anyone get yahoo emails to work?

Last Updated:

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Active Member This Topic's Starter

been trying for a few days now with no luck..
    yahoo mail?
    anyone have success?

Advertisement
  2. sebsal

sebsal Well-Known Member

I've got it working. Go to your yahoo mail in a browser, click on "your mobile" and follow the instructions. It'll tell you the yahoo mail client isn't supported on HTC Hero but will give you instructions on how to get it to work

It then gives you exact details of how to get Yahoo mail with the built in mail software on the phone. It works great, i use it along with my Virgin mail

3. t3monkey boy

t3monkey boy Member

no joy with this, its telliing me to input these settings for incoming

Protocol/Account type: IMAP4
    Incoming IMAP4 Server: imap.mobile.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Incoming IMAP4 Port: 143

then its saying i need authentication failed please verify username and password.

There is no imap4 account just IMAP? does this matter

anyone know whats happening?

4. sebsal

sebsal Well-Known Member

That's the settings I used. Just used imap. You have to use the email address it gives you to set it up, which will be a long number@yahoo.com.

Your email still arrives and is sent with your correct email address but for some reason you need to use the long number for the setup

5. sebsal

sebsal Well-Known Member

Just to add, your username is not your normal username its the long number@yahoo.com, as is the email address you enter.

It does all work though

6. t3monkey boy

t3monkey boy Member

Will give it a try cheers

7. bigkahuna

monkey.. i get the same error message..

8. bigkahuna

according to yahoo, without the upgraded version of their mail service, you "cant" forward emails to other accounts....

first i still cant get my contact list from outlook to transfer, now you cant get emails to forward to it. Great phone, but seems like theres alot of things that just hasnt been well thought thru or been properly researched before hand.

9. sebsal

sebsal Well-Known Member

I assure you I can do it and i dont pay Yahoo anything

10. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem. This morning it just started working again. I was launching my browser and going to yahoo.com and signing on to my mail that way. I have to do that sometimes as the mail program doesn't recognise my custom folders

11. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

yahoo doesn't give free accounts access to use IMAP or POP, FYI.

12. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

this must be a UK thing because there are no instructions for us yanks other than to send a link to our phones or go to m.yahoo.com/r/mail.

13. tonie

tonie Member

14. bigkahuna

Tonie is king, or maybe queen for the day!
    awesome tweak!
    LOL all i need now is a easy way to transfer my contacts and im all set!
    thanks and aloha
    D

15. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

My Yahoo mail works than doesn't work. It's as though the link between yahoo and the phone April gets lost.

16. scarletslipper

scarletslipper Member

but being able to actually work in it is another story. The only folders that show up are Inbox, Sent, Trash, and Draft; I've got probably 25 other folders and many of them are specific filtered folders so list emails go directly to these folders. I can't see these entries.

I also can't delete groups of emails. There's no check box to click and then delete a bunch at one time. I have to open each one, click the menu, click the settings, click delete.

I am not the least bit impressed with this lack of functionality.

Any suggestions? Thanks! --- scarlet slipper

17. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

My yahoo email just stopped working. It worked the whole week then today poof. Stopped working. Boo.

18. Bob_the_giraffe

Bob_the_giraffe Member

19. bigkahuna

<<still working

20. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

Here in the UK, you can get pop no problem IF you have yahoo PLUS.
    I *believe* that official imap functionality has been released only to iphone users for their push system.
    I know there's a workaround for UK users to set their location to asia, but retain language in english. pop is available without PLUS in asia/

21. sebsal

sebsal Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK. I use IMAP for free without any Asia workaround. I'm not sure why this is causing so many problems for people. What I did

1) log in to yahoo mail on a computer
    2) in the top right corner of the screen there is the options Your Mobile | Options | Help
    3) click on "your mobile"
    4) It will ask you to confirm your mail password
    5) Will oask for your phone type, number and handset
    6) Will tell you mail app is not supported and gives you the following settings for setting it up with the HTC mail app

Encryption: none
    Mailbox/Account: (this will be a long number DIFFERENT to your normal email)@yahoo.com
    Password: (A mixture of letters and numbers DIFFERENT to your normal log on)
    Outgoing SMTP Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Ougoing SMTP Port: 2525
    Alternative SMTP Port: 25
    E-mail address: (this will be a long number DIFFERENT to your normal email)@yahoo.com
    Receive/Get: choose only heading or heading & text
    Signature: your signature (optional)
    Copy outgoing: off/no (optional)

Along with various other info about IMAP etc

Make sure you use the email address and password given here, not your normal one. Don't worry, it all works out in the app and sends and receives as your normal email address

This method works for me, it's free, and I also have 2 other email accounts set up with HTC mail app

Hope this helps

22. aggrodoc

aggrodoc Active Member

I simply cahnged to Yahoo Asia and Vola! it is working. I am getting all my emails on HTC now. Only problem is I am also getting all spam emails as well. Anyone knows any way of stopping them from coming in to inbox?

23. MF1

MF1 Well-Known Member

I am using the HTC mail package to pick up and send emails through yahoo fine. I do have one issue though, I set it up using the imap settings given to me. I thought IMAP would sync with the yahoo mail but mine does not. If I delete an email from my phone it only deletes it from the phone. If I read an email on my phone it is still unread when logging into Yahoo.

My GMAIL and work email both sync, which is much better.

Has anyone managed to get yahoo to do this?

With regards to syncing contacts I have set my phone to use Google contacts from my GMAIL account. This also syncs with my address book on my mac. Yahoo also Syncs with my address book on the mac meaning I can add/edit/delete a contact on GMAIL - YAHOO - MY PHONE or MY MAC and it will then duplicate the change over the rest of the platforms, very impressed!

24. Bob_the_giraffe

Bob_the_giraffe Member

I think emails which are @yahoo.co.uk have pop access, but I signed up to @yahoo.com (I don't remember if there even was an option, my location was UK, but it defaulted to that). Those addresses needed Yahoo Plus to activate POP.

The Asia workaround is brilliant :D

unfortunately I've not found a pop client that I like for my for my HTC Hero so have reverted to using a bookmark direct to yahoo via my browser :rolleyes: but the option is ace!

25. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

I have two different sbcglobal accounts working just fine. They are the same thing as a yahoo account. i could not get them working at first then I called tech support and we got it going. Got the error message then it allows you to go to settings. It asked me for an pop and stmp or something like that. I had to type in stmp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and then the same thing but with pop or something along those lines. it automatically put in the port numbers as I changed those and it worked. Email me if you have any idea what I am talking about and i can look more specifically on my phone. It has worked perfectly and updates every 30 min like a charm. Wish I could say the same for my battery life. getting about 4 hours out of it even with all the "fixes"