• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone got a Nex 7 AND a big screened phone

haahh, fair enough.

I think my research has gone to the point where I should go for a N7, just becuase the other option ( SSD ) is too expensive, even though it's cheaper than a N7.

Question: 16Gb, or 32GB? Are the speeds the same? Cos I noticed a review that showed the 32Gb Nexus was faster than the 8GB...

Size, I'm not too bothered by, I can manage with 16, but if the 32 is a lot faster , I'll get hat. Otherwise I was thinking of getting a USB Flash drive and use it via OTG.

Edit:

it's sort of been answered, but getting a big Note 2 won't affect use of a tablet / won't make a tablet redundant, will it? May have to have a chat to see if I can upgrade, and what I can upgrade to

Edit Edit : scrap that, I just saw a comparison vid, and the Nexus is still al lot bigger than a NoteII.

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with the screen IMO.

that's definitely "opinion". I can clearly see jaggies on text, and the color saturation is LACKING. Other than that and the awful BT audio dropouts (and even dropouts using the built in speaker or headphones), I like the N7. It is NOT by any means without it's faults. My Note 2 doesn't drop out the audio in any mode.

Upvote 0
You say you're not bothered by size now, but for the extra £40, I'd stump up and get the 32GB.

What sort of accessories do you think you'll need?

OTG cable
Case - I think
Screen protector?
Stylus - although they're probably rubbish

I don't know if I should get anything else....

Is there anything else round the £150-250 mark that's better than a N7 then?
I don't know if I would use the speaker as I pretty much always use my Bose on ears - laptop, PC, phone..... Everything but the TV ;-)

Upvote 0
OTG cable - Micro USB Host Mode On The Go OTG Cable for Nexus 7: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Case - Black Luxury Multi Function Standby Case with Built-in: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (not an amazing case, but it does what it needs to.)
Screen protector - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexu...N4PC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357057980&sr=8-1
Stylus - although they're probably rubbish (You get one with the case I linked to, they can be handy, but not essential)

I've also just got a keyboard & case combo. The keyboard is a little small, but the case is great: IVSO

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy Note 2 and recently bought a Nexus 7 3G. Now that I have played with it a bit I'm wanting a 7" phone. A Note 7 would be awesome. I use a bluetooth earpiece most of the time anyway. My eyes are not what they used to be and I never seem to have my reading glasses handy so the bigger screen is great for me.

Upvote 0
The Spec Fit is gorgeous, especially the blue one.

I know what you mean re screen protectors, never had one on my WildFire S and the screen is immaculate. That being said, both tabs, the OneX and my old DHD had one. If you get a decent one you won't even know it's there and I'd much rather have one and not need it, than vice versa.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I really wanted the transformer prime for my classroom (I am a 4 grade teacher) and the nexus 10....I got the N7 and the portability and form factor are what sealed the deal. Plus the screen is beautiful and I am an avid Shadowgun:Deadzone player and the performance is absolutely stellar. N7 and you will be more than happy!

Upvote 0
The Spec Fit is gorgeous, especially the blue one.

I know what you mean re screen protectors, never had one on my WildFire S and the screen is immaculate. That being said, both tabs, the OneX and my old DHD had one. If you get a decent one you won't even know it's there and I'd much rather have one and not need it, than vice versa.

Speck FitFolio for Google Nexus 7 Case Review - YouTube

It looks alright. I dunno if I like the plastic on the back. Also, the blue isn't as dark as it looks on Amazon.

Edit:

Actually, compared to other cases, I think the Speck would do well.

I also like this case http://www.amazon.co.uk/BoxWave-Goo...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357218472&sr=1-12

Upvote 0
that's definitely "opinion". I can clearly see jaggies on text, and the color saturation is LACKING. Other than that and the awful BT audio dropouts (and even dropouts using the built in speaker or headphones), I like the N7. It is NOT by any means without it's faults. My Note 2 doesn't drop out the audio in any mode.
I can see jaggies too, but the screen is like, 200 dpi, which is far higher than any computer monitor I own. And I'm not sure on the saturation. Its definitely not as saturated as my Galaxy Nexus, but that's because the colors are TOO saturated, due to the SAMOLED display. Although I do agree its a little too under saturated. But alas, the colors are fairly close, so I'll live.

The audio dropouts seem to be a bug. Like if I turn off the screen while listening to music, it often starts stuttering like crazy. Makes me wonder if its going into sleep mode regardless of the fact that the music service is running.

Upvote 0
Audio drop out when the screen is off shouldn't be too much of a problem since I would be watching videos on my N7 and listening to music on my PC/Phone.

Would be nice to fix the bug though.
It has to be a bug or kernel related or something, I highly doubt its a problem with it hardware wise. I have a hard time believing that a device that can muster PS2 level games at HD resolutions has trouble playing MP3's in the background of applications.

I'm using the "Bricked" kernel on my Nexus 7 and SmoothROM, and it still has those random background stutters, even though its performing fine. So maybe its something that Asus and Google can patch up.

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones