Anyone in Abilene, TX? (4G)

Last Updated:

1. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was there yesterday, first place I've been that was listed as being in WiMax range. Turned on the 4G radio to see if I could pick it up. Just kept scanning while there. And in most spots I had almost non-existant data speeds. At the Judge Ely Taco Bueno I had dl speed of EIGHT kbps. Did do better in some parts of town. Left town and forgot to turn off the 4G radio, and got notified as I was way out of town almost to Tuscola I picked up WiMax for about two minutes! Seems sort of ridiculous. Anyone in Abilene picking up signal? Or do you have to go out to the cow pasture?

BTW I know it's supposed to suck the battery dry turning it on, my car charger wouldn't even charge the phone with the 4G radio turned on, it just kept it from dropping..haha

Advertisement
  2. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

My folks used to live there, but don't anymore. No Evos among them anyways. Not that any of that helps, just trying to be relevant :D.

Are you sure the 4g is THAT big of a drainer? I made a short (40 minutes) drive the other day with Slacker and Navigation on the whole time. In addition, I made a phone call and sent a couple of texts at stoplights and my battery went up with an 800mA car charger. I could swear that I had 4g turned on, but I'm not certain (I'm in a 4g area).

3. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

All I know is it wasn't charging but was at least holding steady. I don't even care too much I don't expect to get WiMax where I live until possibly after I've moved onto another phone anyway..just guessing. I think though that if you aren't connected to 4g but it's on and scanning it probably drains quicker..

My main issue yesterday was that Navigation kept losing data connection which was a pain. Could barely get any signal while in Abilene but had it the rest of the trip on the highways. Really weird.