• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone get yahoo emails to work?

I'm in the UK. I use IMAP for free without any Asia workaround. I'm not sure why this is causing so many problems for people. What I did

1) log in to yahoo mail on a computer
2) in the top right corner of the screen there is the options Your Mobile | Options | Help
3) click on "your mobile"
4) It will ask you to confirm your mail password
5) Will oask for your phone type, number and handset
6) Will tell you mail app is not supported and gives you the following settings for setting it up with the HTC mail app

Encryption: none
Mailbox/Account: (this will be a long number DIFFERENT to your normal email)@yahoo.com
Password: (A mixture of letters and numbers DIFFERENT to your normal log on)
Outgoing SMTP Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Ougoing SMTP Port: 2525
Alternative SMTP Port: 25
E-mail address: (this will be a long number DIFFERENT to your normal email)@yahoo.com
Receive/Get: choose only heading or heading & text
Signature: your signature (optional)
Copy outgoing: off/no (optional)

Along with various other info about IMAP etc

Make sure you use the email address and password given here, not your normal one. Don't worry, it all works out in the app and sends and receives as your normal email address

This method works for me, it's free, and I also have 2 other email accounts set up with HTC mail app

Hope this helps

This seems to have worked perfect for me.

Couple of questions
- which mail widget do people use? The HTC one (like the sms one) is not great?
- is there anyway to save emails sent from the phone in the yahoo sent folder?

Only had the hero for a couple of days and I'm so impressed.

Upvote 0
I'm in the UK. I use IMAP for free without any Asia workaround. I'm not sure why this is causing so many problems for people. What I did

1) log in to yahoo mail on a computer
2) in the top right corner of the screen there is the options Your Mobile | Options | Help
3) click on "your mobile"
4) It will ask you to confirm your mail password
5) Will oask for your phone type, number and handset
6) Will tell you mail app is not supported and gives you the following settings for setting it up with the HTC mail app

Encryption: none
Mailbox/Account: (this will be a long number DIFFERENT to your normal email)@yahoo.com
Password: (A mixture of letters and numbers DIFFERENT to your normal log on)
Outgoing SMTP Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Ougoing SMTP Port: 2525
Alternative SMTP Port: 25
E-mail address: (this will be a long number DIFFERENT to your normal email)@yahoo.com
Receive/Get: choose only heading or heading & text
Signature: your signature (optional)
Copy outgoing: off/no (optional)

Along with various other info about IMAP etc

Make sure you use the email address and password given here, not your normal one. Don't worry, it all works out in the app and sends and receives as your normal email address

This method works for me, it's free, and I also have 2 other email accounts set up with HTC mail app

Hope this helps

Damn - thought this was going to be it... that "long number DIFFERENT to your normal email @yahoo.com" sounds like it could well be what I need.

But... the instructions don't work. Once I click on "your mobile" (step 3) it doesn't ask for my password or my phone type etc. Just gives me a page going on about their mobile site m.yahoo.com/mail, and the only interaction available is to enter my phone number so that they can text me a link to it.

Has this changed in the last couple of months, or am I doing something wrong?

Is there another way to get that "magic number" and password?

Upvote 0
I just gave the Hero my yahoo email address and password and it did the rest. No messing whatsoever... very quick, very easy. But I do have a yahoo.co.uk address (not plus either) maybe that's the difference...

I think that will have set-up pop access. Which is OK, but I'm after imap, as I will be using both the phone and the online mail, and want to keep them in sync...

Upvote 0
Aagh - so close!

Set it up via Yahoo! Mail: Your email on your mobile - basically your account name becomes YOUR PHONE NUMBER@yahoo.com and you get given a password for this.

This actually all worked, went through set-up with no errors, and I hit refresh in HTC Mail, and in came... one message, "Welcome to Yahoo Mail on your mobile". I sent my yahoo an email, in case it was only showing unread, but this didn't show.

And then, 10 minutes later came this, the only other message to show up in the inbox:

Account Updated

[FONT=&quot]Our systems show you have changed your Yahoo! Mail account. To keep receiving Yahoo! Mail in your mobile, please log-in via the following link[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] <http://uk.mobilemail.yahoo.net>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Please contact us if you need further assistance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Thank you![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Your Yahoo! Mail Team[/FONT]

So, my interpretation of that is "You've been rumbled, we're not going to let you use this, you've got to use the mobile web version".

Any way round this?

Upvote 0
Update: All very patchy, which is a shame, as I was presuming that once I had a working account set-up, it would work fully!

Basically, not all emails appear in the phone, and it doesn't work as a proper imap account - updates on the phone do not appear to be replicated on the webmail - it's more like a pop account.

Anybody got a clue what is going on here? is the PHONENUMBER@yahoo.com account a seperate account which just pulls one-way from my main yahoo account?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones