• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone have an idea on how to get the MSL code for this phone?

I bought the phone on ebay and the account is not 12 months active so Boost couldn't give me the MSL code.

I tried different things like MSL reader or Get my MSL or alogcat but none seems to be working.

MSL reader seems to need root so I'm trying to get the temp root but still dling.

Get my MSL just gives me "Could not get property ril.MSL".

code doesn't seem to show up in alogcat.

There was this one website that said to do something about logs in recovery mode to unlock something but it wasn't available in this phone.

Galazy Tools Apk just won't install for some weird reasons. Not sure if it helps.

I don't really want to do return items to seller coz I lose a lot on shipping but I can't use the phone since I'm in Canada. Help?

Edit: Oh, this thing is Lollipop 5.1

Last edited:
Here's some data on the TRIBUTE 2:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Tribute-2_id9488

You can request the phone to be added to the database of the site I listed above, then check back in a couple days for exact compatibility.

But, compatability aside, it sounds as if Boost is less than willing to help you unlock.
That may be due to an outstanding balance on the account which the phone was originally purchased.
While Boost is a prepaid carrier, the prices on some phones are tied to a minimum commitment to buy service for a number of months, usually 3 or so.
This obligation may not have been met.

In the future , check here for a free & clear phone.

www.swappa.com/esn

Upvote 0
The eligibility for Boost's MSL code is having an active account for 12 months.
The phone hasn't even been released for a year yet.

This thing works like Sprint's and there were lots of ways to get the MSL without going through them so I tried a couple but no luck so far. Well, most of those topics were pretty old so I guess Sprint made a workaround already.

Just wondering if someone knows a way with this phone.

Upvote 0
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Huh, what the heck, I just noticed

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_tribute_2-7442.php

This site has specs different from what is written in your website...
I thought it had GSM 850...

Then it wont work with Fido no matter what I try... bought the MSL code for nothing.
MSL code worked but I can't change anything in the APN and thought it was weird...
More money wasted ><

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tell me you didn't buy the MSL code from the guy whose post we removed, especially after every warning. :(

Anyway - now he's banned for scamming.

In the future, remember that it's a good idea to read GSM Arena carefully - it lumps multiple models with different names and different capabilities under one category name. As mentioned earlier, your phone was never going to work for your network.

Phone Arena, as posted earlier, is a little clearer on that.

Upvote 0
Yep, I bought it lol. Well, it's only 6$. I knew it might not work and still took the risk, lost the bet though.
The code worked so it's not really scamming I think. Well, he should have known I was trying to use the code for unlocking to use outside of US and it wouldn't work even if I have the code so maybe it's scamming.
I didn't see any warning though.

Oh well, I only looked at that website and thought Boost's would be like that which is why I chose it...
I'll use Phone Arena in the future. I finally get why it doesn't work now, no point in trying further.
At least I know I didn't overlook something. Now I have to make a big deal about it on ebay and try to get the shipping and customs back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones