Anyone on the "in" know of any colossal ROM releases upcoming?

Last Updated:

1. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Like it says.

It seems a little stagnant as only a few seem to be pretty consistent with updates, but most not.
    I have given up on Pete at this point (I know, cooler phones run the roost)

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I know some people are testing BB v.5 but I dont think he still has some left to do though. I think CM6 getting an official release is pretty big but not sure exactly what you are looking for.

3. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Not sure why you've given up on Pete; if you read his Twitter feed, you can see that he was on vacation with his family earlier in the month, and he's now busy with school stuff, but that he's still hard at work on BB 0.5. Sure, he's not coming up with a new release every week these days, but he definitely hasn't abandoned the ROM. Go talk to Smoked Glass users if you want to talk about giving up on a dev ;)

At any rate, CM, Liquid Frozen Yogurt, and Sapphire just came out with big releases if you're itching to try something new.

4. inssane

I know Pete is busy, but considering it has been well over a month and his build is now ancient by by Techie Standard Time. It just seems like after Froyo he fell of quite a bit, but his 2.1 ROMs were better than a college girl holding a case of Busch.

5. inssane

IDK - just seems like alot hit before and right after "official" Froyo components were out, and now I hear crickets.
    Maybe I just miss the excitement, and in a way, a little nostalgic of Pete's 9 updates a week back in the day.

6. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. Lots of people ditching the Droid 1 already, I still feel like I have so much life left in this phone. Luckily CM seems to continue with multiple phones so we'll likely still have them in 6 months.

7. drudometkin

drudometkin Well-Known Member

CM 6 came out on Friday night and for me that was a huge release.

8. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

I completely agree, using Chevy's SS 4.7, but looking waiting for something else. I wonder what droidmod's ROM will be like when it's released. They've kinda lost their steam.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

All I need is CyanogenMod. It's served me the best ever since Koush ported it over. As long as Cyanogen and Koush don't forget about us, I'm just fine! :)

I would say CM6 is "colossal", it just got released and it's been in the making since Froyo got leaked.

11. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for BB v0.5. I'm still using Chevy's SS 4.7 right now. I've run a few of the latest releases but really haven't been happy enough with them to keep them on the phone for an extended period. I'm sort of waiting for the next fast, simple ROM ala BB to come out.

12. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Pete said on his twitter he was almost done when FRG22D came out and he had to restart. I'm wondering if other devs had the same problem?

13. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I am newbie to the ROM scene (4 whole days with BB 0.4) but in other development circles I have seen situations like this.
    When you have bleeding-edge development with testers and users who are predominantly comprised of people who have very high levels of technological skill and experience the developers can poop out iterations that these advanced users will love...but only because they are skilled.
    i.e. "This new ROM is sweet after you go through and recalibrate your CPU smoke-shifter, and install some updated frap rays...."
    But as the product cycle continues and, in this case, root access becomes easier and easier people like me are able to root their device and utilize these custom ROMs. Then the forums and reviews are full of people whining because the ROM required some fiddling or *gasp* required them to wipe data and cache before installing or whatever.
    This is normal. You can see it illustrated in pie charts and graphs all over the technology world. Very early adopters of this kind of tech understand Linux and Java and all that rot and they are willing to essentially be partners to the developers in creating the products. Once the pie chart starts accepting people aside from "very early adopters" the products must mature more or suffer 5000 forum pages of people bitching about every little thing...this slows down development because the development standards are higher (or lower...depending on how you look at it...) So I would image that even if the D1 had a product life cycle extended by another year you would still see the frenetic pace of development slow a bit...and the ROM's tend to get easier and easier to utilize.

My .02 for what it is worth.

Cheers

14. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

15. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

This is true -- I was testing a beta of BB v0.5, which was flawless, just before FRG22D was released. Now Pete is back to the drawing board, to incorporate FRG22D.

16. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Things have def slowed down a lot. Wasn't long ago we were telling these guys to slow down. Guess I kinda miss it, too. But it is nice to have a ROM on my Droid for longer than two days. lol

For those who have expressed some concern about devs leaving us for greener pastures, I wouldn't be too worried. The Droid is still a very significant phone, if not the most significant Android phone still. Besides, there's still a lot of us and more users mean more donations*.

*I'm in no way insinuating that all devs only do this for donations. Fact is, there's more than enough evidence to the contrary. Just pointing out that supporting devs ensures the need to keep developing for these phones.

17. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Can you give us any hints as to what's new? Or are you sworn to secrecy?

18. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm sworn to secrecy, but I thought it was important to let folks know that Pete is actively working on v0.5 right now. What I will say is that the betas I tested were lightning fast, snappy and silky smooth and everything works.