• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone know about NHS (UK) email settings?

What your IT dept is likely trying to do is setting up your phone to be able to connect to their exchange server. But for them to do that, you will have to agree to their exchange policies, which, for security reasons, will give them the ability to remote wipe your device if you lose it (because the device will potentially have access to confidential patient information - and no, they likely won't set up separate policy for you even if you don't have access to confidential information as part of your job role)

(the reason why you don't have to enter your Email ID at work is likely because your computer is already registered on their domain)

Given that you can access it from webmail (assuming you don't need to be on a VPN for that), you could ask them for the pop3/smtp server information and see if they can provide you with that. If they give you that information, you can set that up in the mail app.

Upvote 0
Thank you...that's really good info. There was some small print about remote wiping my phone, which sounded very scary, but I suppose I can see their point, even though we have a strict (corporate) policy of never having patient-identifiable data on any personal device and never transmitting it via email, even internally.

We don't need VPN to access webmail so I'll ask about the pop3/smtp setings you mention and see how I get on.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thank you...that's really good info. There was some small print about remote wiping my phone, which sounded very scary, but I suppose I can see their point, even though we have a strict (corporate) policy of never having patient-identifiable data on any personal device and never transmitting it via email, even internally.

We don't need VPN to access webmail so I'll ask about the pop3/smtp setings you mention and see how I get on.

Thanks again!

Even though you're not getting confidential patient information and there's non on personal devices, it's still the Data Protection Act they have to comply with isn't it, and what you're doing is BYOD, Bring Your Own Device.

Upvote 0
OP, just so you know, you'll have to accept those conditions even if you get the email set up. For example, my university uses exchange and I have to give them permission to wipe my phone (and the exchange security stuff) before it would authenticate with exchange. The reason IT had you sign the form is so you know you're giving them permission to do those things because they will hit the yes button when they set everything up.

Having said that, you got the server address right. Now you just need to figure out your username/domain combo. usually it's "domain\username" (yes with the opposite normal slash). Usually this is your actual username and not your email name (unless they are the same) and the domain is whatever domain you're logging into on work computers.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the point you're making. I can log into my work email via my personal laptop at home and nobody wanted to wipe that.

Likely depends if your work is subject to data confidentiality laws, Data Protection Act, HIPAA, etc. The OP definitely is, because that's NHS hospitals. They could well have a requirement to be able to remotely erase it. Because if you do happen to have confidential work emails on your laptop, phone, tablet, etc. and it goes missing. There's been plenty of stories about stolen and missing laptops full of confidential data....just ask the British government, or the IRS, or whatever.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the point you're making. I can log into my work email via my personal laptop at home and nobody wanted to wipe that.

Your phone travels with you, where ever you go (even after work and weekends etc). For most folks, the laptop doesn't travel with you all the time (sometimes, but for most folks, not always).

Also, I don't know about your workplace, but if I connect to my workplace using my phone, I don't only have access to Email, but to a whole lot more (basically like me being connected to the office intranet). So, the risk is significantly higher. With webmail on my notebook, even if I leave my mail logged on (and it doesn't time out on me), it only has access to Email.

Upvote 0
I work for Bartshealth. There are several ways to get you work email on your phone - if you really want to. Alot depends on the set up by your IT department. We are offered a outlook web browser which can be accessed via a url. Great for laptops but no good for phones. Too tiny and not pushed. In other words, you will only know there is mail when you log in.

There is a specific setting to access the exchange server. Yes you will need to sign you life away

The easier way around things is to get all you internal email forward onto your nhs.net email - assuming you have one. If not get IT to authorise the set up and then set your outlook to forward all mail to your nhs.net address. Once that is done you can access your NHS.net mail on your phone. I set this up some phones ago using touchdown - a separate app. I think you might be able to set the access directly into the mail program

The guide is found in the guidance part of the nhs.net web view. I have downloaded it and could sent it on

I generally do not want every work email coming to my phone. So I set it up when I am away. I put in my out of office message that if people really need to get hold of me, they can email me at my nhs.net address.

Hope that this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones