• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone get a refurb yet?

gonzoguy24

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
Aurora, IL
I am going on my third droid now which will come in the mail tomorrow. My second droid was brand new, out of the box. It had a very loose screen and now that I am out of my 30 days, verizon is mailing me a refurb. Anyone get a refurb yet? I have a feeling all build quality problems will not be an issue due to further testing of the refurb units, but I am just being hopeful. Anyone out there get a refurb yet??? What were your experiences???

I hope its like brand new or i can see this getting out ugly. I will send this phone back as many times as it takes until i am happy.

When i called the other day i was 31 days after my purchase date.

Had high pitch ringing noise while on calls (not all of them)
Oh and my update failed OTA and Manual.

I told her i don't want the phone if it cant get the update. I could handled the other stuff. I always got a ringing in my ear anyway :)

Upvote 0
Ya, they sent me a refurb a few weeks ago when I was having problems with my droid. Although the verizon guy told me they were mailing me a new one, it came in a white cardboard box and the pamphlet said "like-new recertified" so ya it was a refurb. Anyway, it was flawless and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I am very happy with it and after doing extensive testing with it over the few weeks I have had it, it has been perfect. I wouldn't worry :p Oh and btw, it is a 42-09 model if that makes any difference.

Upvote 0
I was sent a refurb and got it last friday. It looked and seemed brand new and the odd thing was that the manufacturing date behind the battery was 47/09. Last week was 49/09 so i have a good feeling it is actually brand new. I dont see how it could be manufactured week 47 and be sent to verizon to be purchased from someone and then for someone to return and get sent back to verizon for testing and then sent to me in 2 weeks.

Also it was shipped to me with 2.0 but not even 5 minutes after i had it activated it asked me to update to 2.0.1 so i was happy about that.

One issue i had though was it did not automatically download all of my apps. I am not sure if it was a fluke or if it was because i immediately update to 2.0.1 but all i did was reset to factory defaults(which still kept 2.0.1) and then add my google account again and everything was fine.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Upvote 0
Yea the apps probably took about 20 minutes or so to all download. I had 50 apps i believe. The screen seems fine to me. Very tight and no play.

One way to know if everything worked correctly when you add your Google account is if it sets your background back to what it was on your previous phone. That is what it did for me when the apps downloaded. The first time when the apps didn't download it set my background to the original droid cement wall looking background.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones