Anyone had success with Ally wifi tethering?

Last Updated:

1. gradiusnine

gradiusnine Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

After hours and hours of searching various sites and forums, I have not found the answer to this simple question:

Has anyone had success in using wifi tethering on a rooted LG Ally?

I haven't found any conclusive evidence that tethering (typically via Barnacle) works, just statements saying "I installed it, no data transferred but I haven't looked at it," etc. My wife bought an LG Ally and I'm up for one via buy one get one free, but I would probably switch to the BOGO Droid (confirmed tethering) if no one has successfully tethered an Ally (we'd like to save the initial $$ difference between the Ally and the Droid, otherwise we'd just go with the Droid).

Lastly, I am specifically referring to wifi tethering (aka hotspot) - My wife currently uses PDANet on her Ally via USB with success, but we'd like the option of sharing the connection w/ other devices.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. bitrate

bitrate Member

Barnacle, at the moment, is the only tethering service that woks flawlessly for the ally.

I do have issues connecting a netbook running Backtrack from time to time, but Mac and Windows work perfectly. On win7 I found that it is even more reliable than PDAnet

-elijah

gradiusnine likes this.
  3. gradiusnine

Thanks!

I neglected to mention that I was going in to the Verizon store to make my decision shortly after I made my post - we went ahead and stuck with the Ally. Based on Elijah's post, looks like we made a good choice! Sounds like I'll be playing around with rooting this weekend :)

4. bigstar21

bigstar21 New Member

I'm trying to run through the steps to root the Ally first and even get stopped right at the first statement. My wget says 'permission denied'. Can anyone help?

5. cdsmith

cdsmith Well-Known Member

Bigstar, the wget command is not intended to be run from the Ally. It's a command to run from your command line in a Linux system. If you don't want to use wget, just type the URL into a web browser and save the file from there.

6. gradiusnine

Just wanted to post a follow up... using the wifi-tethered connection (using Barnacle) I now have on my rooted LG Ally! ;)

I'm running Windows XP and followed these instructions to root:
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-ally/110156-how-root-lg-ally.html#post1044836

I downloaded the 23 mb zip file referenced, used the "rootally.bat" file and followed all of the other instructions exactly. It took a few tries (and exits) on the adb shell to get my # root prompt, but I got it as described in the post. Followed the Terminal Emulator install and check instructions (two posts following post above) and here I am, writing this via ad-hoc wifi! Performed the same exact process to enable for my wife's Ally as well. Took 5 minutes the second time around!

Android rocks, and so do these forums! Thanks everyone!

7. SuperMerg

SuperMerg Active Member

LG Ally rooted. Barnacle installed, "Processes started successfully". Laptop detects ad-hoc wireless network. When connecting, laptop times-out and connection fails.

I'm running Vista, not XP. Anyone have any suggestions? TIA.

And thank you gradiusnine, for doing all of that legwork you did on these forums. I followed right behind ya. :p

8. jeffball55

jeffball55 New Member

I've managed to get to 3 different tethering products to work. PdaNet works flawlessly on Windows XP, without root via USB. Proxoid works well on Linux through USB without root. I have to restart the app on my phone every couple of hours, but that's not really too big a problem. Barnacle Wifi works flawlessly, but you have to have root access.

9. cdsmith

Jeff, I've found easytether works nicely on Linux, too. There's a deb package for Ubuntu/Debian based systems, and it just creates a new Ethernet interface for you. No root needed. Once you root, of course, Barnacle is also possible, and more convenient... but sucks enough power that you'd better not be planning on charging the phone at the same time via your PC USB port.

10. SuperMerg

SuperMerg Active Member

I've been using PDANet w/ USB Tether. It's AMAZING. It's 2/3 of my DSL land-line speed.

Finally figured out my issue w/ Barnacle. I don't ACTUALLY have root access.

As I followed the rooting process on these forums, I dled LG Mobile Updater and unwittingly updated... something... THEN I finished the rooting process.

Superuser Permissions is listed in my phone. But, Titanium Backup says it doesn't have root access and Barnacle doesn't work.

So I've got voided warranty without the benefits of root functionality :-S (TOTALLY my fault for not having more of a clue).

Is there any way I can UN-update (without root functionality)? Or root it?

11. cdsmith

SuperMerg, sounds like you just forgot a step. I'm going to guess that you didn't do the chmod command after copying su. If you have the Superuser Permissions app, then you got something onto the phone! Try it again, it might work.

If you want to "un-root" the phone, it's actually a piece of cake, *except* you'll need a working root first. Once you have that, just do this (remember, the $ and # are prompts, so don't type them):

$ su
    # rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    # rm /system/bin/su

By the way, if the update you're referring to is the V9 update from LG, then I can tell you that root *does* work after the update. As always, there's a timing/luck issue with asroot2, so you'll need to just try over and over again until it works. Took me about 12 tries at running asroot2 before I got a real root prompt after I updated this morning.

12. cdsmith

To be clear, the commands I gave are to be entered into a terminal emulator on the phone. I like ConnectBot; you just want to choose "Local" as the connection type when you start ConnectBot, then you can type the commands above.

13. SuperMerg

SuperMerg Active Member

What a supremely informative and helpful post! Thank you!

I am now officially rooted. I got Titanium Backup downloaded and working. Barnacle returns no errors (but my laptop can't connect to it).

I even updated OTA to V8, and RE-ROOTED with no problems. Titanium Backup STILL works, and Barnacle STILL returns no errors(but my laptop STILL can't connect to it).

I've worked through some of the debugging tips recommended on the Barnacle Site, mainly setting a static IP for the connection. I've tried with both of my laptops (both Lenovos running Vista).

Have any of you run into this kind of issue before?

Am I missing simple laptop settings?

14. Morte

Morte Member

To get Barnacle working. Go into your settings and clear out the boxes for LAN/WAN interfaces. defaults are rmnet0 and wlan0 i believe. Make em empty and restart.

15. SuperMerg

SuperMerg Active Member

Yeah, I've been doin' that part. But when I start barnacle again, it runs without a hitch, and it re-fills those LAN/WAN with rmnet0 and wlan0...

16. SuperMerg

SuperMerg Active Member

Got it. Updated laptop's wifi drivers. Runs seemlessly.

17. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

anyone having trouble rerooting their ally after doing the manual update to v9? after step 1 of stage 2 all i get is the following:

$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    [+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout
    Opening: /proc/7482/fd/3

then it stops, it doesn't even bring up the $ prompt.

18. icon123

icon123 Well-Known Member

Just to confirm, after the v8 update, I was able to re-root the phone just like before, except it worked the first time. I was also able to use barnacle for wi-fi tethering and it worked very well the first time as well. This was enough of a reason to root the phone.

19. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

i have the exact same problem, have you found a solution? nothing pops up and it echos back everything you type in. you have to hit control-c to get back to the windows prompt.

20. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

Nothing new, I keep trying and trying but so far no good has come of it yet, there's a solution soon

21. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

When you get one, please send me a message!

22. scotttkd

scotttkd Member

trying to unroot, using cdsmith suggestion

I am getting a failure message rm failed for /system/app/Superuser.apk Read only file system

Any idea??

23. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

easiest way is thru cmd or terminal on a pc
    and look back at a thread like how to root to mount the /system as read and write capabilities and you must do this at the # (root prompt) type su if you are at $ and rooted still

24. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

@xamp try my post on downgrading in the v9 thread

25. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

already did, was very successful, just need version 8 update. thanks again