• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone know why Android locked SD card from apps in first place?

musiclover7

Nov 25, 2012
I'm trying to figure out why Google would opt to lock down the SD card, such that apps can no longer write to it. What's up with this decision? What is the purpose? Security obviously, but what bits get stored on the SD card that are so critical to the health and wellness of the OS? Call me curious...

Jerry Hilderbrand over at Android Central made this point which is as far as I can tell the main reason for the change;
"...previously any application that declared permission to read and write to the SD card was allowed to write files to any folder — including your system folders, and any folder something like a banking app might have made. Any type of file, too. That includes files that could be read when another app starts up and affect the settings or way that app works. It was a complete and total security nightmare, and why a lot of people — including yours truly — did not want phones with SD cards."
You can read the whole article at this link.

Upvote 0
Any app can create its' own folder on the SD card. Once that is done, then that app can move files, copy paste files TO THAT FOLDER. That app is locked out of all other folders.
Once you understand that part of it, it's really not all that bad.

ie, I have my camera configured to save all pictures to the SD card and it does quite nicely. This keeps my phone's internal memory open for app data and it has about 5 gB available for apps to use. not likely that will ever be a problem.

So, keeping all multi-media, photos, videos, etc. on the SD card leaves the phone's internal memory open most of the time.

Upvote 0
Some developers/apps canNOT write to the SD card at all. I have quite a few apps with the issue, where they specifically say its not possible under Kitkat. Not that they are lazy and can't be bothered ;)

This is something to do with the apps which need access to the file system structure, like file explorer managers and picture/gallery managers like Quickpic, so its not applicable to all apps.

The reason why the camera and my files manager can write to the SD card is because they are Samsung applications.

Upvote 0
I am also finding that some apps which have the ability to edit mp3 tags, are unable to do so for files on sd card. Also can't pull data over to sd card via wireless without the ability. Pretty frustrating. They should have given the end user the ability to create directories designated as read/write on the card.

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones