• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone on a pre-paid plan?

We finally broke it down and did the math. You can save $611 on a pre-paid plan with unlimited minutes, text messages and 1 gig of data for an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. Most people don't factor in the monthly cost of their plans when calculating just how much their phone is going to cost them.

Is anyone here on a pre-paid plan and if so, what do you think of it? Looking at the numbers is really making me consider going this route..

After finding prepaid and realizing it was the exact same service, I will never go back. Funny thing is I have tried to show all my friends the savings they would get but for some reason they don't want to leave the big carriers. I guess they like paying $100/month.

I think you did yourself a disservice in your comparison. If you use Straight Talk instead of H2O, the savings are even more substantial. Still the same ATT service but you get more data and a lower monthly plan cost.

Reactions: PhoneFanatic1
Upvote 0
After finding prepaid and realizing it was the exact same service, I will never go back. Funny thing is I have tried to show all my friends the savings they would get but for some reason they don't want to leave the big carriers. I guess they like paying $100/month.

I think you did yourself a disservice in your comparison. If you use Straight Talk instead of H2O, the savings are even more substantial. Still the same ATT service but you get more data and a lower monthly plan cost.

persim, you're completely right. With Straight Talk, there's an additional savings of $360 over 2 years. I updated the article and credited you!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
You can do the same thing with a Verizon phone on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO).

Verizon unlimited talk/text + 2GB data = $120 + fees
Page Plus unlimited talk/text + 1GB data = $55 + no fees

Over 2 years that's a savings of $1,560 - more than enough to offset the cost of an off-contract phone.

In your experience how does an exclusive Verizon MVNO compare to MVNOs like Straight Talk that use more than 1 network?

Upvote 0
$70 a month for 4G and an average of 7 GB a month download with Verizon unlimited data plan, plus 450 minutes and unlimited texts. Think I will stick with my plan instead of prepaid. Never want to experience another 3G network again.

You might be grandfathered into a plan but new service with Verizon that has 450 min, unlimited messaging and 4GB data is over $100/month after taxes and fees.

Upvote 0
So, help out a guy without ANY time on his hands...who do I go see to save me some bucks?
I'm a few months into a new 2yr Verizon agreement with a new ReZound phone, as of late December.
My Usage: GB-0.001 MB-0.999 KB-1,022.620
I have nationwide 450, unlimited data, texts etc
I'm a Wi-Fi guy. Use my phone constantly at home and rarely, if ever, in the car or at work. I have 4G but it isn't even available in my area yet.
Do I terminate early and take that fee then switch to whoever? Can I keep the phone? Can I upgrade to any phone I want at any time?
Thanks for any tips!

Upvote 0
So, help out a guy without ANY time on his hands...who do I go see to save me some bucks?
I'm a few months into a new 2yr Verizon agreement with a new ReZound phone, as of late December.
My Usage: GB-0.001 MB-0.999 KB-1,022.620
I have nationwide 450, unlimited data, texts etc
I'm a Wi-Fi guy. Use my phone constantly at home and rarely, if ever, in the car or at work. I have 4G but it isn't even available in my area yet.
Do I terminate early and take that fee then switch to whoever? Can I keep the phone? Can I upgrade to any phone I want at any time?
Thanks for any tips!

Might want to look into T-mo. You will have to get a GSM phone, but it's worth it. You could switch to their $50 plan which has unlimited everything (like 200mb of 4g, but since you don't use it doesn't really matter). Also might look into a phone that has wifi calling (only T-mo has this and only some of their phones have it. I know the MT4GS has it not sure what others do, but something to look into) if going to T-mo cuz then you can get all calls and texts through wifi never even using their network.

Also they have a $30 plan that has 100 minutes for talk and unlimited everything else with 5gb of 4g.

Upvote 0
I'm curious, for folks on unlimited plans, do you actually make use of the unlimited minutes/messages?

As for the economics of moving to prepaid, it depends largely on usage. We have a family plan with AT&T (700 minutes, currently 4,000+ rollover minutes) and even with all the fees and taxes, it's still cheaper than moving everyone to prepaid (either monthly or pay as you go).

Upvote 0
In your experience how does an exclusive Verizon MVNO compare to MVNOs like Straight Talk that use more than 1 network?

The phones I have on Page Plus in our family rarely go out of NJ, which is well covered by Verizon. Up to Albany and Niagara Falls, and down to Orlando were no problem though. Beyond those areas I can't really comment from personal experience, but from what I've seen on coverage maps, Verizon's coverage becomes less dense in the midwest.

Upvote 0
I'm curious, for folks on unlimited plans, do you actually make use of the unlimited minutes/messages?

I have unlimited voice & data, plus 250 SMS. Individual voice plans with Verizon are available in 450, 900, or unlimited minutes. I routinely go over 900 minutes, but if they had a 1400 or 2000 minute plan I'd probably be fine with it. My usage habits put me in the data miser category, typically 200-300MB per month, and I've never exceeded 100 SMS.

To summarize, I guess you could just say I'm old. :)

Upvote 0
if i cancel my AT&T, can i keep the phone or do i have to return the phone? i have a samsung galaxy skyrocket

If you pay the early termination fee then you can keep your phone, otherwise you could cancel and keep your phone, but will get your esn blocked by AT&T so it can't be used on AT&T anymore. (at least that's how it works from what I understand... I've never been on a contract so I don't know for sure...) Or if you are already past your 2 year contract you can cancel it and keep the phone without having the ESN blocked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones