• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone NOT in the U.S., please answer a question for me!

There is quite a bit of advertising in Canada as well. I live in Metro Vancouver and we are close enough to the US to pick up American radio stations from Bellingham and even some weak signals from Seattle. When I first tuned into the US stations, I noticed that they play way more commercials than the Canadian ones. It felt like 50% of the air was filled up with commercials.

Upvote 0
There is quite a bit of advertising in Canada as well. I live in Metro Vancouver and we are close enough to the US to pick up American radio stations from Bellingham and even some weak signals from Seattle. When I first tuned into the US stations, I noticed that they play way more commercials than the Canadian ones. It felt like 50% of the air was filled up with commercials.
Yes, at least 50% and easily as much on TV as well. Sometimes I think it's more than that even

Upvote 0
I'm in Spain right now, but always repping Cali for sure!! I have to say that the pics Mike uploaded could be ANY of the million Chinese Bazaars here in Seville. If I remember to take my phone I'll upload some myself, but as Mike can tell you, you seen one Chinese Bazaar you've seen them all, lol!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being born and raised in the same backwater mountain town, I have no concept of the outside world. One of the things that I dislike the most about America is how ad heavy everything is. Everything. From the moment we wake up in our own homes there is advertising around us, while driving, shopping, working. Every place I go, every time I turn my head, there is some commercial or advertising in sight. And I'm in a small town, it's immeasurably worse in a big city. It's even at the gas pumps now, a small video screen that only plays commercials while someone is pumping gas

And I wonder if other countries have to put up with this?

It's not like that at all here in France. There is very little advertising compared to the US.

Upvote 0
I take it you've never seen the Arc de Triomphe...or rather the Arc de Coca-Cola. The one near the Eiffel Tower in Shenzhen that is. :thumbsupdroid:

LOL! No. Never been to China. Not yet anyway. I want to go. Someday.

There are very few adverts in Paris when compared to the UK and, especially, the US. Too much rubbishy advertising everywhere in the US.

The last time I was in the US I didn't bother to watch television. Whatever they were showing wasn't worth the trouble if I had to sit through all those adverts.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
On TV, I believe that a one-hour TV show has around 20 minutes of commercials. Back in the 70's, it was more like 10 minutes of commercials for a 1-hour show.

I can confirm that! I purchased a seasons worth of a one hour TV shows on DVD (No advertising). Each episode was about 35 - 40 minutes in length. :(:(

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0
OK, way to be right about not having a sense of humor. :D :D :D

Yeah, I love to watch adverts, they're my favorite shows!

Either that or I don't watch commercial television and we're both being silly. ;) :D

Not being silly. American and French adverts are annoying. British adverts are often very funny. When they go up on You Tube I send the URLs back to friends in the US.

The Aldi, Specsavers, and Enterprise Car rentals are the funniest. (I like these better than most programmes.)

Upvote 0
I'll try to explain one more time and then I'm giving up.

I don't watch commercial television.

I watch ads if someone sends me a youtube link - maybe. I'll watch 1 in 10 invitations, I don't care how funny they are.

I don't have to worry about my brain rotting from watching commercials, because I don't watch them.

I do have to worry about my brain rotting from other causes but that's a different topic. :)

Upvote 0
I'll try to explain one more time and then I'm giving up.

I don't watch commercial television.

I watch ads if someone sends me a youtube link - maybe. I'll watch 1 in 10 invitations, I don't care how funny they are.

I don't have to worry about my brain rotting from watching commercials, because I don't watch them.

I do have to worry about my brain rotting from other causes but that's a different topic. :)

I see what you mean now.My English isn't brilliant, so I didn't understand what you meant. Sorry.

Upvote 0
I see what you mean now.My English isn't brilliant, so I didn't understand what you meant. Sorry.
You should never have to apologize for poor English. If you watch this, you will see why English is the most difficult and confusing language in the world. And get some good laughs too!

I'm sure it's better than my French! :D

EM, I hope this is your 1 out 10, but I won't be offended if it's not ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones