• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone know of an ethernet cable hack for the Droid?

So I've been in Europe for the past 7 weeks, and while my Droid has been the best multi-purpose travel tool one could ask for, I've kept wondering one thing.

While I've had wifi access in most of the places I've been, there are still some hostels and hotels I've stayed in where internet access is via ethernet cable, rather than wifi. For example, I'm in Belgium right now, and our hotel's internet is wired only, and the plug is over in a corner underneath a windowsill, and the cable they gave us is about four feet long. So if I want to use my laptop, I have to stand up at the window to do so. Granted, there is quite a lovely view, but I keep looking at my (rooted) Droid and thinking about how nice it would be to be able to plug it into the ethernet cable and use wireless tethering to get my laptop online that way.

The other reason it'd be really nice is that I use a lot of different apps while traveling for things like maps and travel guides, and when I need to update data, I have to find wifi to do so. It'd be nice if I could plug it into the ethernet to do updates that way.

Has anyone heard of such a hack? Would such a thing be possible, or am I better off just bringing a travel router with me?

Just thought I'd ask. :)

None of the hotels I stayed at in Japan had wifi, but almost all of them had ethernet. I bought a small travel router, and it worked great. It was the trendnet one. Very useful gadget on those rare occasions on travel.

I doubt there would be any "real" way to do this, unless the phone had USB Host capabilities, and I think that's a rather difficult hack to pull off on the droid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones