Anyone have any luck mounting the micro SD card in Ubuntu?Support

Last Updated:

1. benmarvin

benmarvin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

No matter what I try I just can't seem to get it to work. The card mounts fine in a card reader, it's formatted to FAT32, and it reads fine in the G1. But when I plug in the G1 to the USB all it will do is charge, and not mount the card.
    Do I need to install something special? Am I missing something simple? I've been over this a thousand times and can't seem to figure it out. I've searched around here and on the Ubuntu forums and can't seem to find an answer.

Advertisement
  2. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member

I've never had any issues in Ubuntu, I assume you know you have to pull down the menu and mount once you plug in? :)

3. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

Ubuntu auto mounts the SD card when it is plugged in via the USB once you have told the G1 to mount the SD card like devolio mentioned. Then your G1 will be mounted under /media/disk

4. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

I had issues on Vista but never with Ubuntu... would have to agree either you need to select the mount option or you need to check your usb cord...

5. benmarvin

I'm using the USB cable that came with the G1. It connects to USB, the popup shows in the notification area, and I select Mount, but it never shows up on my Desktop. I wouldn't think so, but I need to edit anything in /etc/fstab? It's gotta be something simple I'm overlooking. The card doesn't even show up in "fdisk -l".

6. devolio

Are you trying it on front usb ports or something? You also may want to look into adding the vendorID thing (see here).

5ynic likes this.
  7. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

So the phone is recognizing the connection but not Ubuntu? what version of Ubuntu are you using and do you have any security protocols setup? also are you running USB 2.0? and run ( dmesg ) take a look at it see what it says...

8. Manacit

Manacit Well-Known Member

Make sure you aren't using some USB hub or anything, It didn't work for weeks on my Ubuntu install, I eventually gave up. Then I got a new USB hub (1.1 to 2.0, talk about an upgrade!), and it worked automatically, just like plugging in any other usb drive.

9. benmarvin

Yup, that was it, I was using the front USB port and obviously Ubuntu or the G1 didn't like that. Got it working now. Thanks for the suggestion. I knew it had to be something stupidly simple.

10. devolio

Glad you got it working :) Front USB ports tend to be kind of weird about power.

SilverWave likes this.
  11. SilverWave

SilverWave Member

Yeah this was really helpful - I was actually plugging the mouse in via PS2 to stop the issues I was having.

Plugging in via the front usb's stopped me typing!
    Also other weird behaviour.

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid. 64bit HTC Desire.

12. 5ynic

5ynic New Member

OK, so the answer is, you can often only mount as a disk drive using the REAR USB port. I did not know that.

Thanks Devolio, that was the answer - I'm on a Lenovo Thinkpad, and there's only one rear USB. From now on I'll use the front USB ports for my mains-powered external HDDS. This was the 4th forum I'd trawled thru, and I'm glad I scrolled down as far as your answer!

Google-friendlies:
    Ubuntu Android mount as disc disk USB front port rear port

:D
    5ynic