1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone knows of an RSS reader with nice UI and native reading capabilities?

Last Updated:

1. denis_sianto

denis_sianto Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Anyone knows of an RSS reader with nice UI, offline reading, and native (built-in) reading capabilities?

I tried feedR and NewsRob, but they both still need to jump to 'browsers' when I wanted to read full articles. This would mean their offline reading features would be useless to me. When commuting, I always had no signals, and it would be useless if I could only read short article because of no network receptions.

Please, suggest me something..

Thanks for helping :eek:

Advertisement
  2. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

newsroom is by far the prettiest RSS app out there. its navigation and layout is top notch.

The kicker: does not sync with google reader like newsrob does :( What you have to do if you want your google feeds is either add them within the app, or go to the reader in your browser, go to settings and export them. Then, transfer the file to your phone, then use newsroom to import them. So basically you will have your RSS feeds, but when you mark them read or starred or whatnot, it wont reflect on your computer.

If newsroom gets native google reader syncing, it instantly becomes the best RSS reader on the market.

3. denis_sianto

I agree newsroom is the prettiest for now. But how about full article offline capability? I heard, you still need to jump to browsers when you are trying to open full article..

4. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

i think that depends on the format of how the feed is released by the creator. not sure tho

5. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

newsrob now has the instapaper mobilizer, which I like better than googles. using that setting plus display articles+images+simplified web cuts down loading times a lot.

Some sites (don't know why) will pull in the whole article when you click on the feed (npr does this), others you'll have to hit the jump for the full article. Not sure if theres any way around that

6. residue

residue Member

newsroom is the way to go. i use it to read rss feeds on the subway when there's no signal. you'll still have to launch a browser if you want the full article but most of the time the newsroom content is enough. download the trial and try it out.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

actually (and the reason it doesn't sync to google reader...yet) newsroom fetches and downloads the full article to its own server, compresses it and sends it to your phone. If you compare newsroom to another rss client, newsroom will always have more full articles offline.

Regarding newsrob, etc, those depend on the feed itself (where as newsroom doesn't due to its backend system), so some feeds only contain a paragraph, othrs contain most of hte text

8. denis_sianto

most of news feed I am subscribed too, needed to hit one more jump for full article. So it would be useless if I could read only the 'header' of the actual news while i am in a no signal zone.

9. denis_sianto

what do you mean with will have 'more full articles offline' ?

10. residue

residue Member

Newsroom actually tries to fetch the entire article. It's certainly not just headers. Lekky is correct that the newsroom servers compress the data. It isn't always perfect but it's usually more than adequate. Download the trial and see for yourself. Most rss readers only display headers and then force you to connect for the actual content. Newsroom is the only exception I've found. I believe it does exactly what you want and is well worth the cost.

11. denis_sianto

No, it doesn't
    Apparently there are three levels of articles,
    - Header
    - Short Article (which some feed uses to show the whole article)
    - Full Article

Newsroom only downloads header and short article. It still did not download full article. Therefore on some feeds, you still need to go to browsers to read the whole article. And you can't do this on places like subway or airplane.

12. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

NewsRoom is my favorite but Pulse is a close second (it integrates with Google Reader).