Anyone have a Kindle? (not the app)

Last Updated:

1. 0sync0

0sync0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that Amazon has announced a WiFi only Kindle for $140 I am tempted to get one.

I don't like reading books on the computer or a smart phone screen.

I have seen a Kindle so I don't know if I'll find the E Ink much better.

Anyone here have a Kindle? How do you like it?

Advertisement
  2. darb

darb Well-Known Member

I have one. I like it. E Ink isn't backlit, so it doesn't cause any real eye strain.

My advice would be to hit up a B&N and check out a Nook. The screen is pretty much identical, so it would give you a good idea of what to expect.

3. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

check out target brah. they have the kindle instores.

4. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Well-Known Member

I have a Kindle and I love it I'm on my second one, I had a first generation Kindle before I bought my current 2nd generation model.

It really has changed the way I read, if anything it's helped me to love reading even more. I find I read more quickly with less effort.

I can recommend it without reservation.

5. Rardac

Rardac Active Member

I have a Kindle. Really a great device - altho you do have to keep in mind it was designed as a way for Amazon to sell more books. If you read a lot, or if you sometimes find yourself running out of a book to read (has happened to me several times on my commute), then the Kindle really comes in handy. I spent a lot of time comparing the Kindle to the Nook and the iPad, and I think that if all you want is a device to read on, the Kindle is the way to go. And you can sync to your Android phone in case you can't bring your Kindle along!

6. TambourineMan

TambourineMan Well-Known Member

I have a Kindle Dx. I think I actually prefer Kindle on my phone as the Dx it too big to hold for long periods in bed whereas my EVO is just right. I also like that I can read with the lights out.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

was about to get one, decided to save my money, get a decent android tablet and use the kindle app on it instead.

8. 0sync0

The main drawback I can see to the Kindle is that it does not support the ePub format used by public libraries.

9. CrockettGTO

CrockettGTO Well-Known Member

But the Nook does..I bought one for the wife last month and she loves it.

10. JafoFubar

JafoFubar Member

Here's a great site for e-reader questions/answers.
    MobileRead Forums
    I have a Kobo. I don't have a tablet but from what I've seen of laptops and smartphones, you can't read them very well in direct sunlight so I'm guessing tablets will be the same. I like to sit outside and read. E-readers are great for that.

11. enc0re

enc0re Member

Do any of those exist yet? I'm honestly not aware of any.

12. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

I have a Kindle 2 and I love it!! I have over 400 books on it. I re-read alot of my books.

When concidering buying an eBook reader, keep some things in mine.
    1. Seperate DRM books from non-Drm books.
    2. Look at eBook readers as a tool to read DRM books.
    3. Look at where you buy the majority of your physical books.

For me, before I purchased my Kindle, I purchased 90% to 95% of my books from Amazon. So, it was a given that I would purchase a Kindle to read DRM books. Now I get 98% to 99% of my books from Amazon.

To read non-DRM books, I knew that there were converters that will convert eBooks to differant format, so I went looking.

The best one I found is calibre - E-book management. Basicly what you do is:
    1. Add any non-DRM eBook in any format to the Calibre library.
    2. Connect your eReader to the computer.
    3. Select the books you want to copy to your eReader and click "Add to device".
    It will automaticly convert the select books to the format the eReader can read, save the converted copy, and copy it to the device.

This is just the basic features of Calibre. Calibre have alot more options and features. It supports the Kindle, the Nook, and other eBook readers.

I'm in the process of adding over 2000 non-DRM .lit books to my Calibre library.

Edit: I'm going to get the new Kindle between now and Dec - more space and being able to read for a month between charges!!

13. TambourineMan

TambourineMan Well-Known Member

Now that the cost of all Kindle books is no longer $9.99 or less, I do not think Kindles are a good deal any longer.

14. Amatherly

Amatherly Active Member

They have never been all $9.99 or less.

It was just that New York Times Bestsellers were supposed to be $9.99. Beyond that, the prices were pretty varied. I know I paid more than 10 bucks for a book back on my Kindle 1 not long after I got it. It was still cheaper than a hard copy.

15. 0sync0

I was just looking at their bestselling novels and was surprised to see that some Kindle editions are the same price or even more than the paperbacks.

In the case where it was more Amazon made a point of stating that the publisher set the price.

16. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

I went with a Sony Reader. I'm just not big on the Kindle.

17. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

I have the Kindle for PC and for Android. Bought a bunch of books already. I like it.

I'm kind of wishing I had an actual Kindle but I'm still not sure how the "e-reader" war is going to turn out.

I like the e-ink on the Kobo but it doesn't have the ability to access a dictionary (unless you download one) whereas I think the Kindle allows you to highlight a word and it'll look it up. I don't read all that many books where I've come across a word I don't know but I have just recently in a few books.

I guess my ideal ebook reader would have a dictionary you can link to (think a little popup that gives you *a* definition with a "More..." link if it doesn't seem like the right one), would allow me to download books from the library (ePub format is it?), and allow me to sync to my Android phone (in case I have my phone but not the reader).

18. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I think at one point they almost all were $9.99 because Amazon only allowed publishers to sell at that price. Publishers and authors rebelled and started pulling their books off the Kindle. Amazon now does a program where if you sell your book for $9.99 or less, you get 70% of the sales. If you sell it for more than $9.99, you get like 30% of the sales. So it's now up to the author/publisher, but Amazon is doing it's best to make them pick $9.99 or lower.