• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone jumping from a Blackberry to the Atrix?

I just wanted verify all these discussions about AT&T grandfathering unlimited data plans when switching to new hardware -- will this also apply to existing AT&T Blackberry users with the unlimited personal BIS plans going to the Atrix? TIA

Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on this thing :)

Well I'm not replacing a blackberry, but when i switched, I grandfathered my "iphone unlimited data plan" but had to do so in store. Actually I take back "had" I just pre-ordered in store to make sure i could grandfather it. Otherwise I would have jumped ship from AT&T despite the "want to have it" phone.

It seems to me if the blackberry unlimited data plan was something they REQUIRED you buy when you got the phone, a la iphone 2 years ago, it wouldn't make sense to REQUIRE you no longer have unlimited. Talk about pulling a Sony on removing features as an update...

Just go to the store and ask, my bet is it will be carried over.

Upvote 0
I was going to keep my 9000 for international travel... but i called to try and get it unlocked yesterday... they told me this phone will never be unlocked by ATT. I even went to local store and had them call... they were told the same thing.

The rep at the store was confused because they had done this in the past. The person at ATT said they were no longer unlocking phones... PERIOD. The store rep said to the phone rep that this was a big deal and why were they not notified.

Could someone confirm this?

P.S. I am already done with my 2 year contract... going to sign new one for Atrix on Monday.

Upvote 0
I was going to keep my 9000 for international travel... but i called to try and get it unlocked yesterday... they told me this phone will never be unlocked by ATT. I even went to local store and had them call... they were told the same thing.

The rep at the store was confused because they had done this in the past. The person at ATT said they were no longer unlocking phones... PERIOD. The store rep said to the phone rep that this was a big deal and why were they not notified.

Could someone confirm this?

P.S. I am already done with my 2 year contract... going to sign new one for Atrix on Monday.

Not worth wasting your time talking to ATT Representative in store or over the phone just pay $1 or $2 in ebay to get the unlock code as I did for my BB 9700. you can try this..

??Unlock Code for AT&T Blackberry Bold 9000 9700 9800?? - eBay (item 170606086752 end time Feb-21-11 10:00:26 PST)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones