• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone heard of LePan TC 970?

Hi, I am a newbie in the tablets world. I've only had a Nextbook 7 for a week and returned back (I found 7' screen very small and the zoom was not enough when reading PDF files, only 200% zoom)

Right now, and only for today, I can get the Le Pan TC 970 for CDN$ 169.00. (free shipping)

I need the table mainly for reading PDF files, some audio books playing and video playing, gmail and that's it. But i need good zoom for the PDF reading (i don't want to kill my eyes...) and I also need to reproduce RMVB video files.

Will I be able to get all these with the Le Pan TC 970? Do you think it is a good deal for the money?

I would really appreciate any answers ASAP, the offer won't be available for a long time.

Thank you all

Reactions: jchurch2727
Upvote 0
Hello, hope I do this right. I have the le pan, I am having trouble with the touch screen. It doesn't seem to do what I need, but what it wants. On facebook, trying to scroll down, it gets bigger and smaller. Doesn't register that I touch something to select it etc. Is this possibly a faulty unit or is there a way to calibrate the screen? thanks

Upvote 0
I have ordered the Le Pan TC 970 Yesterday off amazon, now I'm just waiting on it...
But I have a few questions. I go on sites to stream tv, and movies. Now I know that on my Iphone when I try to do this it comes up being mobile, and wont work...
Now does this happen with the tablet or is it like streaming from my pc? I'm hoping it will not stream mobile for a tablet but I have never had one so Idk...Any help would be awesome thanks :)

Upvote 0
Hello, hope I do this right. I have the le pan, I am having trouble with the touch screen. It doesn't seem to do what I need, but what it wants. On facebook, trying to scroll down, it gets bigger and smaller. Doesn't register that I touch something to select it etc. Is this possibly a faulty unit or is there a way to calibrate the screen? thanks

You will probably need to reset it. That happens to me as well.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd add this since a couple people referenced the Le Pan II earlier in this post. Juist emailed Le Pan tech support about the release of the Le Pan II and got this very quick response:

Case Subject: When
Update Date: 12/29/2011 10:10:16 AM
Comments from LePan Support:

Dear Pat,

The Le Pan II will ship in January of the new year.

Thank you.

I was fairly intent on buying a 970, but now plan to wait on the II.

Upvote 0
Update,.... this tablet is nice,...but wifi connectivity was poor and too unreliable for my liking,..even though its cheap,..I still want it to do the things that I need it to do. Prices will continue to drop on tablets,...I suspect soon there will be many different products under $300. So,..I sent mine back,...will revisit the tablet market after christmas.

Just picked up an ASUS Eee Transformer 32g, Honeycomb,.. for $350,... blows the Lepan away,..no regrets here.

Upvote 0
I'm also interested in the Le Pan, but I'm worried about support. Their website seems rather lacking, and their forum has one member and the administrator. Have any of you had a good experience with support? I'm not sure why they don't have the mentioned update posted on their web site. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You are absolutely right about the lack of support for Le Pan. I got one 10 days ago, and I"m ready to return it to Amazon. It has some very annoying quirks, but mostly I am upset because for a few days it would connect to the internet, so I could check e-mail and surf. I didn't change a single setting, then one day, I am no longer able to connect. I've checked the "settings" and they are right, and it says "you are connected" but it will not download any website or e-mail -- it gets 75% done, then freezes and no matter now long I leave it, it will not load.

Their "built in" PDF manual is absolutely useless. Obviously written by Chinese who don't speak English, it continually refers to "your telephone..." yet there is no telephone feature at all. Not once do they call it a tablet. So you can see how useless the manual is -- even if I ignore the fact that they don't know what it is, the information is useless.

It says if there is a problem connecting to the internet, contact my server. Yea, right, blame someone else. well, I did call the server anyhow, and of course, they do not deal with tablets -- they say to contact the tech support of the tablet. Therein lies the problem. THERE IS NO TECH SUPPORT !

So, while it is a "pretty" tablet with very nice bright images, if it doesn't work, what good is it? Another app that comes with it is "How to use your Tablet"

I get to page 2, then, as I did in page 1, hit "NEXT" only the 2nd time you hit "NEXT" it jumps you back to the home page. Nice.

Well, I guess this is why the tablet is cheaper. They don't have to pay anyone to offer support for it when it doesn't work as it should.

Potentially a good product, but they released it without working out the quirks and problems, and not having tech support for any electronic device is inexcusable.

Will likely be taking it back if I can't figure out the connectivity problems.

Upvote 0
Question regarding WIFI connection issues with Le Pan. Ive read about the issues with Le Pan having troubles re connecting to Home WIFI after connecting to another WIFI. My problem is I cant get my new LE PAN to connect to my HOME WIFI at all! It sees it, recognizes it, allowed me to select and enter WEP password, but it wil not connect.

Under WIFI it says " obtaining IP address from WIFI NAME" then "scanning" then "connecting" then "disconnected." this cycles over and over

Under WIFI NAME it says "obtaining IP address" then "remembered, secured with WEP" and that cycles over and over

Ive contact Le Pan online support and have heard nada. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Worked for the first few days, now for the last week, I have not been able to connect at all. Did NOT change any settings. Le Pan online support does not respond. IS anyone home ????? I even tried resetting to factory settings, erased everything I had on it, but it still will not connect.

Upvote 0
Was looking for a tablet for my mother to use for email and web surfing. Needed to be bigger than 7 inch so she could see. Wanted to keep price under $200. Found Le Pan while searching and bought from Walmart. Shipped to my door for under $200. Have had it one week and been busy setting it up for her to take home when she leaves after new years. So far no problems. WiFi connected (802.11n) with no problems. E-mail set up was easy and works great. Sounds like you are stuck with Froyo 2.2 so super techies may not be happy but for low to mid range users, it's great. I upgraded to a 16 GB sd card for some additional storage. Tango works for video chat .. Still trying to get Skype to work for video ... Lots of discussion on that subject but I have not been able to get Skype to recognize the camera. Physically it looks and feels nice... Little heavier that iPad but nice solid feel and finish. Performance good on all applications I have tried. Sound not bad .. Not as good audio as Hp Touchpad but I think as good as iPad. Screen nice and touchscreen responsive. Connector is same as iPad for charger/USB connection but in different physical location so iPad accessories don't fit :-(
IMHO for the price, it's a great deal. Not for the super techie who wants the latest and greatest OS, super performance, etc. but for 90 % of what most people want to do on a tablet, it works great and you have all the Android apps available.

Update on Skype .. Latest version of Skype works .. Video on Le Pan flickers for about 5 seeconds as start then settles down. This is not seen by the other caller.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd add this since a couple people referenced the Le Pan II earlier in this post. Juist emailed Le Pan tech support about the release of the Le Pan II and got this very quick response:

Case Subject: When
Update Date: 12/29/2011 10:10:16 AM
Comments from LePan Support:

Dear Pat,

The Le Pan II will ship in January of the new year.

Thank you.

I was fairly intent on buying a 970, but now plan to wait on the II.

a heads-up to those interested in the Le Pan II, Amazon is taking orders, currently @ $262, saying will ship when available. Based on reviews of the TC 970 and the updated specs of the Le Pan II, I went ahead and did something I very rarely do with this type of device, which is order without any reviews available yet. I'll update when I receive the Le Pan II.

full spec list of the Le Pan II can be seen at lepantab.com

to me it looks pretty impressive for the price. (yeah my first post here, have been lurking for a while)

Upvote 0
Hi, I am a newbie in the tablets world. I've only had a Nextbook 7 for a week and returned back (I found 7' screen very small and the zoom was not enough when reading PDF files, only 200% zoom)

Right now, and only for today, I can get the Le Pan TC 970 for CDN$ 169.00. (free shipping)

I need the table mainly for reading PDF files, some audio books playing and video playing, gmail and that's it. But i need good zoom for the PDF reading (i don't want to kill my eyes...) and I also need to reproduce RMVB video files.

Will I be able to get all these with the Le Pan TC 970? Do you think it is a good deal for the money?

I would really appreciate any answers ASAP, the offer won't be available for a long time.

Thank you all

I just received my le pan and it works great for all of what you need it to do, I am not sure of the RMVB but I know it runs videos great.

Upvote 0
I have ordered the Le Pan TC 970 Yesterday off amazon, now I'm just waiting on it...
But I have a few questions. I go on sites to stream tv, and movies. Now I know that on my Iphone when I try to do this it comes up being mobile, and wont work...
Now does this happen with the tablet or is it like streaming from my pc? I'm hoping it will not stream mobile for a tablet but I have never had one so Idk...Any help would be awesome thanks :)

You'll be able to stream video from most sites.

Upvote 0
I too am thinking about the le pan, is it just as good as the iPad ? Or better ? Or worse ? Thanks.

Android tablets and phones can view FLASH content on websites. The ipad and iphone cannot.
Most websites have some FLASH content. I develop websites and I cannot imagine not using FLASH. Even if it is just for link buttons. I had to make a NON-FLASH PAGE for the Apple folks so they could visit other pages within a site. You will LOVE this tablet. I can't put mine down. It's fast and can access many great apps. Have a great day. I got mine at Newegg for just $199.

Upvote 0
Was looking for a tablet for my mother to use for email and web surfing. Needed to be bigger than 7 inch so she could see. Wanted to keep price under $200. Found Le Pan while searching and bought from Walmart. Shipped to my door for under $200. Have had it one week and been busy setting it up for her to take home when she leaves after new years. So far no problems. WiFi connected (802.11n) with no problems. E-mail set up was easy and works great. Sounds like you are stuck with Froyo 2.2 so super techies may not be happy but for low to mid range users, it's great. I upgraded to a 16 GB sd card for some additional storage. Tango works for video chat .. Still trying to get Skype to work for video ... Lots of discussion on that subject but I have not been able to get Skype to recognize the camera. Physically it looks and feels nice... Little heavier that iPad but nice solid feel and finish. Performance good on all applications I have tried. Sound not bad .. Not as good audio as Hp Touchpad but I think as good as iPad. Screen nice and touchscreen responsive. Connector is same as iPad for charger/USB connection but in different physical location so iPad accessories don't fit :-(
IMHO for the price, it's a great deal. Not for the super techie who wants the latest and greatest OS, super performance, etc. but for 90 % of what most people want to do on a tablet, it works great and you have all the Android apps available.

