Anyone have the Hero running OK on O2??

Last Updated:

1. Renniks

Renniks Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys anyone have this device running on O2 UK?? And if so is all the features performing as they should??

Also.....................

I went in to a store in my local town centre yesterday, they had the Hero for sale. The Fone was available "Sim Free" so I asked could I try my O2 Sim in it, they obliged, and it was locked to Orange!! So my Sim obviously did not work in it. Why state it's Sim Free? If it obviously aint? Or does this just mean ya can buy it outright and put your own Orange Sim in it? Or am I missing summit here??????

Thanks for any help/advice in advance!!

Cheers

Renniks :):)

Advertisement
  2. ajthomason

ajthomason Member

Yup, I have a graphite one (locked to Orange) that I've put a rebelsim in and have been using it on O2 for the past 2 days... not long enough to test reliability but it seems to be great.

Phone / SMS / MMS / Voicemail / 3G all tested and working!

I'm on an iPhone contract if that helps (sold it to buy a Hero).

And no, 'sim free' can be used to mean just without a sim but still locked to a network (e.g., no contract), they usually say 'unlocked' for completely unlocked ones.

3. rmgx

rmgx New Member

I have been using HTC Hero on O2 for more than a month, with no problems. (Bought it from e2save on Vodafone - the phone was unlocked!!)

4. Wins

Wins Member

I'm having a good time with my HTC hero with o2. Although my internet isn't as fast as 3G/E/H but that could just be me. The bolt on's and such are very useful and the phone is fantastic.

5. clockwork

clockwork Well-Known Member

went from blackberry BOLD to HTC hero, bought it locked to t-mobile, then unlocked it, had to change the bolt-on as there are different settings for BB internet and the hero, but apart from that it all works fine, had no problems at all... the problem was that initially it was fixed on t-mobile internet settings, needed to do a hard reset, insert O2 sim and it automatically found new settings

6. Madhouse

Madhouse Member

Ive got the tmobile hero, and had it unlocked, am using my o2 sim in it, works realy well, no probs, even better now ive done the modaco root
    regards
    MadHouse

7. Renniks

Hi Mate, you on O2 Pay Monthly?? If so where did you obtain the settings for internet ETC:confused:

Thanks to everyone else for their replys guys:)

8. Madhouse

Madhouse Member

Yes i also would like to no this, i thought there was a setting somwere, on the phone, that allowed you to get the settings from o2, but i cant seem to find it
    regards
    MadHouse

9. EnragedYogi

EnragedYogi Member

1st post here so hope it helps! I bought my Hero SIM free from Play.com.

If you bring up the programs/apps menu, there's something called SIM toolkit. I used this and it seemed to send me everything I needed from O2 after I set up the web bolt on. MMS, browsing etc are all fine, I didn't have to enter anything manually.

Let me know if this works for you too.

10. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

I used SIM toolkit and got a message from O2 saying there was some problem and I have to call customer services.
    My Hero works pretty well, but the Activesync with Exchange doesn't work very well. It syncs randomly. Also the MMS pictures are terrible...

11. Renniks

Thanks EnragedYogi!!

So that sounds to me as if your HTC Hero is running great on O2!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you and thanks very much for the advice!!

That puts me at ease..............

What I can't work out is that some other users on O2 are having problems................

So is everything fine, MMS, Email, SMS, Browsing, It's a brilliant handset aint it, I don't have one yet, but I can tell ya I went into a phone shop for a test drive and I can tell ya I was more than impressed. Phenomenal............
    :):):):)

12. corsaro57

corsaro57 New Member

Running on o2 since launched in the UK - got a white unlocked phone from play.com.

All worked ok but would not run on 3G until I manually put the settings in (do a search for o2 APN settings - I remember the password being different for 3G connection - 'vertigo' instead of 'password').

Not the best coverage but ok when you can get the high speed link - the web bolt on data bundle works out cheap enough with o2.

Rich

13. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

I posted the poor MMS problem on several boards and apparently there is some hack for the phone to get the MMS to work properly on O2 but I am too scared to try it...

Does anyone else have problems with ActiveSync?

14. clockwork

clockwork Well-Known Member

if you want detailed settings, then im not your guy, all i did was root phone, install MoDaCo ROM insert O2 sim and it did all the rest on its own, i believe that this is done by the sim card settings itself up on first boot, on the other hand when i had inserted my O2 sim with the original ROM that had been used by a t-mobile sim previously, the settings did not work, nor did the sim reset all the settings, it took a hard reset and a first boot up with the O2 sim to get the browser and other internet applications to work...

15. Renniks

Thanks ClockWork, :)

Could you explain what "ROOT" Means to the HTC Hero??

Thanks

Renniks
    :)