• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone else with Unrevoked3 getting a Triangle error when updating OTA 2.2

Totally works. 1. download the froyo update 2. change name to "update" (without quotes). Change only the name. Leave the "zip" extension alone! 3. take out your evo battery and remove your SD card. Put it in your computer and drag the new file to it (or hook your phone to the computer via usb cable and drag the new file to SD card). 4. replace card (if you removed it) and battery and re-start phone (see 5) 5. hold the "up volume" button while starting the phone. 6. navigate to "bootloader" with up/down volume buttons (mine was already sitting on "bootloader") and select with power button. 7. find and select "recovery" (again with the power button). Phone will boot into recover mode. 8. select "apply update.zip" (again with the power button). That's it. It will take your phone about 5-10 minutes to completely recover. Don't worry about the box with a green arrow coming out of it pointing to a little android guy. That's part of the process. When it's all done, you will have Froyo 2.2, you didn't wipe or lose anything (except root), but Superuser permissions app will still be in your apps. However, you are not rooted. How do I get rid of superuser?
I followed these instructions and I am getting "can't open/sdcard/update.zip(no suh file in directory) installation aborted"

Any help. I downloaded the file to my computer and then changed the name to update.zip and then put it back into my phone. No dice. Any help?

Upvote 0
Totally works. 1. download the froyo update 2. change name to "update" (without quotes). Change only the name. Leave the "zip" extension alone! 3. take out your evo battery and remove your SD card. Put it in your computer and drag the new file to it (or hook your phone to the computer via usb cable and drag the new file to SD card). 4. replace card (if you removed it) and battery and re-start phone (see 5) 5. hold the "up volume" button while starting the phone. 6. navigate to "bootloader" with up/down volume buttons (mine was already sitting on "bootloader") and select with power button. 7. find and select "recovery" (again with the power button). Phone will boot into recover mode. 8. select "apply update.zip" (again with the power button). That's it. It will take your phone about 5-10 minutes to completely recover. Don't worry about the box with a green arrow coming out of it pointing to a little android guy. That's part of the process. When it's all done, you will have Froyo 2.2, you didn't wipe or lose anything (except root), but Superuser permissions app will still be in your apps. However, you are not rooted. How do I get rid of superuser?

Thank you! After a full day yesterday screwing around, I can't believe it was this simple installing Froyo while rooted with Unrevoked 3. I tried several methods with multiple steps with no luck. This worked great!

So now there is no use for SetCPU and Wireless Tether? Are most removing this applications?

Upvote 0
So once downloaded I change the file firmware.zip to update.zip. WinZip won't allow me and just locks up. I then tried running in recovery mode selecting the firmware.zip file and I get an error indicating the file is bad? Options?

You probably downloaded the update from the link posted above. I've done some homework and was in the same boat as you. Apparently there are some .zip files floating around which are just plain "bad". I don't remember where i downloaded the update from but you'll just have to google it. Plus it's the incomplete .3 ruu anyway. XDA has the "completed" .6 ruu. Do the same steps as mentioned above except with the .6 ruu and you'll be one happy camper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones