• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone gotten a refurb yet?

Have you ever had your Eris replaced?

• YES

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • NO

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

smittythepig

Android Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2009
Richmond, VA
My phone just doesn't want to consistently make calls (audio problem - either i can't hear the other party or they can't hear me) and I am pretty sure it's my phone as I don't hear about that happening much here. It's gotten twice as bad since upgrading to 2.1. I hate the idea of a refurb but I might have no choice.

Just wondering if I might still have a chance of getting a new handset. For those who have definitely gotten like-new handsets, what condition was it in?

Thanks.

I actually just got my refurbed from dropping it in the toilet...

The guy at Verizon told me with the eris being still fairly new(only 3-4 months old)most of the refurbed devices aren't technically refurbished devices..which means even tho you are filing an insurance claim you run the chance of getting a perfectly brand new phone

I actually am debating to go back to 2.1 which had it's on bugs because i'm remembering how slow it is to do stuff on 1.5

Upvote 0
cool. thanks everyone. this phone is going back tomorrow. doesn't ring anymore. most calls have no audio. can't use speakerphone. just totally messed up. my worry is they will see 2.1 and say i can't get an exchange. i wonder if they have any refurbs or exchanges in stock at the store or if they always have to order these from the warehouse.

Upvote 0
i doubt the will notice too much.
Just make sure the homescreen looks virtually identical to 1.5
and don't do anything to tip em off...

i.e. pinch zoom on the home lol

then again, if the verizon store near you is anything like some of the stores i've been to
they can see you have 2.1, see all the enhancements and still think you're on 1.5

I swear a bunch of idiots work in this local store back home in jersey.
Although im not complaing because their stupidty benefits me

Upvote 0
well, i got my FRU. can't tell if it's a refurb or not. no blue sticker. though i don't recall ever seeing a blue sticker on phones i know were refurbs before. but those were dumbphones. not sure if smartphones are different. all the paperwork alluded to it being a like-new device. but maybe they send the same paperwork with both new and refurbished phones. the phone had some protective blue sticker stuff all along the fake chrome accents, cut perfectly for the accents. i suppose they might stick a new housing on previously used hardware.

at any rate, it looked pretty much brand new. and best of all it seems to be more reponsive and the call quality seems much better. my wife says it sounds better and doesn't break up in the same spots like the old one. she had tons of trouble hearing me on the old phone, even in areas of very strong signal, because of cutting out and poor audio quality. i also had the issue where i would receive calls and there was no audio coming in or sometimes going out. and the phone would often not ring and would restart regularly when adjusting the volume. i haven't made enough calls yet to see if that audio problem is entirely fixed but so far so good.

lastly, and surprisingly, the touch-sensitive buttons along the bottom are much more sensitive and responsive. i had two Eris before and it seemed like the phone decided when it wanted to respond when you touched those buttons. i barely have to tap these things (and it doesn't matter exactly where) and they respond, much like the touch screen.

hopefully things stay this way.

Upvote 0
When my eris had a dead pixel, I brought it in to my local store and got it replaced. The rep wanted to give me a refurb, but since it was within the 30 days, I asked for a new one and a new one I was given. I'm not fond of refurbs. My mom had 7 (or something around that number) razr v3m refurbs, and my father had received 4 or 5 treos.

Upvote 0
well, i got my FRU. can't tell if it's a refurb or not. no blue sticker. though i don't recall ever seeing a blue sticker on phones i know were refurbs before. but those were dumbphones. not sure if smartphones are different. all the paperwork alluded to it being a like-new device. but maybe they send the same paperwork with both new and refurbished phones. the phone had some protective blue sticker stuff all along the fake chrome accents, cut perfectly for the accents. i suppose they might stick a new housing on previously used hardware.

at any rate, it looked pretty much brand new. and best of all it seems to be more reponsive and the call quality seems much better. my wife says it sounds better and doesn't break up in the same spots like the old one. she had tons of trouble hearing me on the old phone, even in areas of very strong signal, because of cutting out and poor audio quality. i also had the issue where i would receive calls and there was no audio coming in or sometimes going out. and the phone would often not ring and would restart regularly when adjusting the volume. i haven't made enough calls yet to see if that audio problem is entirely fixed but so far so good.

lastly, and surprisingly, the touch-sensitive buttons along the bottom are much more sensitive and responsive. i had two Eris before and it seemed like the phone decided when it wanted to respond when you touched those buttons. i barely have to tap these things (and it doesn't matter exactly where) and they respond, much like the touch screen.

hopefully things stay this way.

This is good news I might not be so hesitant now

Upvote 0
I decided to look for my radio version (from the radio leak thread), and I noticed that there's a "refurbished status" in the display. Mine says "not available". I did receive a replacement through the mail in January. Must have gotten a new one.

i can't figure out how to check this still. i press ##778 or whatever the code is, but can't see where to then select 'view'

they did send me a replacement versus doing it in-store. wonder if that means it's more likely to be new. probably not. i guess i've gotten several refurb dumphones sent to me. they just usually seem to have those in-stock. i'll also have to be sure to check this one carefully for dust. refurbs seem to not be sealed very well. though even new devices commonly have this problem.

Upvote 0
i can't figure out how to check this still. i press ##778 or whatever the code is, but can't see where to then select 'view'

they did send me a replacement versus doing it in-store. wonder if that means it's more likely to be new. probably not. i guess i've gotten several refurb dumphones sent to me. they just usually seem to have those in-stock. i'll also have to be sure to check this one carefully for dust. refurbs seem to not be sealed very well. though even new devices commonly have this problem.

Call: ##778
View Mode
Display

Scroll Down

Upvote 0
Call: ##778
View Mode
Display

Scroll Down

thanks. seems it just didn't work the first couple times. maybe i entered the wrong numbers.

anyway, my best guess would be that refurb status showing 'unavailable' would suggest it's new, and that if in fact it were a refurb it would have something in there. or at least that's what i would like to believe ;-) mine says unavailable as well. or perhaps they just neglected to update the phone's software to show the refurb info even though it is a refurb. guess there's no way to be 100% sure. though the manufacturer's date on mine is late Feb. and if that's correct i wouldn't think the phone would have been able to be returned and processed and sent out again in less than a month.

Upvote 0
thanks. seems it just didn't work the first couple times. maybe i entered the wrong numbers.

anyway, my best guess would be that refurb status showing 'unavailable' would suggest it's new, and that if in fact it were a refurb it would have something in there. or at least that's what i would like to believe ;-) mine says unavailable as well. or perhaps they just neglected to update the phone's software to show the refurb info even though it is a refurb. guess there's no way to be 100% sure. though the manufacturer's date on mine is late Feb. and if that's correct i wouldn't think the phone would have been able to be returned and processed and sent out again in less than a month.

I received my replacement Eris in January. The manufacturer's date on mine is November '09.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones