• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone knows of an RSS reader with nice UI and native reading capabilities?

denis_sianto

Jul 23, 2010
Hello,

Anyone knows of an RSS reader with nice UI, offline reading, and native (built-in) reading capabilities?

I tried feedR and NewsRob, but they both still need to jump to 'browsers' when I wanted to read full articles. This would mean their offline reading features would be useless to me. When commuting, I always had no signals, and it would be useless if I could only read short article because of no network receptions.

Please, suggest me something..

Thanks for helping :eek:

newsroom is by far the prettiest RSS app out there. its navigation and layout is top notch.

The kicker: does not sync with google reader like newsrob does :( What you have to do if you want your google feeds is either add them within the app, or go to the reader in your browser, go to settings and export them. Then, transfer the file to your phone, then use newsroom to import them. So basically you will have your RSS feeds, but when you mark them read or starred or whatnot, it wont reflect on your computer.

If newsroom gets native google reader syncing, it instantly becomes the best RSS reader on the market.

Upvote 0
newsrob now has the instapaper mobilizer, which I like better than googles. using that setting plus display articles+images+simplified web cuts down loading times a lot.

Some sites (don't know why) will pull in the whole article when you click on the feed (npr does this), others you'll have to hit the jump for the full article. Not sure if theres any way around that

Upvote 0
actually (and the reason it doesn't sync to google reader...yet) newsroom fetches and downloads the full article to its own server, compresses it and sends it to your phone. If you compare newsroom to another rss client, newsroom will always have more full articles offline.

Regarding newsrob, etc, those depend on the feed itself (where as newsroom doesn't due to its backend system), so some feeds only contain a paragraph, othrs contain most of hte text

Upvote 0
newsroom is the way to go. i use it to read rss feeds on the subway when there's no signal. you'll still have to launch a browser if you want the full article but most of the time the newsroom content is enough. download the trial and try it out.

most of news feed I am subscribed too, needed to hit one more jump for full article. So it would be useless if I could read only the 'header' of the actual news while i am in a no signal zone.

Upvote 0
Newsroom actually tries to fetch the entire article. It's certainly not just headers. Lekky is correct that the newsroom servers compress the data. It isn't always perfect but it's usually more than adequate. Download the trial and see for yourself. Most rss readers only display headers and then force you to connect for the actual content. Newsroom is the only exception I've found. I believe it does exactly what you want and is well worth the cost.

Upvote 0
Newsroom actually tries to fetch the entire article. It's certainly not just headers. Lekky is correct that the newsroom servers compress the data. It isn't always perfect but it's usually more than adequate. Download the trial and see for yourself. Most rss readers only display headers and then force you to connect for the actual content. Newsroom is the only exception I've found. I believe it does exactly what you want and is well worth the cost.

No, it doesn't
Apparently there are three levels of articles,
- Header
- Short Article (which some feed uses to show the whole article)
- Full Article

Newsroom only downloads header and short article. It still did not download full article. Therefore on some feeds, you still need to go to browsers to read the whole article. And you can't do this on places like subway or airplane.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones