• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone paying out-of-contract for Note III?

NJRonbo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2012
I must be out of my mind...

Went from being a loyal iPhone user for 5 years to owning my first Galaxy Note II last October. The larger screen size made all the difference in the world for me and up to present, I have been a very happy Android user.

The Note III looks very intriguing -- so much so that I am looking to pay out of contract for it. AT&T wants $725. With tax it will probably be another $50, and then there is the upgrade fee which I am not even certain what that will be.

I can sell my Note II on Gazelle and get $210 for it. Yes, I might do better on eBay, but I have sworn never to do business with them again after all the scam offers I received a year ago when trying to sell my old phone.

If I buy the Note III out of contract this year, I am eligible for contract pricing when the Note IV comes out next year, if I want it.

Anyone else so urgently wanting this new phone that they are willing to pay out-of-contract for it?

I must be out of my mind...

Went from being a loyal iPhone user for 5 years to owning my first Galaxy Note II last October. The larger screen size made all the difference in the world for me and up to present, I have been a very happy Android user.

The Note III looks very intriguing -- so much so that I am looking to pay out of contract for it. AT&T wants $725. With tax it will probably be another $50, and then there is the upgrade fee which I am not even certain what that will be.

I can sell my Note II on Gazelle and get $210 for it. Yes, I might do better on eBay, but I have sworn never to do business with them again after all the scam offers I received a year ago when trying to sell my old phone.

If I buy the Note III out of contract this year, I am eligible for contract pricing when the Note IV comes out next year, if I want it.

Anyone else so urgently wanting this new phone that they are willing to pay out-of-contract for it?

I'm with AT&T and in the same boat. Actually, I paid out of pocket for the iPhone 5 last year and they restarted my contract. Then they refused to undo the process because I waited too long to tell them (Didn't realize it until I wanted to upgrade recently).

I've chosen to use their "Next" program. They take the retail price of the phone and spread it out over 20 months. So my monthly bill goes up $35, but there is no interest, PLUS no upgrade fee. So, in the long run I actually save money. If you have the free cash, I'd still do the "Next" program, and then pay off the phone the next month. That should save you at least the $35 or $50 or whatever the upgrade fee is now, because they say you can pay it off early. PLUS, you can upgrade every year, if you want.

Here is more info on that program: AT&T Next - Get A New Phone or Tablet Every Year from AT&T Wireless

Upvote 0
I hate to use the phrase "cheat the system," but...

Can I select NEXT program, get the cost reduction and just pay it off in full when the first bill comes in?

So, essentially, I am getting the advantage of the lower price and paying it off immediately.

Is the NEXT program a payment option when preordering online via AT&T wireless?

And you are saying no upgrade fee with the NEXT option?

(Okay got the answer to the last question as I am watching the video)

Upvote 0
I hate to use the phrase "cheat the system," but...

Can I select NEXT program, get the cost reduction and just pay it off in full when the first bill comes in?

So, essentially, I am getting the advantage of the lower price and paying it off immediately.

Is the NEXT program a payment option when preordering online via AT&T wireless?

And you are saying no upgrade fee with the NEXT option?

As far as "cheat the system", yes. That's what I was saying up there is that you can pay it off early with no penalties. So at least you save the activation fee. I just read an article that they don't waive the activation and/or upgrade fee's for existing customers any longer.

Regarding online, I'm not sure. I think I've seen people on this forum state that they have signed up for the Note 3 using "Next" via online, however the customer service rep that I spoke with on the phone said the only way to sign up for it is call them. So, you can always try!

Upvote 0
I don't think there is an upgrade fee when buying out-of contract.

This is verbatim what AT&T says about that fee....

Upgrade Fee
The upgrade fee is a $36 one-time charge that applies when you purchase a new wireless device at a discount to replace an old device. The upgrade fee will be added to your next bill.

Out-of-contract phones certainly don't qualify as a discount.

Am I assuming this correctly?

Upvote 0
I don't think there is an upgrade fee when buying out-of contract.

This is verbatim what AT&T says about that fee....

Upgrade Fee
The upgrade fee is a $36 one-time charge that applies when you purchase a new wireless device at a discount to replace an old device. The upgrade fee will be added to your next bill.

Out-of-contract phones certainly don't qualify as a discount.

Am I assuming this correctly?

hmmmm good catch. From that wording, it appears that if you pay full price you don't have to worry about the fee.

Upvote 0
The price likely WILL drop... for CONTRACT pricing. Retail pricing, on the other hand, rarely drops and certainly not THAT fast. You might want to clarify that with your friend. I know a lot of people reading this would love to have that verified :)
You are right. I will try on Craig's list and eBay. He thought that I was talking about doing the Edge thing. I told him that I want to keep my Unlimited plan.. He told me then there is no reason to wait. I hope that I can find it cheaper like I found the s4 for my sister for $300 3 weeks after it was released. I will be happy paying $500 or $600.

Upvote 0
You can try Swappa too, although it may take awhile to see gently used Note 3s on there. :)

The best place to sell your phone is on Amazon. Create a free merchant account and sell it under existing listing. I just looked it up and see the cheapest used N2 goes for $330 + $5 shipping, and it has scratched screen. Gazelle buys it for dirt cheap and then either resells it for spare parts or for $100 more on Amazon under a different name merchant account.

Early this year I sold my original old DX and Fascinate on Amazon for almost $100 each, Gazelle was offering 1/3 of that ;)

Reactions: The_Chief and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Yes, i'm paying out of contract. I sold my Nexus 10 and have my S4 on ebay now to do it.
I have not gotten any scam emails. But if I did, so what? I'd either ignore them or mess with them for a bit. No big deal.

My biggest issue with ebay are the ridiculous fees they and paypal charge.

Gazelle is one of the worst places to sell your stuff. There are several others that pay more. But still not what you'd get on ebay. I've never sold anything on amazon but i'm intrigued.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones