• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Anyone know a good car charger for Sprint Hero (Monoprice?)

Vesbon

Apr 24, 2010
I'm looking for an inexpensive, but still decent quality car charger and wall charger for my Sprint Hero. Does Monoprice have them? Has anyone used them?

I ordered a car charger from Monoprice that was meant for an EVO, i wonder if that will work (I haven't yet received it in the mail)?

Thanks,
-v

I get all mine from ebay, they're like 5 bucks. I happened to already have a usb to car lighter adapter plug so i just take my wire that came with the phone with me everywhere, i haven't used the wall charger in probably a month, i use the computer at home and the usb connecter in the car.

I accidentally ordered this car charger for the EVO: Will this work for a Hero: HTC Evo 4G Car Charger

Thanks,
-v

Upvote 0
I bought a t-mobile charger at the local used book shop and it works fine. Not the odd shape of the HTC connector though, it looks like the one on the left of this image.
mini-micro-usb-connector.jpg

Upvote 0
Cheapest charger you can get (that I've found) is one meant for the Razer V3.
It was one of the first to have a mini usb, and you can still get them from Monoprice. I think they may be $2 at most.

They are so common now I keep finding them at home all over the place and I have given a bunch away, I think the old one for my Razr from Motorola is the best one, very heavy coiled cord and it lights up when you plug it in, they are $6 at Wal-Mart, checked monoprice they are a buck.
0072375598603_215X215.jpg

These two are right. The Razr chargers are likely the cheapest, since they're EVERYWHERE, and they work like a charm. I've used mine for years, charged two different razr's with it, charge my ipod through my FM transmitter with it, charge my Hero, even works for my mom's GPS if I ever need to take that anywhere

Upvote 0
I'm looking for an inexpensive, but still decent quality car charger and wall charger for my Sprint Hero. Does Monoprice have them? Has anyone used them?

I ordered a car charger from Monoprice that was meant for an EVO, i wonder if that will work (I haven't yet received it in the mail)?

Thanks,
-v

I actually use the charger that came with the phone. Because it's a USB that can be unplugged from the wall. I have a TAPE DECK:( in my car & it came with this adapter/charger thing where you can plug a USB cable into & it charges my Hero great... I find it charges so much faster than it does in the house too.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Based on this website I got the GF to use her old BB wall charger on her phone since her cable is coming apart.

Meanwhile, I have a scoche dual port USB car adapter, and everything time I try to charge her phone with it, it comes up "charging by USB, instead of Charging by AC" (the phone knows the difference between connection and limits the current throughput to the battery.

If you see charging by USB, there isn't enough current to the battery to overcome using the phone (IE talking or nav or ?)

Does anyone know how the HTC chargers are shorted on the data ports so that it knows the USB end is plugged into a wall charger?

Upvote 0
Great question! Maybe it can tell by the amount of current?

No its not that. either wall charger (the one that came with it and the BB version) push 850mA, USB spec is only 500mA.

Now most Car USB devices put out any number of amperages. My Scoche unit has 1Amp on both ports. I get that full AMP (1000mA) on my Moto DroidX. However her Hero still shows charging on USB. and thus 500mA.

Moto shorts out the data tabs on the USB port on the charger itself. The cable is normal. I assmue HTC does the same. But does it do it with resistors or ?

Regardless, I haven't played with it much, but her Hero doesn't like my Car usb charger.

Upvote 0

No scientific basis to the claims in that review. Yes, cheaply made chargers from China are a bad bet, because you're not guaranteed "clean" power to the battery... and I know from personal experience that using one killed one of my cell phone batteries. I use a good quality charger. Also... I try to use it in one "session" with the phone off. That way it gets charged faster and consistently. If you're driving around on errands making frequent stops, that's not good for the phone... to charge, stop, charge again for a few minutes, stop, repeat, etc., is not good charging practice.

The RAZR uses a mini-USB plug that is compatible with the Hero, so if you get one of those better made Motorola chargers, then it's a good bet it won't be bad for the phone.

I used to use a retractable car charger for my LG Lotus, which worked great until the thing developed an intermittent connection. I haven't found a quality replacement compatible with the HTC Hero... so, got 12V USB extension and use a quality USB cable from that to the Hero.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones