• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone know how VZW measures data?

shadowspawn

Oct 18, 2012
I know it doesn't make too much of a difference, but does anyone know whether data is measured in decimal or binary measurements? As in gigabytes or gibibytes? I know data storage is measured in terms of decimal on the market, but I'm wondering if data usage is as well.

Log in to your MyVerizon web page and it will break down the data usage for you in your choice of unit ... KB, MB, GB (with a capital B for Bytes) Hope that helps

Sorry for not being clear enough. I'm not talking about bitrate or anything like that regarding bits vs. bytes, but rather how Verizon rationalizes their data usage. In binary, one kilobyte (or as it's called now, kibibyte) is exactly 1024 bytes. In the typical (SI) storage standards of measurement, one kilobyte is rationalized to 1000 bytes. The difference is quite negligible in smaller sizes, but the difference becomes more apparent as you go up in scale (2 "tebibytes" being 2199023255552 bytes while 2 "terabytes" are 2000000000000 bytes, effectively 1.62 tebibytes which is considerably less than 2 tebibytes).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones