Anyone else with this messaging problem???General

Last Updated:

1. DroidDoes...Fail

DroidDoes...Fail Member This Topic's Starter

Sometimes when I receive messages it makes the notification sound and will show message in notification bar but the text of the message will not appear in the text thread. Used to happen every once in a while, now doing it multiple times a day. I use Handcent but I doubt that is the problem because the messages dont show up in the regular messaging either. Just want to see if i am alone with this problem. Any fixes would be greatly appreciated!

-Brad

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello, Brad. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to see you're having that issue with text messages. I'm afraid I do suspect the app you're using, but that is only because I don't recall seeing missing message bodies reported with the stock messaging application (although that problem could possibly be posted somewhere around, I trust you did a search ;)).

Assuming it's not related to an errant setting in the application, which you should check first (I've never used that app), perhaps you could try saving your existing messages and contacts, then de-installing Handcent and re-installing after a reboot.

Incidentally, in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/90034-handcent-issue.html

they're talking about updates to Handcent. Perhaps your issue will wash out with one of those updates as a bug did for one user reporting in that thread.

3. DroidDoes...Fail

thanks for the quick response. I have tried uninstalling Handcent and leaving it off and it still does it with the stock messaging.

4. Frisco

You've got me wondering how your signal strength is (a hard to determine factor given the oft-reported inaccurate signal strength and battery level indicators in 2.1).

Other than that, I'm having trouble remembering if I've ever seen this issue reported in other than Outlook.

5. dawnstacie

dawnstacie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Dumb question, but did you open the thread of the message and scroll down? I notice I have to do that a lot on handcent.

6. DroidDoes...Fail

Signal strength is good because i still get the notification tone and in the notification bar it shows i have an unread message. But no matter how i check the message (using the link in notification bar or going to handcent and clicking on the thread) the message is not there.

Dawn- I know what you are talking about but I have scrolled down and even replied and still does not show the other persons message.

Its very strange and its pretty random as far as location and time that it happens. I was just hoping someone else had this problem and had a fix lol

7. Frisco

It is not happening with all messages?

Do the missing message bodies have anything in common, such as from the same sender, or of certain length (found out by asking the sender if you can), or from only a certain carrier?

In some areas carrier-to-carrier signal can be truncated, weak or intermittent.

8. DroidDoes...Fail

Unfortunately not. I have tried to narrow it down but there are too many variables. Totally random. Didnt do it at all today though. I do appreciate all the suggestions though!

9. Frisco

Sorry we weren't able to come up with a solution. Data loss would be one of those "deal breakers" for me, along with telephone issues ("silent call bug," laggy dialer, etc) that would make me take the device back to the store for a replacement (if they can't fix it there while you wait).

Fortunately my Eris has never exhibited any of those things, although the forums are full of reports of them.