• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone have one line of data on a Sprint family plan?

those that say they don't need data on all lines... why not?

Why not? Because my kids barely use email at all, and not on their phones. Because the web is pretty silly on the small displays they have on their phones, and they don't need smartphones. My wife doesn't bother with the web even on her laptop: she has no interest at all in using it on her phone.

My family plan has 1500 minutes: With free sprint to sprint calls, we've never come anywhere close to exceeding that. Sprint is making me pay for service that I really don't need.

Why do you think I don't know my family's needs? What makes you think everyone else's requirements match yours?

Upvote 0
I used to work for Sprint, and I did this all the time. What you do is you activate an individual plan, 69.99 for the any mobile any time everything data, and that's just your line. Then you activate a 4-line everything messaging family plan without data, which would be 119.99 per month (99.99 for the first two phones, 9.99 per line for the other two). Essentially you would have two plans under one account. Voila! It's much simpler than a lot of people think it is, and the phone reps are incapable of thinking outside the box.

EDIT: Thought it would be important to add this. While the above plan works for families with more lines of service, and not so well for those with fewer, you're at the point of equilibrium.

If you do the above, your monthly phone bill will be roughly $190 per month for 5 lines.
Putting your entire family on an everything data family plan would be about $190 per month for 5 lines (129.99 for the first two lines and 19.99 per line after that).

Believe it or not (and I hadn't thought of this before, I apologize), it's the the exact same to go for the family plan. It's also good protection against accidental internet charges. I've seen it happen more than once where a family member put their phone in their pocket and accidentally butt-dialed into the web, and got several hundred dollars in usage fees because they were paying per kilobyte.

Upvote 0
@OP - I understand that you may not want internet on all your phones but you never stated how much your paying now on AT&T. Are you more concerned about who has web or the price? 5 lines on an Everything Data Family plan with an EVO would be $200, before tax and discounts. You have the web if you want or not. You can shut-off third party fees on any/all phones or shut off web all together. You will get 1500 min to share, unlimited calls to any mobile, nights starting at 7, unlimited web and text. Sprint has the best deals around. :)

Upvote 0
I had a 2 line 450 minute family plan with data on only one of the phones. When I upgraded to the EVO, I had to get the (450 min voice) everything data plan for the EVO, but was able to put the other phone on a separate 450 minute, no data, plan for 39.99. The two plans combined are about $30 a month less costly than the cheapest family everything plan. Neither my wife nor I ever come close to using 450 minutes of voice time a month, and she has absolutely no desire for anything data.

That still resulted in my monthly bill going up about $30 a month, but definitely saved me about that much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones