Anyone know about any Gtalk issues?

Last Updated:

1. pipskicks

pipskicks Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Gtalk on my phone worked fine at one time, but now it "shows" me as available, only one or two friends are visibile (can't make my long list of friends show) and no one can see me online.

Very fusterating since I can't log off/on or restart, it just shows me as online but I'm not...

Tried researching this, but my problem isn't my phone disconnecting me, it seems to never connect in the first place, even though all my log-in details are correct and they even get the one friend to show correctly (not his status but his info is correct).

Advertisement
  2. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

mine works fine ...can sign in and out whenever and all contacts are listed

3. pipskicks

I even tried to sign out, and I turned off auto-sign-in and it just exits and starts the app, but every time it shows me as signed-in with one friend visible but offline. This is very confusing! Is there an update to the stock Gtalk?

4. RetiredFinally

RetiredFinally Well-Known Member

Have you tried a battery pull?

5. pipskicks

Actually, I got the phone 2-3 weeks ago and it worked the first time I used it, I set it up and had a conversation. I have done multiple battery pulls and it's dead now.

It seems like it's not really restarting the program ever though (I sign out and open it and it doesn't seem like anything changed) is there a way to re-install Gtalk? Or do something similar?

6. jazzneel

jazzneel Well-Known Member

random question. Does gtalk drain the battery if it is on all the time? If so, does it drain it alot, or just when you are using it? I have a Pre, and have gtalk on 24/7, and it doesn't drain my battery that much unless im using the gtalk app. JW (i'm switching to the Hero in 2 weeks!)

7. pipskicks

IMO if gtalk isn't working now even, when it was I'm SURE it was a battery drain, but it wasn't too big (then again if you spend every other minute sending a message on it, your experience will obviously vary, I did not chat on it much, but it was open all the time). There are MUCH more draining apps, I doubt you'll have a problem with Gtalk.

I seemed to have the most problems with 3rd party widgets, or apps that use wifi/gps. That and I think I underestimated how much just the screen being on drains compared to little apps running.

8. 702DROID

im getting 15+ hours out of each charge and im signed into gtalk 24/7

9. pipskicks

I get much less, and I know I could get a bit more by turning off some widgets, but it's frustrating to have to curb your phone's usability to extend the battery life. I just charge it more for now, but I think my battery is also still getting worked in because my battery life is so volatile.

10. 702DROID

i have gps and bluetooth on 24/7 too never use wifi so sprints networks always connected

11. Paelion

Paelion New Member

I've had random problems with Gtalk, too.. I only have one person I talk to on it, but sometimes it'll show him offline when he is online and we can continue to chat.. But the big problem that pisses me off is that randomly, the messages sent to me will stop showing in the convo thread.. It will pop up a notification in the notification bar, and when I select it, it takes me into Gtalk, but doesn't show the new message. But anything *I* send will show just fine. Then after awhile it'll start working normally again, and it'll also start working normally again if I do a power cycle.

I was wondering the same thing asked above, too.. Is there an update to the stock version we have on the Hero?

12. pipskicks

Yeah my problem is completely different but it still seems like the program isn't functioning correctly and it also seems like there's no apparent way to "restart" or better "re-install" it.

Kinda weird that Google would make it so you had to download Meebo to use Gtalk when I thought it was supposed to be more of the BB equivalent to their messenger. It's not even close, hopefully they make it better.

13. gotjnco

gotjnco Member

I had similar problems with the app... so i decided to switch over to ebuddy... and it works great...

14. Paelion

Paelion New Member

So because of the Gtalk issues, I decided to try both Meebo and eBuddy.. And I have found that both kill the battery at ridiculous rates.. Meebo not quite as bad as eBuddy.. but eBuddy took me from appx 85% battery to under 5% in like 7-8 hours.. and I only sent/received a dozen or two messages is all.. Only had it connected with Gtalk, none of the other messengers..

Any other apps out there or suggestions to fix this?

15. Alain024

Alain024 Member

Same issue here... you should try Trillian Beta.