anyone else waiting for phones beyond the Droid X

Last Updated:

1. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Being that i have the original droid and its not a year old, i think im just going to wait to get a new phone. Rooting has already taken the droid to 1ghz and beyond, plus froyo is available too. Verzion will be redoing their network soon, so that means many phones will be useless. I really would like to tryout the droid x, but the only way for me to get it is to pay outright or buy it off of ebay. The droid 2 will be coming out soon, but the specs on it are kinda shady right now. These are just my thoughts. What are yours?

Advertisement
  2. chr1sny

chr1sny Well-Known Member

I've been interested in upgrading but haven't seen anything that really blows me away. My rooted Droid has kept me pretty content. I need a substantial tech upgrade (not just screen size). I think when 4G phones (preferably with a keyboard) come out, I'll probably have to upgrade.

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

I am definitely waiting. The Droid can still do everything I want it to do and run every android program made. My next phone will definitely be LTE capable, have a front facing camera, Android 3.0 and hopefully a DTV tuner.

4. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Well-Known Member

The droid-x isn't all that impressive to me. Ill be waiting for the Droid 2 and if that's bad I will keep waiting till a great phone like the droid comes out.

5. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

Verizon redoing their network does not make a phone useless. If you are referring to Verizon's rollout of LTE, the DROID(and all other phones) would still work just fine on Verizon's network....you just wouldn't be able to use the LTE part of the network.

I am waiting on the 2Ghz phone from Motorola by the end of the year.

6. godfish

godfish Member

I'm waiting for the new 4G phones and the economy to get better for me.

7. cevMkV

cevMkV Well-Known Member

waiting for 4 g

8. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Seeing as how such a large number of people bought the Droid and helped put Android on the map I would think a really awesome next-gen phone will be hitting Verizon right around the time early adopters'of the Droids 2 year contract runs out.

So I'll wait until November 2011 for my neural implant compliant, fully HD holographic Droid Infinity thank you very much.

9. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Im waiting until Motorola's "super phone" at the end of this year! I've had an update available since Feb. and have been waiting for the class of phones that will come after the 1ghz phones.

10. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Going to wait for the famous 2Ghz phone, and see of it's worth paying before my upgrade time, I got my droid on 11/6/2009

11. EMSguy

EMSguy Active Member

got my droid 11/6/09, will be getting whatever phone I think is the best on verizon(probably something from HTC) 11/6/11, unless of course there is another super android phone on its way.

12. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

What he said.

13. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

The Droid rooted will be able to keep up with the X. Next year the X and iPhone 4 are going to feel like a blackberry 8830 compared to all the Android phones that will start coming out toward the end of the year with 3.0. That "retina display" will be the retina of a blind person compared to the 720p-ish phones that will come out. Why you need that much pixels in a 3 inch screen I don't know.

14. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I'll wait for a Gingerbread (or even Honeybun?) Droid 3 running 2.5Ghz on a 4G network. We're talking another YEAR before I get an upgrade... until then I am more than content with this: the single most useful device I have ever possessed.

15. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I'm getting the Droid X. I love the screen size enhancement, divx playback, mobile hotspot, and losing the physical keyboard (which I never use). Also, and this is huge for me, it looks like they re-designed the headphone jack. I'm on my 2nd Droid, the first had a loose headphone jack. I love my Droid, but don't need the keyboard. My wife never upgrades, so I'm using hers. Then, if something better comes out for 4G, then I'll get that one :)

16. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Im not waiting specifically for 4G. I really don't even want 4G for about another year. It's kind of useless to pay extra for something that has very limited coverage. (assuming they go with the different plans for 3G and 4G as expected)

17. yournamepenor

yournamepenor Well-Known Member

i might wait for the new 2ghz dual chip phones to trade. but i likey the X

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Personally, the Droid X is hella sexy to me. I think I would DIG it. But my upgrade date isn't until August of next year, IIRC. Since the budget is tight, I'll probably be sticking with my Droid for the foreseeable future. And I'm not the least bit disappointed about it!

19. damule6666

damule6666 Well-Known Member

Exact-A-Mundo.. +1:D

20. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

I bought my Droid knowing that more impressive phones would follow soon thereafter. I also bought my Droid knowing it would easily satisfy my every need for the ~2 years before I could get another phone at a subsidized price.

21. softscrubb

softscrubb Member

Droid X had my eye until I started reading about Motorola bragging on an upcoming 2GHz droid.. I'll wait for that.

scrubb

22. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

I'll be getting the Droid X since I get to upgrade once a year. My only reservation was that it would prohibit me from getting the next generation iphone in January if that's indeed when it comes out.

I guess I'm just fortunate to be in a position where I can try out all the latest and greatest phones.

23. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I just traded in my wife's Eris for a Droid yesterday (Verizon had me pay $149 for it, but better than paying full retail price). It's eligible to be returned within 30 days and I'm seriously considering trading it in for the X. I'm fine with my rooted Droid. I did root her Droid yesterday, but more for me to have another phone to play with and not really for her to get better performance out of it. All she really cared about is that it's got a pink theme on it. I've gone back and forth about this. She's not one who really cares about having the best new phone (and I'm not either), but I can't help but be tempted to get the X. The only downside, though, is that I read some rumors about it essentially being locked down. Meaning the chances of it being rooted are pretty slim.

What to do... :confused:

24. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

Why would you want to get an iPhone? And this, of course, is assuming iPhone-coming-to-Verizon rumor #134 is true, unlike the previous 133 reports of it happening.

25. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

My next phone will be something LARGER than 4.3" with an even better physical keyboard as a result, and it will have an LTE radio. Considering how fast Google is pushing out updates, we might be on whatever's after Gingerbread by then.