• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone here planning on buying a HTC Magic?

I have had the magic for 5 days now and i must say WOW! is the android impressive, I don't know if i have fallen in love with the Android, the Magic or both. This is the future!!

I haven't used the G1 properly, but having played around with it, i was put of with its bulky size, and the moving parts... but with the Magic it is truly a beautiful piece or engineering. very beautiful, slim, very light, the screen is crisp and bright (even at 40%) and the touch screen is effortless.

#It does have limitations, i need to be honest... the touch screen keyboard is slow to type, this is my first touch screen phone with a full screen keyboard and my fingers do need some practice i guess. other then that i dont see any problems with the keyboard at all, when rotated to landscape the keyboard is larger and makes it that much easier.

The phone is truly beautiful and fits well in ur hand, solid and firm but light, can really feel that this is a quality device. apart from that WOW is the battery life horrible, I have always had phones that lasted 3 or even 4 days between charge, not much luck here i tell you, you will be disapointed with it lol.

But apart from that I love the Magic and the Android and wont change it for anything right now... not that I can (on a long term contract lol)

Upvote 0
Sounds cool. I think the screen uses OLEDS (or am I getting confused with samsungs phone?), so that would explain the excellent screen brightness.

The battery life sucks on all 'next gen' phones. If I were a phone company I would use lithium polymer, vacuum formed to the shell of the phone (like apple does with some of their computers, I like how they do this despite me being anti-mac in pretty much every other regard). This increase of batter/space ratio greatly increases battery life.

Android will probably be much more common then it is now by the time your contract runs out.

I have had the magic for 5 days now and i must say WOW! is the android impressive, I don't know if i have fallen in love with the Android, the Magic or both. This is the future!!

I haven't used the G1 properly, but having played around with it, i was put of with its bulky size, and the moving parts... but with the Magic it is truly a beautiful piece or engineering. very beautiful, slim, very light, the screen is crisp and bright (even at 40%) and the touch screen is effortless.

#It does have limitations, i need to be honest... the touch screen keyboard is slow to type, this is my first touch screen phone with a full screen keyboard and my fingers do need some practice i guess. other then that i dont see any problems with the keyboard at all, when rotated to landscape the keyboard is larger and makes it that much easier.

The phone is truly beautiful and fits well in ur hand, solid and firm but light, can really feel that this is a quality device. apart from that WOW is the battery life horrible, I have always had phones that lasted 3 or even 4 days between charge, not much luck here i tell you, you will be disapointed with it lol.

But apart from that I love the Magic and the Android and wont change it for anything right now... not that I can (on a long term contract lol)

Upvote 0
Sounds cool. I think the screen uses OLEDS (or am I getting confused with samsungs phone?), so that would explain the excellent screen brightness.

The battery life sucks on all 'next gen' phones. If I were a phone company I would use lithium polymer, vacuum formed to the shell of the phone (like apple does with some of their computers, I like how they do this despite me being anti-mac in pretty much every other regard). This increase of batter/space ratio greatly increases battery life.

Android will probably be much more common then it is now by the time your contract runs out.

The Samsung is the one with the AMOLED screen.

Upvote 0
Yeah. OLED screens are beautiful, and they use less power. If the I7500 had a physical keyboard, I would be all over that :)

Yea seriously, touch screen keyboards are annoying and make some apps not work :( Actually, I'm just guessing on the app thing since I don't own an android phone, but think about it, how could you use the keyboard on the i7500 if the app takes up the whole screen? Being a minor coder myself (emphasis on minor ;)), I'd find it annoying not having a keyboard as input controls for an app. It would be hard for me to figure out how to use the accelerometer as input controls too if I was going to use that. Whatever, maybe I'll just wait for another phone to come out with a freaking keyboard.

Upvote 0
I'm the opposite here, the absence of physical keyboard is precisely what i like about magic as it keeps the phone nice and sleek without any moving parts!

anyway had the phone for a few days now, and this is my favorite the best phone ive ever had!! both in terms of its looks and performance, the android is sooo fast and the phone is very responsivle, plus the myraid of applications available:)

Upvote 0
guys calm down!
The G2 ia a different phone from the G1. some folk want keyboards, others don't. Both the Toyota Landcrusier and Ferrari F40 are the best in the world at what they do, but you can't really compare them!
The G2 happens to be smaller and look nicer ....
Me thinks there are alot of G1 owners posting in this thread reverse justifying their puchase ....

Upvote 0
guys calm down!
The G2 ia a different phone from the G1. some folk want keyboards, others don't. Both the Toyota Landcrusier and Ferrari F40 are the best in the world at what they do, but you can't really compare them!
The G2 happens to be smaller and look nicer ....
Me thinks there are alot of G1 owners posting in this thread reverse justifying their puchase ....

