Anyone having trouble getting used to the physical buttons?Support

Last Updated:

1. kenn

kenn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do you guys like the physical buttons vs. the soft buttons (glass) on other phones? I've got an Incredible that I really like, but I'm having two issues that I'm not liking. Call quality and battery life... I looked at the Droid X and really didn't like the physical buttons.

I'm curious -- how many of you were disappointed by the physical buttons but have found them to be OK after using them?

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I would fall into that group!

3. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

4. xander66

xander66 Well-Known Member

I wasn't disappointed at all and I still like them. Sure they have a little wiggle room but what doesn't? All in all its more satisfying to me to have "real buttons"

5. evo678

evo678 Well-Known Member

I think it takes a little bit more effort to click when operating it with just one hand. And the "wiggle" factor does make me wonder if they will hold up, although I think this is more of a perception thing than an actual durability issue.

One nice thing about it is being able to wake the phone up by pressing the home key.

6. 5murphy7

5murphy7 Member

I love the physical keys. Better response than the touch on those other phones. I have a silcone cover and didn't even notice the wiggle until it was mentioned here. I think all touch is to much.

7. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Not I, but than again, I'm coming from a Storm 1

8. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

I'm coming from an iPhone and I honestly like the physical buttons

9. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

I like the physical buttons so I don't accidentally press them. Yes it takes some getting used to but thats how all new things are.

10. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

I like the buttons..

11. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

they're ok but I would have liked them to be "softer" to press. As they are how if you have the phone in a dock it can move the dock with all the force you need to press it so you have to kind of grab it from behind to reinforce it as you press . Not a big deal but easier to press would have been better for me.

12. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

Either is fine. For me as long as the buttons aren't crappy, I couldn't care less. No issue with the Droid X buttons.

13. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I guess they are alright. I came from the HTC Eris. It's capacitive buttons were a pain. You had to press toward the top of the icon, not directly on the icon. And even when you hit the sweet spot, occationally there was no responce. I tried the HTC Incredible in stores and thought the capacitive buttons were a dream compaired the the Eris.

All that being said, I bought the Droid X unseen. Knowing I wouldn't have the problems I had with the Eris but wouldn't have the experience the Inc owners have.

The Droid X buttons do take some pressure to activate. Nothing extream, but the fact that they are so thin, the tip of my index finger hurts slightly when I use the keys repeatedly over a period of time. I'm a big guy, so I have big fingers. That may be the reason for the irritation.

The irritation goes away quickly after a phone browsing session. And I haven't and don't expect to develope a callus on the tip of my index finger. Above all, take this from my post. Even with this slight irritation, I love my Droid X. Without a doubt it's the best phone I've ever owned.

14. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I like the buttons. I would accidentally press the capacitive buttons on the droid when I was holding it, so it's nice not worrying about it anymore.

15. kwaping

kwaping Well-Known Member

+1, except substitute EVO for droid. Returned my EVO after 24 hours, but am totally happy with my DX.

It's just personal preference, like many other things.

16. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

I was at first, but I learned on a MD and DI how to use the soft buttons.

I actually like the hard buttons now! I like them A LOT!!

17. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

I like them. No issues at all.

18. butthead007

butthead007 Well-Known Member

They're fine.

19. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

I like the buttons on the DINC way better. I rarely pressed them accidently. The DX are too small and too hard to press, especially one-handed. And while we are talking about buttons, the volume rocker sucks. :( One the plus side, the battery and call quality should be better than your DINC.

20. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

Not at all. The physical buttons are just as cool as the capacitive.

21. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

You need two hands to press a DX button? :D:D

They aren't that hard to press. Actually there's only 2 buttons. Each side is more like a "rocker and press" type setup.

The buttons are very high quality for buttons, and the fit and finish is exceptional. I can use 1 hand all day long on this phone, and I still never get tired. I don't use performance enhancing products either. This phone is truly amazing!

22. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Only button I'm not thrilled with is the camera shutter button.. it has more wiggle room, and seems "flakier" then the others, which feel rock solid.

23. TheGr81

TheGr81 Well-Known Member

I much prefer having physical buttons over the capacitive ones. I just wish they were slightly taller up and down. I would always hit the cpactive buttons on my Droid by mistake.

24. jweber

jweber Active Member

I like the Physical buttons, but would perfer they be programable. I would like the ability to make phones calls with gloves on when it's winter time. I to bring up voice dial/and answer/end calls.

25. myth90045

myth90045 Well-Known Member

I like the buttons. They wiggle, but at least they wont get caught on something and rip off like the Storm 2 buttons. All in all I am happy with my X!!