Update on Skype .. Latest version of Skype works .. Video on Le Pan flickers for about 5 seeconds as start then settles down. This is not seen by the other caller.

Just installed Skype, it immediately said "device not supported", but worked regardless. Connected with mate in Australia, and video was a bit choppy, but did work! Audio works better if you use headset/microphone instead of built in mic.

Upvote 0
Can't find proper thread for my comments:

SPEAKERS: should be on sides rather than back, as a case will block the speakers;
MICROPHONE: should be on top side rather than front, as the edge of many cases will block the microphone
FREEZING: I think it freezes more if battery level is low, and if it sleeps automatically. If you can't turn back on, press the power and reset buttons AT THE SAME TIME
SCREEN PROTECTOR: I see Posrus advertised as being designed for Le Pan. Too bad amazon.com doesn't deliver to Canada
CASE: Most people recommend HP tablet case from Targus, although it is criticized as being bulky.

Upvote 0
Now that I have finally decided to purchase a LePan there is a statement that they are probably planning on a new tablet in 2012. Where did you see this or hear this? I would be interested in finding some information concerning the "new" tab. I have been convinced on the build quality of LePan and their service from several sales sites, and this thread. Not so much with other tabs---especially at this price point.

thanks much,
tim

If this hasn't been answered yet. Amazon is carrying the new La Pan TC 970-2
See link, http://www.amazon.com/Pan-II-9-7-Inch-Tablet-Black/dp/B0067XX3AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326210800&sr=8-1
Currently priced at 299.00, slightly upgraded hardware and running Android 3.2.
Product Description

Amazon.com Product Description

Equipped with Android 3.2, the latest Android operating system on the market you can now experience games, movies and more in the way you were meant to experience them with screen scaling compatibility mode. You now have access to thousands more apps from the Android Market, a
Multitasking

Multitasking has never been easier, for people who actually multitask. Armed with a dual-core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, keep up and get your apps in gear. Share pictures, download apps, video chat with friends and family, all while texting. Revolutionize the way you work, live and play.
Storage and Portability

The Le Pan II measures 9.29 inches wide by 7.44 inches high by 0.48 inches deep. At 1.5 pounds it is the lightest performance Le Pan tablet to date. With 8 GB of built-in memory and up to an additional 32 GB of expandability, the Le Pan II has more than enough room for movies, games, apps, websites, email, texts, and just about anything else you would expect from one of the best Android tablets on the market.
Entertainment

Optimized for entertainment, the Le Pan II is up for anything you throw at it. As a personal mobile theater it goes wherever you go. The combination of the Qualcomm 1.2 GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor, 9.7-inch multi-touch screen, HD playback, gyro meter control and a simply stunning brush aluminum finish promises for an entertainment experience like no other.
B0067XX3AI-sleek_body.jpg

HD Display

The high-resolution, 9.7-inch LCD-backlit IPS display delivers crisp and vivid, allowing you to enjoy movies and videos to their fullest. Videos, games and the web never looked better on Le Pan II. The large, gorgeous 9.7-inch display is sharp and stunning. Colors are exceptionally vivid for incredible movie watching on-the-go, and the screen boasts a whiter-than-usual background that truly excels when it comes to readability--for on-screen text that's crisper, clearer and easier to see. Plus, for mobile use, the 4:3 aspect ratio combined with the 1024x768 resolution delivers an incredible handheld web-surfing experience.
Gaming

Experience heart-pounding strategy, shooting, sports, and role-playing games--at the tip of your fingers. Go beyond console gaming and take full control of your gaming experience.
Connectivity

Designed for modern living, working and playing, Le Pan II comes with all the connectivity essentials built-in and is easier to use. Connect with friends and family, and enjoy crisp, clear video calling with the high-resolution front-facing camera and microphone. Catch up on work and play with full, fast web browsing powered by a dual-core processor. And with up to 32 GB of storage, plus integrated Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and even GPS, it's ready for almost anything and everything--no matter where life takes you. Simply touch, tap, swipe, pinch and flick to navigate around the ultra-responsive multi-touch screen.
B0067XX3AI-multi_touch.jpg

Quality Built / Eco-Friendly

"Quality built--feels solid." That's no understatement. Le Pan II is wrapped almost entirely in a tough, brushed aluminum finish with an edge-to-edge glass surface that gives the device a solid overall feel. Manufactured with high-quality materials that are less plastic, less metal and more aluminum, the Le Pan II is designed not only to be more durable than other Android tablets that are on the market today, but it's also more eco-friendly and green.
Upgradability

With Android 3.2 Honeycomb (upgradable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich) OS, with Adobe Flash support and over 500,000 downloadable applications on the Android Market, entertainment is just a finger swipe away.

• Tablet with 9.7-inch capacitive display; supports 720P HD video
  • Android 3.2 platform, and ultra-fast Wi-Fi connectivity