• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone have security issues with Yahoo! Mail app?

Nor*Cal

Mar 22, 2011
Bay Area
I'm using the Yahoo Mail app on my Thunderbolt (in addition to my gmail app). Today, for the first time in over 10 years of having my Yahoo email, my account was hacked and spam was sent to my contacts using my email address. Luckily no virus was attached, it was just some online pharmaceutical website.

I checked the login history and it showed 2 logins using Yahoo Mobile in Mexico.

I've changed my password but am now worried about my Yahoo app and how safe it is. I'm new to android and new to using this app.

Anyone else have any problems with their yahoo mail or heard of any security issues?

I did a bit of google searching but did not come up with much except for this web site that basically claims that just about all of the android email apps are risky.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Reactions: ManofKent
I'm using the Yahoo Mail app on my Thunderbolt (in addition to my gmail app). Today, for the first time in over 10 years of having my Yahoo email, my account was hacked and spam was sent to my contacts using my email address. Luckily no virus was attached, it was just some online pharmaceutical website.

I checked the login history and it showed 2 logins using Yahoo Mobile in Mexico.

I've changed my password but am now worried about my Yahoo app and how safe it is. I'm new to android and new to using this app.

Anyone else have any problems with their yahoo mail or heard of any security issues?

I did a bit of google searching but did not come up with much except for this web site that basically claims that just about all of the android email apps are risky.

Your feedback is appreciated.

I downloaded the Yahoo mail app at the weekend and had my account hacked from Brazil this morning. It may be coincidence, but like you I've been using Yahoo for over 10 yrs and I'm pretty security aware.

I'd be interested to hear whether other people have had similar problems.

Upvote 0
Yes. My yahoo email account was hacked for the first time in the 10+ years I've had it and I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, this was the first ever hack, and after a friend tipped me off, I found that the users accessed yahoo mobile from the netherlands, changing my password within minutes just after I had checked my email for the first time from yahoo mobile. I uninstalled it, reported it, etc... that occurred on June 16th 2011.

Reactions: ManofKent
Upvote 0
Sorry for bringing back and old thread but the same exact thing happened to my girlfriend a day after I added it to her Android tablet. I am investigating rogue apps but I don't know.

!# UPDATE

No correlation it has not happened since and she added the app back. It's funny because you always think "there's no way it's a coincidence," but it ultimately is just that.

Upvote 0
At almost the exact time I used Yahoo for Android, my account was hacked.

I can only assume it was one of 3 things.

1) I had wifi on, and was not home. Perhaps it used an untrusted wifi where I was checking my email and the user/pw was sniffed in clear (if so bad on yahoo app for not encrypting!)

2) I had a spoof app. I downloaded a long time ago and use very infrequently.

3) Had malware. (I just installed Avast for android, did not report anything.

There is one thing I really don't understand. The hacker sent spam from my account to my contacts. I know it is from my email because it is in my sent folder. However, when I go to the log, I see only my computer at home logging in when the spam was sent.

How can this be? I logged in via android, no yahoo log entry for that. The hacker clearly logged on, but no log of that either,

Does yahoo mail only log web users? Not android app login??

Changed password and added a double check on login on new computer,

Larry

Upvote 0
I think my password was not compromised. Since I was on an untrusted network (had wifi on while out) I think my email session was hijacked. Yahoo email does not use https, it uses cookies...

Why do I think this?
1) The spam was sent from my account (in sent folder)
2) No unusual login activity in my sign-in log on yahoo.

So, to do this the hacker must have gotten my cookies... Sooooo, don't have wifi on when you go out using Yahoo (gmail uses https, it is safe I think).

Upvote 0
Recently i downloaded yahoo android application and have been using since 2 weeks. two days before my id was hacked and some spam mail has been sent to my contacts. I checked the sign in history, it is showing that it was signed in from mumbai and spain and the IP addresses are
Mumbai - 114.143.161.162
Spain - 79.148.65.196

Really i fed up with security of yahoo service and their android application.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones