Anyone here planning on buying a HTC Magic?General

Last Updated:

1. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just a curious question really....

Do you plan on buying the HTC Magic?

I, for one, will not be buying it.

I prefer physical keyboards over virtual keyboards so I'll be sticking with the G1...

And besides....I've still got a long way to go in my contract before I can even think of looking for an upgrade... -_-

So what about you guys?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Not me ... maybe buy a good used G1 for messing around with rooting ..etc...

3. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

Not me. Like you, I require a physical keyboard.

If the HTC Memphis is going to be an Android device, and if it has a 5 row keyboard (instead of the 4 row that the concept pictures show), then I might get that. Especially if it has better battery life, and the Rhodium's tilt screen.

But right now, that's the only Android phone that looks at all compelling, to me, besides the G1.

4. johnkzin

While UMA would be nice, I'd rather have the keyboard :)

Though, supposedly, UMA is coming to Android soon.

5. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

It's one of the phone's I'm considering. Given that the G1/Android was unfinished, I'm going to hold out until the reviews and enough people here have something to say about it. That and I can't buy a phone until July-August anyways.

There are a few things that I want to see on the Magic
    -the keyboard works well
    -battery life is improved
    -Android 1.5 is a massive improvement

But I am excited about it. It's much more stylish and not a fat brick. I could care less about the keyboard- I can work with either one. The monthly fees are far cheaper than an iPhone and that is a big plus over the iPhone. I suspect that this will get a lot of "I like the iPhone but can't afford a $100/month bill" business.

I also hope that it will be cheap- it really shouldn't cost more than the $180 that the G1 is going for- no I'm not being greedy- lots of the G1 internals in the Magic. Do this and Android could really grab some market share.

6. johnkzin

In what way do you consider the G1 to be unfinished?

7. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not planning on getting the Magic right now.

8. RozzaC

Well it's been pushed back again...

It's being released on 5 May now...

More time to decide I guess =P

9. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

I have more of an issue with the software than the hardware regarding the G1/Android release.

Hardware- it's too big and has no style. But I'm sure I am the minority with this opinion here. And battery life is an issue, but I don't know if that's because the battery is too small or if it's a software issue. Regardless, this is something that should have been addressed before it was released.

Software- it wasn't polished and there were lots of bugs. As much as Android 1.5 is about new features, it's also about bug fixes. As an example, daily resets are not my idea of a finished product or a solution to a problem.

I'm looking at Android as a consumer who will want the phone to look cool and for things to work out of the box, not a developer or a user who will want to root, install a Haykuro ROM, or install an early version of cupcake.

10. johnkzin

I can agree with the software not being fully ready ... but that seems to be the norm these days. I can't remember the last time someone released something like an OS that was ready for prime time on release 1.0.

I don't mind the style... sure, the Rhodium is more stylish and sexy, which I appreciate ... but I don't need a stylish/sexy phone. I need a functional phone. I choose function over fashion any day :-}

As for size, I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I'd like it to have a 4.1" screen, like the Nokia N810.

11. RozzaC

I think all-around the G1's a good phone to be honest...

I have no qualms with it's design at all....I've even got used to the battery life on this phone.

I'll admit the OS needs some fine tuning...but that's not gonna affect me at all...as long it doesn't affect what I want to do with the phone....and if it does...then that's just too bad for me...

12. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

13. crazy88

crazy88 Well-Known Member

I'm seriously considering the HTC Magic. Two issues though...I am not really fond of Vodafone (but that is mainly due to their obsessive customisation of phones which i'm assuming won't happen with the Magic), and the battery life. I am done with devices which need charging all the time. :)

I am just out of contract, so waiting for a few reviews before I take the plunge.

14. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Well, the Magic looks thiner than the G1 which probably means battery power no more and maybe less than the G1..

15. johnkzin

You can thank Microsoft, with their "no product is useful until the fourth iteration" strategy, for that.

16. RozzaC

It's not that bad an approach if you ask me...

As long as they are willing to rectify any submitted bugs and errors withing a suitable timeframe and reimburse people whose purchases are rendered ineffective due to a bug or glitch...

17. johnkzin

It's not bad in theory. And with those caveats. And as long as those are actual patches and not "upgrade every week" because they've got a release schedule for version numbers that makes the attention span of someone with ADD seem impressively long-sighted (as with most open source projects, who seem to have the "release early, release often, even if you don't need to, and no matter what it breaks/disrupts" mindset).

But ... I doubt anyone can come up with perfect examples of it in practice, and some of the examples are absolutely horrendous.

18. crazy88

According to the stats, the Magic battery is 1340mAh compared to the 1150 of the Dream, so hopefully it will be better. Plus, cupcake might solve some battery drain issues (which I know will also help the dream).

I am so lost as to what to do about the phone, haha! I was thinking a bit ago about getting a blackberry bold. I really want 3G for mobile internet speeds, but other than that i'm quite open.

I really can't wait for some user reviews of the magic. If its not up to much, I think i'll end up with a G1 from eBay and then get a PAYG sim for it.

19. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

i've been a fan of android for a while now but still stuck with a helio contract. i wouldn't spend me money on a DREAM or MAGIC. a phone that can't record video or even has a flash for the camera seems half-baked to me. ESPECIALLY by todays standards. I can't wait to have ANDROID but I wants it on a decent device. I'll wait to see what SAMSUNG brings to the table. Or as long as it takes for some device that can at least do what my OCEAN has been able to do for the last year 1/2. You're just now able to upload video/pics to youtube/myspace with your phone? Really? C'mon Guys... Me service sucks but we've had these features for SO long now.

20. RozzaC

The HTC Magic can record videos....

My new Sony Ericsson W890i doesn't have a flash on it either...

Phones without flash are common as far as I know...o_O ....

I don't remember camera flash becoming the norm on phones....

Unless you were to get something from the Sony Ericsson C-series or some other high-end phone....

21. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

The larger battery and the missing keyboard (w/ battery draining backlight) will also help.

22. crazy88

As mentioned...which camera phones actually have a flash? Many have an 'LED Flash' but how bright are they? They're poo for anything decent in the dark, therefore pretty much useless. There are very few camera phones out there with a proper xenon flash, but for me...i'll stick with my camera for pictures like that. And as also mentioned, the Magic does indeed do video recording.

And why wait for the Samsung? I personally have been so underwhelmed by Samsung devices. For me, the Magic is definately a step in the right direction for Android devices. And i'm sure there are many features which the magic can perform over your current device?!?!

23. RozzaC

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Samsung phones either to be honest...

Seems like all they do is look fancy...

24. crazy88

Yeah, same issues as me. I find LG the same. I recently was testing the LG arena (the new flagship device) and was equally underwhelmed as with Samsung devices. The iPhone and the Android phones are the only devices which excite me at all really and seem to be going somewhere new.

25. RozzaC

Sony Ericsson phones are good....

Yeah LG...are mainly just for show as well...but I'd probably rather have one of them over a Samsung phone I think...

---EDIT---

Is it me or did we go totally off topic? Lol..