• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help anyone else's USB wall charger block make a high pitch sound

Zellgadiss

Lurker
Jan 24, 2011
Was wondering if anyone elses does this. Its very faint but i notice it at night. When you unplug it it makes a oscilating noise then stops. This is with the cable plugged in and without. It is most definatley the block and not the phone. Im scared to plug it in to it now. :(

If anyone is willing to check yours for me you may need to bring it close to you to hear it.

It's just a function of transformers. They all tend to make some noise, it's just often too high-pitched for adults to hear.

That said, I have noticed that the whistling is higher pitched occasionally, and I've noticed that just occasionally the phone detects the charger as USB. My battery notification says "Charging (USB)". Unplugging it and plugging it back in again stops the whistling, and changes it back to "Charging (AC)".

The whistling doesn't always disappear, but often gets quieter. It might be worth checking this, if the noise is particularly bad...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones