Anyone in a 4G zone...

Last Updated:

1. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Would you mind running a speedtest? I've read some stories of T-Mobile's and AT$T's 3G being faster than Sprint's 4G. I just wanted to see it for myself.

Anyone?

Advertisement
  2. evomeskin

evomeskin New Member

lubbock texas.....6.2 just now...but normally see 5 or so?? thats inside my office....signal is better outside, but its hot...so im not going out there..LOL...incidentally, i get 1.4 meg on 3g so you can compare to that...

3. CaryTheLabelGuy

CaryTheLabelGuy New Member

This is in Jacksonville, Fl. 4G WiMax w/ only 2 bars of reception. I usually see 6-10mbps. People that say 3G service from other carriers are faster, are just jealous or plain stupid.

Not sure why the pic wont stay up.....but it was 9.23/ .88 mbps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member

I routinely get between 4-7mbps in Chicago. I'm pleased.

5. quentin135

quentin135 Well-Known Member

Just did a quick test with the Sprint speed test site on a fair 4g signal in Chicago, got a 5.9Mpbs down and .5Mpbs up. Under the circumstances, that seems pretty standard for me in Chicago.

6. Froghair

Froghair Member

I get only 2-3 mbs download in downtown Seattle...or anywhere around Seattle for that matter. 3g is gnerally <1.

7. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

I've never seen anything over 3 mbs.

8. samplerate

samplerate Well-Known Member

I pulled this In Nashville TN (the network isn't officially lit but in some places its on)

[​IMG]

I regulary get 4.5Mb dls and have never seen anything below 2Mb. although it will be interesting to see how that changes when the network "officially" comes on...

9. airdog

airdog Well-Known Member

Ran a speedtest 5 times using Speakeasy.net in St Louis (working in St Louis even though its not officially launched yet). These are the highest and lowest download and upload speeds I got after running it 5 times.
    5.9Mpbs to 7.2Mpbs down and 1.2Mpbs Up in the downtown area.
    4.8Mpbs to 6.2Mpbs down and 1.1Mpbs Up near the airport.

10. MacRyan

MacRyan Member

Does the 4G area in Chicago extend out to Batavia or Carol Stream? Thanks.

11. Babbit

Babbit Well-Known Member

Anyone have 4g speed numbers in L.A.? I now it hasn't rolled out yet but I heard some areas are already live. I'm waiting for my EVO to arrive. Coming from an iPhone, I want a preview of what to expect. At&t is actually pretty fast where I live(south bay) although I know that's not the case for most places outside of California. I average about 3Mbps down / 250kbps up at my home and work. I know Sprint's 3G will be a little slower, but I'm expecting 4g to be quite a bit faster (especially for uploads) and latency.

12. Minjin

Minjin Well-Known Member

Home computer wired baseline via Comcast.
    [​IMG]

Wifi via Comcast.
    [​IMG]

Best 3g down 1 bar in signal. I had a couple that were around 500/500. I even had one crazy one that was 300/600.
    [​IMG]

Best 4g down 1 bar in signal. Most tended to be a little over 3meg. Uploads are all slightly less than 1meg (supposed to be capped so I don't know how people above are doing better).
    [​IMG]

13. Jimmy Burns

Jimmy Burns Member

Same here, I was over at Fry's Electronics in Renton sitting in the parking lot with great signal and would get a fluke 4 mb, but mostly 2-3 and some down to 1 or just below. I also tried in Tacoma with a good signal and got a fluke 5.4 mb, but again averaged in the low 2's to high 1's. I had the same results for 3g, hovering right at 1 or just below.

It's pretty sad if you ask me. I just need to hurry up and decide if I'm going to kick this thing and Sprint service to the curb. Between the crappy video quality and overhyped network service, I just don't know. :confused:

14. ibleedbloo

ibleedbloo Well-Known Member

I was pulling a consistent 5 mb on the 10/101 in Los Angeles yesterday.

15. chcougar1

chcougar1 Well-Known Member

My 3G speed at home here in Issaquah is about 1.9 down, .5 up.

The fastest 4G I've tested for in the Seattle area is about 2.8 down, 1.0 up.

Not great that is for sure.

My Wifi tested at 14 down, 4 up tonight...much faster than before the update, but yeah I know that is wifi haha

16. AsItLies

AsItLies Well-Known Member

Before the update I'd get, on average, less then 2 down.

Now, after 3 tests, consistently between 5 and 6. Browsing the web it really flies, pages just snap into place. It's awesome.

17. TunaNoCrust

TunaNoCrust Active Member

3g
    [​IMG]
    4g
    [​IMG]

Northside of Chicago but speeds are consistent everywhere I go.

its pretty crazy that we can wireless tether these things and share these kind of broadband speeds. I remember when I was growing up, I was the first kid on the block to have DSL and it was $80 a month for 780kbps/128kbps.

18. PapiLou

PapiLou Member

I consistently get 3+Mbps down and .5+Mbps up in Lubbock, TX. I use speedtest.net app.

19. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Not a chance either T-Mobile or ATT have faster 3g than springs 4g.

20. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

In theory it could be faster since its supposed to support like 7mb/s but that never happens. Its more like 2mb/s.

I get 5-6 down in ATL tethering.

21. PuRock

PuRock Well-Known Member

I see you are using the Frederick, MD Server, where are you that you are picking up 4G signal? Or are you in the 4G Baltimore area?

I'm in Gaithersburg, MD and still haven't picked up any 4G bars. Waiting patiently.

22. PuRock

PuRock Well-Known Member

Never mind I am getting 4G this morning. One bar. Wasn't getting it last week. I am not in an "official" 4G coverage.

So excited to see me pulling speeds of 6.64/.81 with one Bar! Time to party. Now I know why I bought this phone.

23. PuRock

PuRock Well-Known Member

Awesome! Just pulled a 7.98 download speed. In between Baltimore & DC here (not in coverage area).

24. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Sweet, gonna be spending a few weeks in Baltimore/DC and its nice to know I wont have to rely on (typically) crappy hotel internet.

25. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Not much 4G in NJ yet. However, I don't get worked up about speeds. TMo has been able to get fast speeds in the Philly area, often up to 10-12MBPS, but it's not 100% consistent in all areas and does dip during peak hours due to high number of users. And that's high using TMo's much smaller customer base so HSPA+ is definitely user-# impacted. Wimax should be less so, but it still suffers from less of a buildout. Remember HSPA+ uses the vast network of towers already up while Wimax needs new towers.

I won't complain about Wimax though because all of my friends using TMo immediately complain once they leave major metros because TMo's network really falls short in nationwide coverage, even within region coverage.