Anyone on Three Uk having signal problems (2g) ??

Last Updated:

1. bigr1979

bigr1979 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have my Desire on Three UK network. It used to fall back to a 2G signal when there was no 3g coverage, for example when I am at home.

I noticed yesterday that my phone just wouldn't get a signal in the house, I then checked my old N95 which still has a Three Uk sim card and same problem.

Anyway I went to work and same issue inside the office. Can get a 3g signal when there is one but no 2g signal.

I deceided to phone up Three customer service to see if there was a fault or something but no real help there apart from they said they would report what I said to their technical team.

I then come home and look on the net and see things like this....

http://www.gogadgetnews.com/2010/11/...f-2g-coverage/

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems ?
    If they have switched of 2g here then I am fuming as it means I cant receive any calls at home !!

Advertisement
  2. JayJayW

JayJayW Well-Known Member

I got a Desire on Three a couple of weeks ago. Went to work and had a full H signal upstairs but absolutely no service at all downstairs. Did a bit of googling and discovered that Three have no 2G service of their own but have been roaming onto Orange's 2G in areas with bad 3G reception; they now think their 3G coverage is comprehensive enough in many areas that they are turning off the Orange roaming.
    Trouble is, their 3G signal seems crap at penetrating buildings.

I was faced with the prospect of a phone that was pretty much useless for the 40 hours a week I was at work - the place I use it most.

I rang Carphone Warehouse to envoke their 14 day return policy on internet orders which they at first said I had voided by using the phone :eek:
    but when I explained more about the 2G issues and the uselessness of the phone for so much of the time they relented and agreed to cancel the contract. Took it into my local CPW store and they gave me a new Desire on Orange - this has been brilliant for coverage and rarely even drops below 3G and has never been with no service.

3. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

bigr1979 likes this.
  4. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

I have had trouble with the 3 network from day one. I have had my bill reduced but I am still not happy. It does seem to fall on to the 2G backup network (Orange a lot)

5. bigr1979

bigr1979 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Imagine what it will be like once the 2G backup network (Orange) has had the plug pulled on it. It will just be falling back onto no signal at all.

6. jaybo1973

JUst manually switched and yes, the backup network has gone. This is going to cause major problems

7. jaybo1973

Right I am at a PC now, its hard to post on the move ;) This looks like being a bit of a nightmare. I am always dropping on to 2G, without it to fall back on, as you say.....

3 have already knocked a fiver off of my bill due to the problems I have been having. They told me coverage would improve over time and if I was happy using 2G for a while I would get the reduction until the end of my contract.

I have lost coverage entirely twice since posting earlier. They did suggest I install the 3 rom as my phone is unbranded. They said that there radio locks on to the network better. I dont really want to go down this route.

I want out of the contract. It has been shocking snce day one; now things are worse.

I paid

8. jaybo1973

Just rang 3 about my issue. I got absolutly nowhere, all the guy kept saying was 'yes the 2g coverage has been swithced off in your area, our 3g coverage has improved' has it hell! I am not happy!

how are you getting on OP?

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

They are killing off 2G in areas where there should be enough 3G coverage.

Remember though this is measured outside, so if it doesnt work inside you may be stuffed.

10. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

On the bright side, 3 are being good about letting people cancel their contracts early and usually keep the handset if they have no indoor coverage after 2G fall-back is switched off in their postcode area. ;)

tiring_day likes this.
  11. wardanne

wardanne New Member

hi i have had a lot of trouble with 3 i got a samsung galaxy s i live in a bungalow the only room i can get a signal in is the kitchin and only one bar plus when i get phone calls it keeps breaking up .i have complained to 3 several times they reduced my price my signal was so bad i complained to 3 and refused to pay my bill they then gave me a bad credit rating .i am furious i am disabled so my phone is very important to me ,disgusting ,

12. jaybo1973

Things recently got worse for me, I dropped my phone in the bath with 6 months left on the contract, now I am using a crap backup phone with a crap signal. They had reduced my bill down to a tenner for 500mb data, 300mins and 5000 texts, good if you can get a signal.

13. leexgx

leexgx New Member

the problem i find with Three is that they do not overlap the 3g masks enough when they should know better or Fire who ever thought it was an good idea to place the masks so far apart (due to the higher band UMTS/H runs on so walls drop the signal a lot, masks should be placed 1.5 mile apart for 1800/2100 band) and to add to that due to not having an Dense 2g network that is very over lapped normally Three has lots of holes that the coverage map does not show, Mostly in houses due to there network running on the 1800/2100 band Not 800 that 2g norm uses so walls are like no signal (if i see 2-3 bars on my phone i expect the three phone not to work well in doors)

if you look at the coverage map if you can see out door only gaps on the three coverage map assume its does not work in doors well within in 250m of the out door only coverage spot or not at all (Three Reallly neeed UMA tech like Orange has or mini cells like Vodaphone, > just found three.co.uk/homesignal mini cell most likely same thing as the vodaphone mini cell)

my desire norm sees 3-7 masks in range on 2g, 3g i norm ever see 1 or 2 but Three seem to just about not place them to close to each other

other issue i have (been using giffgaff that uses O2 network and they are putting Pole masks up a lot {the mask are inside the top of the pole}) is speed due to Three having big data bundles as the all you can eat they need more masks to take even the load, i constantly get 300-400KB/s with O2, three speeds can random speeds around 100-300KB/s (but the lower is norm the better i seem to have more upload speed some times)

should get better when LTE comes out as Three are wanting the 800 or was it 900 band for LTE network to bad Voice will not be on it yet (data only unless we get phones that do mobile VOIP over LTE)

other issue as well my phone cooks it self when i use the phone on Three (i guess the HSDPA modem is running at full power to transmit the signal as i only get -100 ish or 1-2 bars (some times 3 but android stacks the first 3 bars when you only have 10-20% signal left) only the 3rd between 4th bar or higher signal should be good, android need to Spread the bars out like iphone has)

three has grate cheap phones but network seems to match the price (Orange 2g roaming should be native as well as the 2g roaming fall back does not work well if you got intermittent 3g signal) and with 2g been removed in places where its Needed (like in most houses)

14. jaybo1973

Since 3 got rid of the back up 2g (orange) in my area, it has been even worse. cant get a signal at work. I will be moving to Giff Gaff at the end of my contract

15. leexgx

leexgx New Member

only issue with giffgaff is that who ever made the system for topups and goodybags needs to get fired and get some one or an team of people to get it sorted out

last month issue was an very big issue that i have ever seen before, goodybags Stuck in updating state when i say last month issue i mean 4-6 weeks and still not sure if its fixed yet as my account has an qued goodybag that expires before the active one does, but that could be the fix

i am testing three out see if they Fixed there holes in there network, but as it still seems they cant be bothered to place new towers to cover gaps the coverage map is an lie most of the time (if there are any out door only squares on the map assume it not work if its close to where you want to use it like 200-300 meters away indoors), other networks have gaps as well but less of them (three seem to just have Bad network mask placements)

seeing if tethering works on three on this PAYG