Anyone found a Sprint Android that can get GPS fix with phone radio off completely?

Last Updated:

1. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The so-called "use wireless networks" setting in my Samsung Moment's location & sec. is a placebo, if not simply a dirty lie. Uncheck it and you're bound to believe your GPS (not aGPS) is working great. But then you either turn off the phone radio (e.g. through "Advanced Settings" app) or enter a dead-zone, and something new happens--nothing. Filthy liars.

So, has anyone's Sprint Android managed to get an honest GPS fix in the above scenario?

Advertisement
  2. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

I do not know who told you that you had a full GPS, but you actually have an A-GPS. Read about it. It almost definitely needs a cell (data) connection.

On a different note, no one lied. Use wireless networks is a setting that uses the network only. No A-GPS. It triangulates with towers, giving a margin of error that renders the data relatively useless.

-Nkk

3. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Posted on a strikingly similar thread yesterday, and yes, my Evo can get a full lock on my location down to 5-10 meters with all radios off. In short, all Samsung android phones have shoddy GPS in them and it is unreliable. HTC, Motorola, and most third party manufacturers are the ones that have them with fully functioning, really accurate GPS.