I can tell you this much....

I, being a G1 buyer, DO NOT regret buying my G1....

And I don't see anyone getting heated up so there's no reason for anyone to calm down... o.o

This is just an intellectual discussion...

Upvote 0
I'm strongly considering the Magic right now. I've had a play with the on-screen keyboard and I don't think the lack of hardware keyboard will be an issue for me. (I have an iPod Touch and I get along with the keyboard on that pretty well). I also currently use an N95, so it can't really be worse than T9.

It would be nice if it had a 3.5mm jack, but now Android support A2DP this will be less of a problem for me, as I already have an A2DP headphone dongle for my N95.

The camera will be a bit of a downgrade, but I generally only upload my pics to Flickr and Twitpic and I usually turn the flash on the N95 off.

Lack of Memory could be an issue - but i've dealt with that on the Wii for the last couple of years, and they finally fixed it in a firmware upgrade, so perhaps the same will happen for Android.

The battery life of the G1 was a concern, but i've heard it's better with 1.5... Anyone with battery life experience with the Magic?

Upvote 0
I'm strongly considering the Magic right now. I've had a play with the on-screen keyboard and I don't think the lack of hardware keyboard will be an issue for me. (I have an iPod Touch and I get along with the keyboard on that pretty well). I also currently use an N95, so it can't really be worse than T9.

It would be nice if it had a 3.5mm jack, but now Android support A2DP this will be less of a problem for me, as I already have an A2DP headphone dongle for my N95.

The camera will be a bit of a downgrade, but I generally only upload my pics to Flickr and Twitpic and I usually turn the flash on the N95 off.

Lack of Memory could be an issue - but i've dealt with that on the Wii for the last couple of years, and they finally fixed it in a firmware upgrade, so perhaps the same will happen for Android.

The battery life of the G1 was a concern, but i've heard it's better with 1.5... Anyone with battery life experience with the Magic?

The HTC Magic has a larger battery than the G1 so there would already be an improvement with battery life...

In terms of G1 before and after Android 1.5 update...in my personal opinion...I think battery power has improved a bit since the new update.

Upvote 0
Just a curious question really....

Do you plan on buying the HTC Magic?

I, for one, will not be buying it.

I prefer physical keyboards over virtual keyboards so I'll be sticking with the G1...

And besides....I've still got a long way to go in my contract before I can even think of looking for an upgrade... -_-

So what about you guys?

So why not get an HTC Dream ? It's practically the same device and with the psychical keyboard ( slide )you mentioned

Upvote 0
I just decided today that I was gonna ditch my HTC Diamond running Windows Mobile and buy a Magic but then I saw the Samsung TG01 and now I'm not so sure which one I would prefer. The magic wins on looks if you ask me but the Samsung seems to beat it on just about every spec. It has an AMOLED screen for better images and lower power consumption, its bluetooth is not just for headset support, has a 3.5mm jack which basically is what I really want to make phone a complete multimedia device. Carrying around a converter is just not the way I wanna roll ;)

We'll see though, If the Samsung gets good reviews I'll probably get it. If it doesn't I'll get the Magic, or just wait for a good Android phone with a 3.5mm jack.

The HTC Diamond let me down simply cause of Windows Mobile (even 6.5 is not enough). Android here I come :D

EDIT: And the i7500 has a 1500 mah battery combined with its AMOLED screen so it will have better battery life. The Magic has a 1300mah (I think) and a normal screen which should offer good battery life, but it will lose to the Samsung. I decision I need to make should be pretty obvious to me but I still don't know for sure which one I'd prefer.

Upvote 0
You would probably be better getting the Samsung phone in my opinion...

I can't particularly see it getting awful reviews...
I'm not a big Samsung fan but this phone does look the business....
I'm just wondering whether they'll use the normal UI for Android (like the G1 and Magic have) or use a custom-built one...

If they use a custom-built one...it could drag it's rating down if it's been implemented poorly...

Upvote 0
Well, after wandering on the web looking for a PDAphone I am very close to acquire a Magic.

Only doubt: the fact that the Hero will soon be available (but at which price?).

The $$$ will probably do the difference, so ... a little question. There are several opportunities on the net but I have seen that there is not A Magic but THREE Magics:

• one for Vodafone taking datas on 900/2100 MHz
  • one called ION on 1700mhz/2100mhz
  • and one for Rodgers on 850 and 1900MHZ and this a bonus of 96Mo of RAM.
QUESTION: Which one will be good for me on an Orange french network?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones