• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone notice . . .

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
I mentioned the iPhones available from Virgin Mobile as well as Cricket. I just noticed that Boost Mobile is offering the Galaxy S II 4g. Correct me, but isnt that phone considered a higher end device?

I like the 4.3" screen. Perhaps I'll go that way.

Are these phones coming to the cheap seats because VM/Boost?Cricket are growing or is it because people are tired of contracts? I remember when the Zio arrived at Cricket. It was big news.

You know, I think that people are tired of contracts. I have one friend who is off contract, and a few family members. The friend is/was off contract simply because it was a better deal and ended up with an unlocked iphone ( :eek: right? :p )....

And I think the SII is a bit 'older' now so I'm not sure carriers would consider it a 'high' end device.... but I'd say it definitely was (and not that long ago).

Have you considered straight talk, unlimited talk text and data for $45. Not bad. I hear they use At&t towers...

Upvote 0
According to pretty credible rumors over at Cricketusers forum, Cricket will be getting the Galaxy S 3 later this year. Probably be priced similar to the iPhones. I think the prepaid carriers are realizing enough people will pay the $ for a nice phone to make it worth their while, and at the same time have something "aspirational" in their lineup to make their companies image not so "ghetto" so to speak. Sort of like the car companies do.

Upvote 0
You know, I think that people are tired of contracts. I have one friend who is off contract, and a few family members. The friend is/was off contract simply because it was a better deal and ended up with an unlocked iphone ( :eek: right? :p ).... <br />
<br />
And I think the SII is a bit 'older' now so I'm not sure carriers would consider it a 'high' end device.... but I'd say it definitely was (and not that long ago). <br />
<br />
Have you considered straight talk, unlimited talk text and data for $45. Not bad. I hear they use At&t towers...
They have a plan where you bring your own phone and you get a sim card that uses both AT&T and T-Mobile. A perfect example of a phone like that would be a GNex.

Upvote 0
You know, I think that people are tired of contracts. I have one friend who is off contract, and a few family members. The friend is/was off contract simply because it was a better deal and ended up with an unlocked iphone ( :eek: right? :p )....

And I think the SII is a bit 'older' now so I'm not sure carriers would consider it a 'high' end device.... but I'd say it definitely was (and not that long ago).

I just noticed the S II 4G was new to BM. I did take a look at it today, and it is a rather nice phone. Nice large screen. My guess is if people tire of 2-year contracts, the No Contract plans will grow in popularity.

I do not expect to see the new iPhone arriving at Cricket, VM or BM any time soon, however. That said, I recall it was quite a big deal when the Zio came to Cricket.

About all one can do is run the numbers and see what their phones really cost. At the phone store, one of the Galaxy models was more than 500.00 sans commitment.

Upvote 0
Cricket is supposed to be getting the S3 as well. I'm scared to think about the price, though. They are charging $400-$500 for the iPhone 4/4s.

I noticed (or I think I did) that if you went to VM, you would pay far more than at Cricket.

I think most of us purchase expensive phones; even the "free" ones are costly. The only difference is we do so on the installment plan.

Upvote 0
With the massive price increases at carriers lately, and now pre-paids are getting decent phones, Light/moderate users are really going to need to look at these pre-paid companies, as the value is tremendous, and the one downfall, devices, is becoming no longer as big a problem.

I tend to agree. Great phones from VM/BM/Cricket.

I know to the cent what my phone bill will be every month. Some of you likely pay more, I'll bet. Perhaps this will help the carriers change their plans so they are a tad more reasonable?

Upvote 0
I've also heard rumors that the pre-paid / non-contract carriers are getting higher end phones. They currently have last years high end phones. They're now getting the Galaxy S3s. Which will be great for them.

visit Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile and Cricket and have a look. I am amazed that the prepaid and no contract companies have added a few good phones.

I still like my Zio from Cricket and the Triumph from VM. I use to have people ask what kind of phone I was using. They were impressed with the large screen. Same thing with Triumph.

Great phones; if only they were Pre Unit Triumphs.

Upvote 0
Bob, I have the t-mo/telus galaxy s2, its a friggin awesome phone. Miles ahead of the two apples I had, put the 4, 4s and the s2x beside each other. in every application, function, etc, the samsung was faster, had better reception, and made clearer/louder calls. its a no brainer.

I took a look at them this AM. I agree, they are impressive. I guess ATT sells the Galaxy, the Galaxy II and the Galaxy S II 4g. Not sure about the numbers, but I could swear I saw all three.

At least a better model will arrive next week. Never a shortage of interesting Android phones out there.

Upvote 0
The SII should now be considered "top of the mid-range pile". It's a year older and well, Jellybean *may* be the last update it gets (official support period ends March 2013).

I am looking for a larger screen. Not one of those HUGE devices that look like a shrunken Kindle Fire, mind you. I need to get text messages and email and make phone calls with good sound.

I look at the smaller phones but I find them harder to use. I still might go iPhone, still, as soon as they drop in price.

For my every day work phone, I need to see the screen. Resolution, processor speed and the like are not important.

Upvote 0
I am looking for a larger screen. Not one of those HUGE devices that look like a shrunken Kindle Fire, mind you. I need to get text messages and email and make phone calls with good sound.

I look at the smaller phones but I find them harder to use. I still might go iPhone, still, as soon as they drop in price.

For my every day work phone, I need to see the screen. Resolution, processor speed and the like are not important.
Check out the unlocked Galaxy Nexus from the Google play store. I think it's only $350 or so. Drop a pre paid Sim card in there from T mobile or Walmart or whatever and it's a great deal. If you're looking for a big screen, you'll love it. Seems like the best bang for the buck out there.

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones