• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone getting by without a screen protector?

iploya

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2010
Anyone getting by with no screen protector? I know there are lots of threads about this having Gorilla glass.

I have been using a Zagg shield just to be safe though. I know some people aren't thrilled with it but I found a guy at Best Buy who reallly took his time and did a flawless job, so it works well. But I am tempted to go with a naked screen so there is nothing there to obscure my display.

I'm not asking for recommendations on other screen protectors (I read about some nearly invisible ones in other threads). I am mainly just wondering whether I really need anything, short of dropping the phone.

No protector for me. I'm not worried at all about my screen. If I had a history of damaging my screen I would have one but I tend to be very protective of my phone. I'm not convinced that it has gorilla glass, but almost so...if I wasn't I totally would have a protector. I love the naked screen...not sure now if I could go back to a film.

Upvote 0
Got my phone 3 days before official release have yet to use a screen protector. still looks brand new. I work in a cnc machine shop, where i work on all kinds of metal from titanium to aluminum to stainless steel, and metal particles will get everywere. one of the reasons i was worried bout whippin out there. A couple of swipes with a clean cloth and its brand new again. Very durable, yay gorilla glass!

Upvote 0
I've had the phone about a month and a half now and haven't had a screen protector on it at all. I've kept the screen facing my wallet in my left pocket, and haven't had any issues at all. I'm pretty confident in the durability of the screen. (That said, any time I have a fine, linear scuff, I panic for about half a second... then wipe it off, and wonder what I was worried about.)

My brother, on the other hand, has a couple minuscule scratches from use on the beach (which I was also guilty of), but nothing actually on the touch screen area. He wasn't too upset about it, and it didn't shake my confidence at all.

Upvote 0
I have had mine bare since launch day (Jul 18th?) - no case, no film. I am very happy. I know some people like the protectors that reduce fingerprints, but then you sacrifice clarity.

My iPhone did without one for 2 years - and i sold it on eBay for the $200 I paid for it, My MotoQ never had one, and i eBay'd it too after 2 years. The last thing i had that had a protector was a PDA, but they had plastic screens that could get scratched from the included stylus.

Upvote 0
S
Mine has been bare since launch day. This is my first smartphone so not sure if that is the right thing to do or not but so far so good and crossing my fingers that it will stay that way. I do have a seperate pocket in my purse for it and I have the body glove case on it.
I'm also using a Body Glove, what I really like about it is the ridge around the case next to the display, is high enough to allow me to place it face down on my desk or other flat surface which protects the display.

Upvote 0
I would get the ones from ATT that are 3 for $10. Surprisingly good quality and the guy installed it for me. If you're concerned with the screen quality, then never use a matte or anti-glare screen protector, and invisible shields or anything that requires a liquid to install usually have the "orange peel" effect and may reduce the quality a bit.

Upvote 0
I've had mine since launch... almost two months now, and no screen protection. It goes in my pockets with keys and change and everything else, and is doing just fine. I have a small scratch on the back of the phone, but that's it. I think screen protectors are over rated these days. I know the older iPods had serious scratching issues, but I haven't used one in the past 3 years or so and all my gear seems to be scratch free - on the screen anyway. Now if they could only make the rest of the body this scratch resistant!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones