• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto 360 not keeping correct time

I'm having the same issue. This morning I noticed my watched was about 30mins ahead of a) my phone and b) everything else. I restarted the watch and that seemed to help, but as the hours progress it seems to get more and more ahead (effects seem to be cumulative). I don't think it has anything to do with the connection to my phone because the time on my phone is correct.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Mine is doing this as well, slightly embarrassing, a watch that can't tell the time.

If I restart, it's sorted in the short term. I can aslo change the time on my phone and then change it back, this puts it back in sync.

This must be fixed, it's the most important feature.

FYI I'm pairing with a Nexus 5.

Upvote 0
Mine is doing this as well, slightly embarrassing, a watch that can't tell the time.

If I restart, it's sorted in the short term. I can aslo change the time on my phone and then change it back, this puts it back in sync.

This must be fixed, it's the most important feature.

FYI I'm pairing with a Nexus 5.

I'm thinking it's a phone issue. How is there a problem with the watch if it relies upon contact with a phone for the time?

They supposedly fixed the bluetooth connectivity issue. I haven't experienced this problem yet and I'm not connected to my watch all day long. Which company produced the Nexus 5? The HTC One M8 has been pretty solid with the smartwatch.

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem over the last few days. Had my Moto 360 for 3 weeks now with not a problem at all, received the Android Wear update and I had similar results as reported online - better battery life, more stable Bluetooth connection, etc.
Then the time on my watch started going awry, moving forward in I think 4 minute intervals. Only restarting the watch helped, but of course I had to double-check the time on my phone every time I looked at my watch to notice. Sort of defeats the purpose of a watch, smart or not!
And NOW just this evening my watch had stopped responding to core smartwatch functionality; I still receive notifications / emails from on my watch from my phone, the time is currently correct on the watch, and I can perform random Google search queries ("Ok, Google ... who is the Prime Minister of Canada?") and it reports back just fine.
But - I can no longer set a reminder, for instance. "Ok, Google ... Remind me to <blah blah>" and it says it can't reach Google. But it can! Because I can perform Google searches from the watch, and I can say "Ok, Google ... Set an alarm." and wait for the prompt. But if I say "Ok, Google ... Set an alarm for 9:30pm tonight" it just pops up a Google search that I can open on my phone.
Again, I've been using my Moto 360 CONSTANTLY for the last 3 weeks with none of these problems. And now I've gone through the reset cycle several times since the time on my watch started being incorrect a few days ago ... I clear data on Android Wear on my phone, uninstall AW, turn off Bluetooth. Reset device on my watch, then follow on-watch prompts to reinstall AW on my phone, re-pair Bluetooth, and so on. Ad nauseum. The watch just isn't working properly anymore regardless of going through complete reset cycles of my phone and watch both. AND I've contacted Motorola tech support a few times now, they admit I've done everything correctly and there's nothing more to do than exchange the watch. Which I will do tomorrow, but don't expect any changes as this is obviously a software problem that should have gone away with a full device reset. Argh. I really liked my Moto 360 :(

Upvote 0
So, seems like afternoon / evening of October 6th was a "bad day" for Android Wear ... judging by the massive numbers of frustrated comments on the Google Play store about the AW app I think Google's cloud services supporting Wear devices had an update that hosed a lot of the basic smartwatch functionality (for me, I couldn't even set a reminder, a timer, plus a bunch more). Fixed now, and frustrating from an end-user's perspective because I didn't update anything on my watch or phone yet my experience was "totally ruined" by cloud service changes beyond my control.
While all that other stuff was resolved by morning without me doing anything at all, my watch still keeps wrong time. Which is pretty silly for a watch!
It seems, though, that if I stay off Wifi (i.e. LTE only) on my phone my watch doesn't time-drift. Can't imagine why, but when my phone is on Wifi if I walk out of range and the watch disconnects, when I'm back in range my watch has often time-drifted and only a watch restart will fix it. With my LTE-only connection, I haven't had this happen 2 days in a row. YMMV.

Upvote 0
So, seems like afternoon / evening of October 6th was a "bad day" for Android Wear ... judging by the massive numbers of frustrated comments on the Google Play store about the AW app I think Google's cloud services supporting Wear devices had an update that hosed a lot of the basic smartwatch functionality (for me, I couldn't even set a reminder, a timer, plus a bunch more). Fixed now, and frustrating from an end-user's perspective because I didn't update anything on my watch or phone yet my experience was "totally ruined" by cloud service changes beyond my control.
While all that other stuff was resolved by morning without me doing anything at all, my watch still keeps wrong time. Which is pretty silly for a watch!
It seems, though, that if I stay off Wifi (i.e. LTE only) on my phone my watch doesn't time-drift. Can't imagine why, but when my phone is on Wifi if I walk out of range and the watch disconnects, when I'm back in range my watch has often time-drifted and only a watch restart will fix it. With my LTE-only connection, I haven't had this happen 2 days in a row. YMMV.

You bring up a good point. On my EVO 4G back in the day the time would be wrong. It was my Wi-Fi router time that was off that was causing the problem when I connected to it.. I had to update the software for my router in order to fix it.. That could be the culprit for all of these guys on the forum.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update on this. This happened several times in the first 2 days, but it hasn't happened since.

I don't think this is down to re-boots as I re-booted both phone and watch on those first couple of days to try and sort the issue.

This may be way off the mark, but perhaps the watch learns, bear with me here.

Perhaps the watch has some sort of internal time keeping mechanism that ticks at a certain hz but varies between hardwares (watches). Maybe this has to calibrate itself over time, i.e. X thousand ticks = 1 sec. As you know, a lot of watches use the vibration of Quartz to keep time, maybe the moto uses something relating to the cycles of the processor.

Let's say the watch checks in for the time with the phone every 30 mins. At this point it works out how far it's out and makes a small adjustment (not the full adjustment) to the number of ticks = 1 sec. It keeps doing this until it's accurate each time it checks in. This process may take a day or 2, and then it's pretty good at keeping time on it's own.

Obviously they've picked a value out of the box that should be fairly accurate, so for most people they don't notice, but for some devices it's out by quite a way, so the adjustment takes some time.

I'm going to leave mine disconnected for the next couple of hours and see what time it says after that.

The above is probably a pile of horse sh*t, I expect they just sorted the time syncing in the Android Wear update.

Update: 2 hours disconnected and it's within a second.

Upvote 0
I love my Moto 360, but suddenly a couple of days ago, the time reset to two hours behind, and the date reset to 1 (which puts it three days ahead). It has been consistently keeping time since then, but I don't know how to fix the time and date. I have done a factory reset, and am only using stock watchfaces. I paired/unpaired several times with my galaxy 5 phone. The date and time are correct on my phone. I was thinking the time being off by exactly two hours (for two days now) could have something to do with time zone, but I have no clue why the date would change. Please help! Is there any way to actually SET the time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello this morning when I woke up I noticed that my moto 360 had the wrong time it's date was December 31 1999 and was around 19 hours ahead. I have factory reset it and nothing I have also restarted my phone and watch multiple times but still nothing. I have had my moto 360 for about 10 months and nothing has ever happened like this. Please help!

Upvote 0
Hello mine this morning at 4:30 AM had 9:20 PM for the current day, while my phone had the correct time. I did a factory reset on the watch, I then shutdown my watch, removed any pairing from my phone, cleared cache and data from AW app, removed AW app, used a cache cleaner on my phone, rebooted my phone, installed AW again. Turned on the watch, still had the wrong time, paired it to my phone again, successful pair, synced and updated apps correctly, however, still had the wrong time. Checked WiFi, GPS, Data network for correctness, all good, but watch still had incorrect time. Frustrated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones