• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone getting false notifications?

I keep getting email notifications from my droid, but when I bring up my inbox there is nothing new there. I get like a dozen of these a day. Anyone else having this issue?

Are you sure that they are email notifications? I know that I get notifications for everything: download complete, charge complete, email notification, facebook notification, twitter notification....

I tried to change the notification tones for a bunch of stuff so I can differentiate between them all. If you pull down the notification bar at the top of your home screen, it should show what the notification is for.

Upvote 0
I do know the difference between the notifications (voicemail, email, text, etc.) And I havnt found it to be an issue of checking rmails on the computer. On the contrary I thought that WOULD be an issue but there hasnt been an issue between checking email in two different sources. Ive been away from a computer all day, and I have since received a notification an hour for new mail and when I click on the notification there are no new emails in my box. tried a battery pull but I still seem to be getting them. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
haha you tried a battery pull? You must be from Blackberry... You know you can simply turn this product off and then back on and that is the equivalent of a BB Battery pull. That is as long as you turn it off and reboot the thing from zero. I can't say I've had any issues of false notifications other than things that I read elsewhere... You sure you're wife isn't reading your emails? ;) j/k

Upvote 0
I do know the difference between the notifications (voicemail, email, text, etc.) And I havnt found it to be an issue of checking rmails on the computer. On the contrary I thought that WOULD be an issue but there hasnt been an issue between checking email in two different sources. Ive been away from a computer all day, and I have since received a notification an hour for new mail and when I click on the notification there are no new emails in my box. tried a battery pull but I still seem to be getting them. Any other suggestions?

I wish I did. I haven't had any issues with it. I did have email in the gmail as well as the email client. I deleted the accounts from both of those programs when I downloaded K9. It allows you to set signatures for all of your accounts and I like that. I'm only getting notifications when I actually get an email. I did notice that the led is now a magenta color since I switched to K9 for email. (Thanks to whoever it was that listed this as an app to download.)

Upvote 0
I'm getting the false notifications as well. I have e e-mail accounts setup. 2 are pop accounts and 1 is an Exchange account. The GMail account I have disabled from sync. It is really annoying and I can get multiple notifications during the minute or 2 that I am checking to see what e-mail I may have received, yet none are new. I even checked Spam folders for all accounts including the disable gmail account. this really stinks.

Upvote 0
I have a Yahoo (IMAP) and an Exchange account set up. I seem to be getting notifications from both systems. My issue is what happens when I click the notification to read the email. When I click a Yahoo notification, sometimes it sends me to the Yahoo mailbox (yea!) and sometimes to the Exchange mailbox (boo!). Same with Exchange notifications... I would be happy if it would just send me to the combined inbox, but I don't see anyway to set that...

--Bill

Upvote 0
I get the false notifications too. My settings are to check for new messages every 5 minutes and I get a notification every 5 minutes with no new mail. I have had the notification go off 3 or 4 times in 5 minutes while i am reading an email or clicking through the messages.
And i am sure it is email notification because I have a different ringtone for it and I always get the email icon in the top bar. I tried the reboot - didn't work so i did a battery pull, too (yes, I'm a former BB user) - didn't work. I have gone through all my settings I can think of and I can't find anything that could be causing this.
It started a couple days ago and is getting annoying. Around the time it started, I had made no changes to the device or downloaded anything to it but a couple .pdf docs from trusted email sources - material data sheets and such.
I'd be thrilled if someone could tell me what to do about this!

Upvote 0
I get false notifications too. I see them at the bottom of my list usually too but they are also random false "unread" markings.

I hope this gets fixed some day.

OOh. I usually only get one notification in my notification bar for new e-mails even if I have like 15. It says 1 new e-mail not 15 or what ever. I'm considering jumping ship to iPhone to see if that works better. If not I'm going to just upgrade to another android faster newer phone. This is the longest I've had a phone. I have a Droid from day 1.

Upvote 0
You get notice of an email.
You already accessed the email via your PC and web browser. And there you delete the mail. When you check your phone the notification is still there but the email has been deleted from the server, hence no email.

Or you have set it to delete from whatever client you use to access the account, your phone or the PC. so the other sees there was mail but now it's deleted.

Upvote 0
i used to get those, i think it came every time the signal went, i think you can fix it in the settings.

what settings? Where?

You get notice of an email.
You already accessed the email via your PC and web browser. And there you delete the mail. When you check your phone the notification is still there but the email has been deleted from the server, hence no email.

Or you have set it to delete from whatever client you use to access the account, your phone or the PC. so the other sees there was mail but now it's deleted.

No. Just as some one stated before. It is the same case for me. I have not touched a computer the entire day.
I use gmail. 2 accounts BOTH of which i have this problem for and BOTH of which do NOT have any auto delete settings.

I use the email client on the Captivate ( not the gmail app because i use 2 account).

Has anyone solved this?

Upvote 0
what settings? Where?

No. Just as some one stated before. It is the same case for me. I have not touched a computer the entire day.
I use gmail. 2 accounts BOTH of which i have this problem for and BOTH of which do NOT have any auto delete settings.

I use the email client on the Captivate ( not the gmail app because i use 2 account).

Has anyone solved this?

Stock gmail app supports multiple accounts - I have 4 right now, including a GA (FYD) account. The stock email app leaves a lot to be desired

Upvote 0
Stock gmail app supports multiple accounts - I have 4 right now, including a GA (FYD) account. The stock email app leaves a lot to be desired

that depends on what you classify as "supports".
Yes, you can have multiple accounts, but gmail app ill only PUSH one account (the acctivated account). The app is useless if its not going to notify me of the emails from my other account. I would use the gmail app in an instant if it pushed both.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones