anyone have international service?Support

Last Updated:

1. evilbeef54

evilbeef54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 1, 2009
    About to be heading to south america for a while, does anyone have international service on their sprint plan? How much extra is it? It is cost per minute as well? What about text and data? Any hidden fees or things I should know about? I'd ask sprint but feel I'll get a much more honest answer here, thanks.

2. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    I looked into this when I thought I was going to Panama in the spring. First, make sure your phone is a "World Phone" or my understanding is it won't work regardless of your plan. That requirement killed it for me right away, since Sprint didn't have a world phone I liked. If your phone will work, take a look at their international rates. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember going "no way!" There was a flat fee and a cost-per-minute charge.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap pay-as-you-go phone in country to use while you're there (if you travel down that way a lot, might be worth investing in a nicer version). Try to get as many people as you can to call you through Skype. This worked great for me in Uganda last summer - I ended up only keeping enough minutes on my phone for emergency outbound calls (inbound were all free). All together $100 for the phone and some minutes, maybe another $30 for minutes over the rest of the 10 weeks I was there.

Of course, if you're not a starving student or your company is paying for it, or you want / need your old number while down south, go with Sprint's plan. :)