• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone having issues with the stock Music Player?

Rhiannon224

Aug 2, 2010
Florida, US
I am having issues with the music player, the music was crackling badly, I thought it was the headphones so I tried 3 different pairs and the same thing happenned, it kept stuttering in the middle of songs. I am not at all happy about that. My mp3 player worked perfectly with the same music files, they are WMP files not mp3 because to me mp3 sounds compressed to shit. I Sad to because the sound quality blows away any mp3 playern when it isn't stalling and breaking up. I am considering flashing with Odin today and swapping it for number 3. I have not spilled anything on my phone or dropped it, I am so careful with it and I am curious if anyone else has this problem or does mine have a defect. I love this phone and really want to stick with it. I would like to use it for music because the sound when working is amazing. If it is a defect in my phone I will swap for another.

Something I've noticed when playing music in the car is that if I go over bumps or rough roads, the music starts skipping. If I hold the phone, it rarely skips. I think the phone must be processing info from the motion sensor. But of course, even when it's not moving, it skips once in a while. Just not as much.

Upvote 0
I personally don't have any issue with my phone's music player, but I can assure you there are no moving parts inside the Captivate. It doesn't have a hard drive, which is the reason skipping occurs on ipods when driving on rough roads and such.

That being said, have you guys tried a different music player app? I would highly reccomend the MixZing app, and DoubleTwist is good as well. Try those out and see if you have the same issue. Then you can narrow down to what the problem is caused by.

Upvote 0
Well vI am on Captivate number 3. When I called AT&T about the music player fluttering and stalling they told me to return the phone for a new one so I did. The build date is Aug 5 and so far the music player has no issues. Bonus on the way back from the AT&T store I tried GPS and it immediately had my location and was tracking me while I was driving to the mall. I love this phone and am I tired of swapping phones and replacing the clear protective skins. Altjough I flash with Odin like a champ, now, I've done it so many times. Let's see if GPS continues to function, I don't really use it much because Google Maps suck, I know my area very well and it gives awful directions and it constantly shows something as being on the west side of the street when it is on the east side. That's not a Samsung problem though.

Upvote 0
Found a viable workaround for me is disabling the wifi interface while driving. I have not rooted my phone.

Before while driving and listening to music/podcasts through bluetooth; I would get the skips, lag, etc in all tried programs whether the audio was stored on a SD card, stored on the phone memory, or streamed. The last update by AT&T seemed to even make it worse.

Stumbled upon that when I turn wifi off, audio playback through bluetooth is problem free. Turn the wifi back on while driving even though it's not connected; the skips, etc return fairly quickly. All audio programs playback properly using this workaround for me now & I only have to occasionally deal with the buffer problem if I'm streaming in a weak 3G signal area; which isn't the phone's fault. Hopefully this helps someone else as a temporary solution.

Reactions: Rhiannon224
Upvote 0
Stumbled upon that when I turn wifi off, audio playback through bluetooth is problem free. Turn the wifi back on while driving even though it's not connected; the skips, etc return fairly quickly.
How ironic, I accidentally discovered this too. I get the same results you do. In fact I didn't even discover the problem for weeks after I first got the phone, as I use an iPod for my music.

But one day I thought I'd try the player on my Captivate , so I loaded some music and the problem was quite apparent, then the next time I tried it I had the wifi off and was surprised at how good the performance was.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones