad. But with all these awesome Android phones coming out so quickly I can't help but wonder what the phones will be like if I just wait a year until I'm elegible for upgrade.

7. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I can upgrade phones every year, so no, I'm not thinking about waiting for a 3.0 device.

8. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can technically upgrade to the X on the 15th, but if I wait until Jan 27, I get it for $50 less using my NE2. Of course, there are at least 2 other phones coming out before then, so do I jump at the X now, or wait? Hell, by then, the X might be on a Buy 1 Get 1 just so they can clear them out for the next ones!!! Decisions, decisions!!!

9. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Agree if you keep waiting there will always be something just around the corner with that philosophy you will never have a phone you will always be waiting. The X is gonna be a good phone that will continue to be updated and stay up there for who knows how long but if you want to wait then go ahead but there is nothing in stone saying about 3.0 in dec

10. durangojim

I agree, but it seemed like the orginal Droid was a gamechanger compared to the G1 or other Android phones at the time.

I'd like a front facing camera, I'd also like a 720x1280 4.3" screen and maybe LTE or world phone capablility. Maybe a faster processor, but that's not all that important to me.

I know these specs might not be important to others, but after I got over the initial coolness of the X, I realized it wasn't that big of a step up from my incredible, which I have rooted. So really, the only thing that's better is the larger screen. When I switched from my Droid to the Incredible, the speed difference was apparent and so was the screen (for the worse IMO as I'm not a fan of the pentile matrix). If the X had a front facing camera with Skype usability over 3G, I'd probably get it (and am betting with VZW's connection with Skype, we'll see it before the end of the year).

11. durangojim

I haven't been postponing. I brought a Droid on day 1, and and Incredible on day 2 of it's release, just waiting to see what I'll get next.

12. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

NOT ME! 2.2 is dandy!

13. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

i get a phone every 8 months or so. So while youre waiting for the next best thing, i am enjoying the CURRENT best thing and preordering the next best thing.

3.0 is far off, cant even think that far ahead yet as far as phones go......

14. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

lol, maybe to you that is the only thing. I can list several, both hardware and software

15. SoulWeaponry

SoulWeaponry Well-Known Member

You gotta have something in mind that you're looking for if you think waiting is best. If you're waiting for a retina like display, then cool. Wait. If you're waiting for lte. Wait. If you're waiting and don't know what for, just get an x. It'll get 3.0 anyway

16. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

While I agree that the Droid was a game changer, I would have to say the G1 was as well, I mean first Android phone has to count for something.

Also the G1 came out way before the Droid did. But the G1 didn't have the best hardware but it was all about the OS baby.:D

17. Buckeyes

Buckeyes Member

not me i'll take the Droid X

18. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

Good for you. Not everyone has that kind of money.

19. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

They have cheaper phones you know? so it can be done on a lower budget.

now if your taste is worth more than your pockets, thats your issue really. not mine, sir.:eek:

20. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

As alot have said there is always something new coming. You have to decide what you need and upgrade when there is a phone that meets your needs/wants and you can afford to upgrade.

Yes I would love a higher res screen and faster processor. But I am getting the X as it fills my needs. And at this time next year I can consider if it is important and if I can afford another upgrade.

21. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

It's clearly the TC's issue as well. It's obvious the TC is talking about waiting for the next best phone, not the next cheap phone. That certainly wasn't the TC's point and you know it. If money wasn't an issue, we'd all be getting the next best thing all the time and this post would never have been started.

22. gamby

gamby Active Member

Just buy the phone on a 1 year contract that way you can upgrade sooner if something comes along that really fits the bill as a perfect phone.

23. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

heres another option for those too lazy to think.

get phone, take care of it. sell it.get new toy (might have to add 100), rinse, repeat...

there are many ways....
    this hobby isnt free. You have to pay to play, you know?

Dont hate the player, hate the game you love.;)

24. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

There is always something better on the horizon. The only reason I could see wanting to hold off would be if you are in one of the 25-30 markets that will get LTE rolled out on Nov 15. Then if could make sense to wait and get an LTE handset. But otherwise it will always be but this is coming.

25. Negativism

Negativism Active Member

Ditto